Two Worlds

Asbjoern

N'wah
Hi RPGWatch and fellow members of this board.

I'm writing to hear what your plans are with community features related to the recently released "Two Worlds"?
Are you planning on opening up a forum or perhaps even a wiki?
Or are you still awaiting the reviews?

And what do people think of the ideas? Perhaps there won't be sufficient users to make the efforts worthwhile?

Regards Asbjørn

Generally, traffic determines the opening of a new forum, so we will have to wait and see; don't forget, it won't be available for most of the world until the end of June. We will definitely be writing a review of the game, but it won't come out until August at the earliest, and more likely September. We hope to do something like out NWN 2 review, with comments from several people, and that takes time. Wikis take a LOT of time and effort. WE don't have that time, but if people like yourself wish to volunteer to make one, then it's possible we can accomodate that. Myrthos and Arhu make those decisions. Hope that helps!! :)

Yes, thanks Corwin. You're always kind to answer RPGWatch questions.

I've been having some thoughts about opening a wiki myself, but if RPGWatch would open one, I would definitely use that as a platform instead. I really like the idea of wikis and I would be more than willing to contribute to a wiki or even moderate a Two Worlds forum should you need the help.

Regards Asbjørn

EDIT: Disclaimer :) - Should Two Worlds turn out to be an Oblivion clone then perhaps I'd not be willing to help after all. But let's see.

Well, we have a codebase that includes a wiki, so it's certainly possible. There are two main questions: is it worth the effort and who will do it?

It's too early for me to tell if the game will gather a community - let's see what further reactions are like but if you decide you are interested in doing a wiki yourself, talk to us first. I'd rather pool resources to both our advantages, if we can.

What about witcher? any chance seeing withcerdot/forum? :)

Well, we have a codebase that includes a wiki, so it's certainly possible. There are two main questions: is it worth the effort and who will do it?
Bartacus and me have an ongoing discussion about killing off the G3 wiki and recycling the material for GothicWatch. IMHO the 1% rule also applies for a hardcore gamer site like RPGWatch, which means we are too small to run an active wiki.

A fan site requires less time to maintain than a wiki you feel you have to fill with material. So if any of you wants to run a site for a certain game, and shouldn´t be much of a problem to clone RPGWatch, change the menu and add a couple of graphics and another graphics scheme. The software in the background is comfortable.

Generally speaking we will only open a site if somebody volunteers to run it. Web development is unnecessary, but regular content and / or news updates are a must.

Just so I've understood what you're saying, Gorath. Will this mean that you are going to close down your wiki section completely at some point? When GothicWatch is up and running.

Maybe, maybe not. We´re thinking about it.

Last week we had to kill the spam in the wiki 3 times. Approximately another 10 pages are full of spam because the user permissions don´t work as designed. We´ve had 1000s of spam comments since the wiki opened.
A wiki´s sole purpose is making data available for editing by the public. It picked up in the last 2 weeks, so maybe it´s too early to kill it off. But generally speaking, why should we spend so much time moderating and maintaining a wiki if nobody partcipates?
The spam is the reason why I said that a site is much easier to maintain than a wiki. Maybe creating a basic article takes 1 or 2 minutes longer than it would in a wiki, but after that we can forget about it. In the wiki it can be replaced with spam every minute - and the chances are high nobody would tell us about it.

If we kill the wiki (almost) all content will be copied to articles. So nothing will be lost.
If the G3Wiki is discontinued it´s more than likely no other wiki will be opened. Which game could drive a successful wiki on RPGWatch if not Gothic?

The only comment I'd make (and I don't know if this would have helped or not) is that we didn't push it through the front page / news. I was sort of waiting for it to be properly skinned and then lost sight of it.

Maybe we should put a notice for it on the front page (not just a newsbit). I'm sure there are people who only come here for the news and not the forums that are completely unaware of it.

Also, people should be made aware of its lack of activity. I never even bothered to think of adding content to it until recently. I figured anything I might have to add would already be there by all of the overzealous fanboys.

I think the fact you have a wiki should be a newsbit myself. Post up what is available so far and then spread the news about it on other forums. ( The Dot is in sad need of some active help on the G3 subject.)

Back
Top Bottom