M&M: Heroes VI - Console Versions a Possibility?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Cramgaming has a two part video interview with Creative Director Erwan Le Breton.
Here is part one.

And here is part two.

We spoke with the creative director working on the Might & Magic franchise Erwan Le Breton and asked about a console version of the PC specific turn based strategy game. From what was gathered, the team would very much like to break into the console market with the franchise but would have to tailor the game to suit the console audience as the current PC set up wouldn’t work so well using a standard controller. We also asked whether there was a possibility with next generation systems on the horizon and it seems this is something the team are in discussions with at Ubisoft, where finding the correct studio to handle the game’s possible development would be key.
Might & Magic’s latest expansion Shades of Darkness is coming to PC on May 2nd and is the latest in a long line of extras for the basic Might & Magic Heroes VI game which released quite some time ago. We like the idea of a console version and would hope if the game was brought to the console audience it would be on next generation systems – whether the game would retain its turn based roots is up in the air, but the rich and diverse history of the series would make for some interesting gameplay elements.
More information.

I'm more curious as to whether or not the Might & Magic series (Heroes or otherwise) is capable of producing a notably entertaining title. While the technical qualities appear to be advancing at the pace of the industry as a whole, they have yet to evolve their Heroes recipe into a more immersive and strategically interesting game. And they haven't made any good use of their strong classic 1st-person RPG background, while small independent games like Grimrock with hardly a small fraction of the resources are instead filling the space and appeasing an audience that has, so it seems, given up on any of the major studios.

While the technical qualities appear to be advancing at the pace of the industry as a whole, they have yet to evolve their Heroes recipe into a more immersive and strategically interesting game.
What you call "technical qualities" is not necessarily a good thing. As far as I'm concerned, every attempt to include 3D-technology has been detrimental to the Heroes series. Heroes III had the best gameplay and graphics. In no way are the recent games better looking or more fun to play.

The only game in this genre to come even close to the greatness of Heroes III in my book is Ages of Wonder II.

I'd be much more interested if they make a tablet version. These type of games are perfect to be played on the road (while waiting 2 hours for your flight, or on your 3 hour flight).

Again though, on tablets or consoles do people really want to be forced to stay online to get the full game version? I don't think so!

-Carn

Again though, on tablets or consoles do people really want to be forced to stay online to get the full game version? I don't think so!

-Carn

No but like Blizzard with Diablo 3 the online requirement will be removed for tablets or consoles. Followed by some statement saying why it works offline, and why it wont on the pc.

They actually do that, and get away with it??? Holy crap, some companies have some really huge balls. For me that changes everything, now if the online requirement ever goes away, I still won't buy it!!

-Carn

What you call "technical qualities" is not necessarily a good thing. As far as I'm concerned, every attempt to include 3D-technology has been detrimental to the Heroes series. Heroes III had the best gameplay and graphics. In no way are the recent games better looking or more fun to play.

The only game in this genre to come even close to the greatness of Heroes III in my book is Ages of Wonder II.

Everyone claims this, yet I don't understand. Note that I'm an amateur when it comes to HoMM series, but in HoMM 5 every creature had passive bonuses, resistances, attributes and active skills, plus racial abilities for both you and your hero. Different races are coherent, make sense and play completely differently from each other. When I recently tried getting back to HoMM 3, I noticed how quickly the hero levelled up and units that have neither active skills or anything to really distinguish them.

HoMM 6 is my favourite due to the character system. I also have a soft spot for HoMM 4 because of campaigns and the hero systems.

The new developers are all HoMM fans and it makes sense for the games to become more complex. Yet everyone keeps saying that 3rd somehow got it perfect.

I do agree with you that the 3D in general is awful. The campaigns would have been much improved without the horrid cinematics.

I did not state that it was good or bad. I simply stated a relevant fact to recognize a way in which they are changing. Furthermore, to say that the graphics engine is directly detrimental to gameplay is something you would need to explain with something other than an expression of personal bias. While I am also not a fan of any existing 3D turned based strategy games that doesn't mean it can't be done right or that it is the cause of poor gameplay.

Furthermore, to say that the graphics engine is directly detrimental to gameplay is something you would need to explain with something other than an expression of personal bias. While I am also not a fan of any existing 3D turned based strategy games that doesn't mean it can't be done right or that it is the cause of poor gameplay.
I never said that 3D is necessarily a bad thing, only that the implementation of 3D has been detrimental to the Heroes series so far. If done in some other way, it might have turned out better. Who knows?

I'm mostly talking about the overland map here. It's supposed to be a map, not an actual landscape. This is a game with a high level of abstraction; towns and armies are represented by icons, basically. I like the way it all comes together in Heroes III. It's visually appealing, yet clear and functional. The later versions look good enough, but don't work as well in practce. The overland 3D view in V and VI is closer to something that you would expect in a third person action game. I would prefer a map that looks like a map. Also, the clarity and functionality of the town building view in Heroes III has yet to be matched.

Of course it's my personal bias, but I know that it's shared by many.

Back
Top Bottom