Gothic 2 Upcoming Gothic II texture pack

I think you should see if you can somehow improve the Seekers,they were the most memorable Gothic II enemies.

Sherwinz28: do you mean the textures themselves or modding Gothic2 in general? I use Photoshop CS5 for the most part, but also Blender 2.49b for 3D modelling. I can give you a few steps, but you have to be more specific :)

Kostaz: I might look into that :)

I think i need to play through the game now with what i have so far, to see what needs to be changed and whatnot.

The mod now has about 340 new or enchanced textures (vs ~240 when i started the thread 6 days ago.)

Gothic2 has about 2400 textures and that doesnt include the expansion. It's quite low compared to games like Morrowind which has almost the double.

Goblin Enhanced

Minecrawler Warrior Enhanced

Last edited:
Very nice that you are taking the time to do this, bemushroomed :)

Two questions:
Any idea when you will be done?

How long would you say it takes to make a texture pack like that?

I think i can have a version out in a few weeks. It won't cover every texture, but should cover most textures that you see a lot of in the game. I don't want the game to look to "patchy", like a hi-res texture here, and a low-res texture next to it..

A texture pack that would cover every of the 2400+ textures in Gothic2 would take months or even years depending on how often you work on it and the quality you're willing to put in into every texture. I've been working with this mod for a little more than 2 weeks now, usually 5-12 hours every day.

great work, with the patch nvidia did for windows7 i'll reinstall it and give this a go :)

Don't hatch too much hope in Nvidia fixing our problems. At least the game now runs under Windows 7, but i have massive framerate drops and view distance also fluctuates all the time, although i have it set to 300%. I guess we need a miracle to get the game working correctly under win 7 (read: someone needs to coax a programming genius like Timeslip into playing and liking Gothic).

Arent there any .ini tweaks for the nvidia users that could work? I have that view distance fluctuation too i believe (ATI), but only (if i recall correctly) when i use zfogzone to extend it beyond 300%. There are quite a few .ini settings, 1-2 that are specific for nvidia cards (for the old cards at least), maybe something in there could fix it?

The mod is going well. I've joined up with the german Gothic Reloaded mod team. They're recreating textures and meshes for Gothic1, so im helping out with that too now. It seems like i will be able to get access to some of these textures for this mod. We'll see how it progresses. Their textures are amazingly well done, take a look in the gallery.

Arent there any .ini tweaks for the nvidia users that could work? I have that view distance fluctuation too i believe (ATI), but only (if i recall correctly) when i use zfogzone to extend it beyond 300%. There are quite a few .ini settings, 1-2 that are specific for nvidia cards (for the old cards at least), maybe something in there could fix it?

The mod is going well. I've joined up with the german Gothic Reloaded mod team. They're recreating textures and meshes for Gothic1, so im helping out with that too now. It seems like i will be able to get access to some of these textures for this mod. We'll see how it progresses. Their textures are amazingly well done, take a look in the gallery.

Yeah, i've kept an eye on that mod for a long time now. Every new batch of screenshots from them looks more and more impressive. The downside of this is they'll probably eventually start redoing their older batch of textures as the new stuff looks too good :D Anyway, you teaming up with them is fantastic news.

Reloaded is big,but it's so ambitious that I doubt it'll ever finish.

I'm not getting my hopes up for a release of that mod either, and it's what i'm saying to them. The texture artist i'm talking to seem to agree with that fact, but he isnt willing to change.

Every texture is viewed very, very carefully in Photoshop, and even if it can look good or great in-game they dont care, it is rejected immediately if it doesnt look "right" when studying every detail in Photoshop.. I'm not sure what gamers are gaining from that, it's a bit of a mutual pissing contest i'd say. I've joined but i have hard time looking at it seriously to be completely honest.

This looks unfu!*in' real!

You should open up a paypal donations type dealy, I'm sure people would support this project.. I would.

Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on this :)

Gothic 2's gameplay was awesome and I would replay it over Gothic 3 or Arcania, which both turned out to be rubbish...

Sure the graphics of 3 & 4 are better than 2 but what good are graphics if the gameplay is lacking?..

This is what modern developers don't seem to understand.. Like the Final Fantasy series. The old ones on PS1 were awesome, the ones on PS2 were OK and XIII on PS3 is truly awful. Gamers want games that are fun to play and don't just look good aesthetically.

Gothic 2 is probably my favorite game in ever, and you're giving it new life. Hats off to you good sir :)

I havent worked on this for some time now, but i should release what i have. i never meant to retexture the whole game, just the textures i disliked, it's now much bigger than i imagined from the start. Still no idea where to upload 300 or so MB though..

You can create a .rar achive, split it to two(or more) files and upload them anywhere you want.

bemushroomed, we really really really need a texture artist for Tactica..... would you be interested?

Back
Top Bottom