Your first CRPG

Don't laught at me, but my first cRPG was Spellforce 1. :)
I tried Diablo 2 earlier, but found it a mindless, boring game so gave it up after some hours, and decided not to try any RPG ever!
I was fond of RTS and adventure games that time, and Spellforce was mentioned as a great RTS with RPG elements in magazines, so tried it.
Lucky me, I realized that RPG's are not that kill-everything-in-sight type of games what I thought after Diablo.:)

I know many who use "Diablo" as a reference to why CRPG's are "unworthy" compared to Pen and Paper roleplaying.

I know quite a LOT of people who don't Blizzards Action-RPGs as no C-RPGs at all !

To me, it's just a sub-genre ...

And Spellforce is actually another sub-genre or even an own genre in itself.

Indeed, neither one of those games are cRPGs. They are both games with rpg elements, certainly, but a cRPG is a "classic roleplaying game", meaning you need a heavier focus on the actual roleplaying. At least, in my opinion.

Truth be told, I enjoyed both D2 and SpellForce. :)

I have the game, but can't get it to work at all, not even with a Dos simulator :( I would love to play it, it sounds great. Unfortunately it won't let me save, says it needs CD6 (or something) inserted, but I only have 1 CD...

Ok. The copy of EoB I have came from "The Forgotten Realms Archives". All three EoBs are on one CD. I copy the eye directory (which is EoB1) to my hard disk with the usual XP tools. Run install but get a daft message which I ignore. I have VDMS on my PC. In the hard disk directory of eye I right click on the "start.bat" file and select "Run with VDMS". Follow the instructions, don't register, VGA, Soundblaster, Y to mouse. Runs with sound and works fine.

Save and Load work fine as well but there is only one save file which the documentation seems to support.

I know that Dosbox supports EoB.

By the way the NWN mod is excellent though there is far too much treasure.

I also started late, and Might and Magic VI was my first CRPG. I was totally shamelessly addicted to it. I even called in sick to work once to have a whole day to myself to play it ---a fine example I set my son! : ) I had the PC Gamer magazine strat guide which I photocopied and have to this day, all folded and grundgy and covered with notes on where to find the skill trainers...yes, good times.

M&M 6-8 were fun games, but in some ways, the 4/5 combo was better. What annoyed me the most about them, was everyone tearing them apart for lousy graphics!! Who cared about the quality of the graphics, when they were so much FUN to play!!

Totally agree. Graphics are nice, but FUN is always better. :)

The Might & Magic series was interesting. They were very fun, I give you that, but especially the last ones did not have the professional finish you can expect from a game at it's price. It was like they fired their graphican in Might and Magic 6 and then reused the same graphics through the reminder of the series, making the last games look very old. The last ones was also comical in nature, I have a friend who even felt insulted over how "light hearted" it was. I remember that there were an NPC in the later games they named "Ludvig Van Beethoven", and then there was a cult that worshipped a giant chicken. Humor in RPG's are nice, but only if they are delivered with some dignity.

My first Crpg was Diablo, loved it to the max. was first pc game I really played.
next game was Dungeon Keeper.
D2 was lame and boring. D1 kept me going

The Might & Magic series was interesting. They were very fun, I give you that, but especially the last ones did not have the professional finish you can expect from a game at it's price. It was like they fired their graphican in Might and Magic 6 and then reused the same graphics through the reminder of the series, making the last games look very old. The last ones was also comical in nature, I have a friend who even felt insulted over how "light hearted" it was. I remember that there were an NPC in the later games they named "Ludvig Van Beethoven", and then there was a cult that worshipped a giant chicken. Humor in RPG's are nice, but only if they are delivered with some dignity.

Most intelligent and sane human beings cringe when M&M 9 is mentioned!! We try never to discuss it and we all pretend the series stopped with 8, though many wish 7 were the last!! The bottom line was money; M&M 9 was clearly unfinished and rushed out the door in a vain attempt to get a quick cash hit to save the rapidly sinking parent company. It didn't work!!

What a world we live in, where passing ruffians will say "MM9" in the presence of women and children. Fie on thee, foul blackguard!

Might and Magic 9? Never heard of, it stopped with Might and Magic 8 as far as I'm concerned..

After the challenge of 7, 8 was TOO easy, but it was fun having a dragon in the party!!

Most intelligent and sane human beings cringe when M&M 9 is mentioned!!
I liked it, despite the bugs... but you said 'human', didn't you :p.

I loved having a Dark Elf + 4 dragon party in MM8. It was redicilously easy, and becomes tedious if you do it too much, but it's fun to be overpowered from time to time, hehe. :)

Back
Top Bottom