Gothic 2 Gothic 2 NOTR under vista 64

cptmaxon

Watchdog
hey guys
saw that the mod Valeya story of a warrior came out in English, and it jacked me up to play G2 again, I got a new system which runs on vista 64 and although installation went smoothly.
there is no speech!, I can select an option on what to say, and then it instantly comes back to the dialog select screen, without the nameless hero or Xardas(this is as far as I got:)) say anything!.
I've already put Gothic 2 to run as administrator and in compatibility mode of XP with SP2. and I still get it to work:(. I'm so sad right now.
any ideas are welcomed!
thanks!

I don't have Vista but you might want to check out the GOG edition. It's on sale for $7.49 and it's DRM free and may be more compatible. Also, their support is great - might be worth looking into.

Try disabling your anti-virus.

fragonard if I buy GOG version it will the third time of me buying gothic 2 lol, once when it came out, second time when NOTR came out but only sold in the gold edition, does GOG offer downloads?
I'll try disabling my AV thanks Kostaz

Tips and Tricks

I had lot of problems with Gothic 2 in Win7 (x86), but finally get it working perfectly. No need to run it as admistrator or in compatibility mode.

Here's what I did:

Required steps:
1. Installed Game (Gold == Original + NoTR) all 4 CDs.

2. Installed gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev1.exe.

3. Installed gothic2_vdfs-patch.exe.

4. Installed Community Patch v1.0a (fixes Widescreen and lot of bugs!)

5. Disabled video scaling because my videos only had audio! (system/gothic2.ini):
scaleVideos=0

Optional INI tweaks: (Might not work for all!)

6. Better textures Sumpfis Texture Patch v1.0

7. Ini Tweaks

- Custom resolution (system/gothic2.ini file):
zVidResFullscreenX=1680
zVidResFullscreenY=1050
zVidResFullscreenBPP=32
extendedMenu=1

- Antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and other graphic candy:
zTexAnisotropicFiltering=1
zVidEnableAntiAliasing=1
zSubdivSurfacesEnabled=1
zCloudShadowScale=1
zTexCacheSizeMaxBytes=128000000
zSndCacheSizeMaxBytes=80000000

- Quick Save (F5 save, F9 load):
useQuickSaveKeys=1

- Shortcuts for healing- and mana potions (appears in ingame settings):
usePotionKeys=1

- Harder pick locks (no more cheating by loading the savegame!):
pickLockScramble=1

- Adds more audio providers (like Dolby Surround):
extendedProviders=1

- More blood (bleeding):
bloodDetail=3

- No intro videos:
playLogoVideos=0

gothic2hires.png

Welcome to Khorinis… adventure awaits!

PS. Most of the patches/mods are german, but they don't affect to actual game localization.

Last edited:
PS. Most of the patches/mods are german, but they don't affect to actual game localization.
Cool, I will check that out soon on my polish version and Windows 7. I'll write if it works or not.

It didn't help me :( I have graphic issues as I had before. I guess old Gothics won't ever work on 64-bit systems.

BTW be careful when you install things from Ergonpandilus links. After installing them I had german menus, english subtitles and polish dubbing ;)

It didn't help me :( I have graphic issues as I had before. I guess old Gothics won't ever work on 64-bit systems.

BTW be careful when you install things from Ergonpandilus links. After installing them I had german menus, english subtitles and polish dubbing ;)

I guess then it won't work in x64, but atleast on x86 it works perfectly.

That language this is not true! The whole game is in english for me. Just check gothic.ini that you have the language settings properly. Only thing you will have in german are the installers of the patches/mods. But it does NOT affect to the game.

Whatever, I just uninstalled the game :p But it doesn't matter for me if the game is unplayable. I wouldn't have the all-english version because I have polish so even if everything else is translated to english, I'd have polish dubbing until I'd have replaced it with english files. Thanks for trying to help anyway, I appriciate it.

EDIT:
BTW. I wouldn't want to change everything to english anyway since polish version is much better in my opinion :p

I´m running this game on Windows 7 (64x edition) with an x64 AMD 6000+ /8600GTS, so it´s working with x64 based systems. At first after installing the game it wouldn´t start at all, but I followed Ergonpandilus steps and voilá it worked!

I only got the german language with the updates, but the game itself where all in english both menus, text, and speech..

And you did change the language in gothic.ini-file?

The problem could be the community patch (step 4). Give it a shot WITHOUT it.

Please Help

Hi! I am trying to get Gothic II to work with Windows 7 and although it starts okay, as soon as I go to leave xardas's tower, my screen turns light blue and I can't see anything. I attempted to use your steps below, but my computer won't let me install the first patch (the install button is grayed out), and it also won't let me install the patch for the textures - but it did allow me to do the other patches - so I'm not sure what is going on.

Please help me figure out how to fix this problem - I'm not a real technical person, but I love playing Gothic and I"m really stuck with this issue!

Oh, I"m not sure if this matters, but I'm using an ASUS laptop.

Thanks for your help!!!

Take Care,
Katie

I had lot of problems with Gothic 2 in Win7 (x86), but finally get it working perfectly. No need to run it as admistrator or in compatibility mode.

Here's what I did:

Required steps:
1. Installed Game (Gold == Original + NoTR) all 4 CDs.

2. Installed gothic2_vdfs-patch.exe.

3. Installed gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev1.exe.

4. Installed Community Patch v1.0a (fixes Widescreen and lot of bugs!)

5. Disabled video scaling because my videos only had audio! (system/gothic2.ini):
scaleVideos=0

Optional INI tweaks: (Might not work for all!)

6. Better textures Sumpfis Texture Patch v1.0

7. Ini Tweaks

- Custom resolution (system/gothic2.ini file):
zVidResFullscreenX=1680
zVidResFullscreenY=1050
zVidResFullscreenBPP=32
extendedMenu=1

- Antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and other graphic candy:
zTexAnisotropicFiltering=1
zVidEnableAntiAliasing=1
zSubdivSurfacesEnabled=1
zCloudShadowScale=1
zTexCacheSizeMaxBytes=128000000
zSndCacheSizeMaxBytes=80000000

- Quick Save (F5 save, F9 load):
useQuickSaveKeys=1

- Shortcuts for healing- and mana potions (appears in ingame settings):
usePotionKeys=1

- Harder pick locks (no more cheating by loading the savegame!):
pickLockScramble=1

- Adds more audio providers (like Dolby Surround):
extendedProviders=1

- More blood (bleeding):
bloodDetail=3

- No intro videos:
playLogoVideos=0

gothic2hires.png

Welcome to Khorinis… adventure awaits!

Check the ATI/NVidia workaround settings from INI file.

I'm having a peculiar problem with Gothic 2 and Win 7 (32 bit). Like you, I was originally unable to get G2 running in Win 7, but following your advice, I finally got it running. However, I'm getting no dialogues! I can hear music, and sound FX, but once I start to talk with an NPC, there is no sound and it just skips the voice-over. I can see my dialogue options, but the nameless hero will not speak the sentences out loud and any replies from the NPCs are just skipped. Anyone have ideas how to fix this problem? I'd really appreciate help, as I'm so close of getting G2 NOTR running, that I'm just itching to play it.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit), I've got an ATI 5850 graphics card, ASUS P7P55D-E mobo with integrated sound, and Intel i7 860 quad core processor. I've got the GOG version of Gothic 2 Gold and I have installed the patches (items 2,3 and 4 on Ergonpandilus' list) and I've disabled viedo scaling (as I too had the same problem).

I've fiddled with the sound settings in the options, tried this setting and that, but nothing seems to help. I'm at a loss, what could be causing this? Help!!

EDIT: Tried looking for language settings in the INI file, but couldn't find anything even hinting that way. Maybe that's the problem?

Sounds a bit tough one, if you enable subtitles are those still coming? There is a newer version of community patch, v2.0 out there if you like to give it a shot.

First thing to do, of course, is try to newer/different soundcard drivers. Though, I hardly believe it would be sound card issue, since the sound fx is coming out as well as music. Maybe one of those patches that I put there is the issue and messes up the language. And try run it in admin, if you still haven't.

PS. There is a fresh fix for nVidia owners! http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=832583

Sounds a bit tough one, if you enable subtitles are those still coming? There is a newer version of community patch, v2.0 out there if you like to give it a shot.
Subtitles won't make a difference as the dialogue just skips over anything the NPCs say - no voice, no subtitles. It just jumps over the NPC dialogue like it wasn't there. SOmewhere along the line the patches changed my NOTR launch window to the German version (so it reads Die Nacht des Raben), but the game itself is in English (menus and narrator/Xardas voice in the beginning). This could be an indication that the language files where messed up somehow. Is there a language setting in the INI file? I can't find one.

Oh well, I'll try reinstalling the game and go with the v2.0 of the community patch (I used the v1.0b). I'll try the game first with the vdsf-patch only, if it won't start, then install the fix 2.6.0.0, and test, then the community patch. I'm a bit sceptic though, but test first, moan later. ;)

P.S: I tried Admin mode and XP compatibility mode already, no help there. Also, my sound drivers are up to date. (And as you said, music and sound FX work just fine, so it shouldn't be a sound driver issue.)

You may try this:
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=732368
You need the so-called Report Version of Gothic 2. But note: Due to incompatible naming conventions you will probably have no sound and no subtitles in your original Gothic 2 after installing this patch. To fix this problem do the following:
  • Go to <Your Gothic directory>/_work/data/scripts/content/cutscene
  • Rename the file Ou.dat to Ou.bin
  • Rename the file Ou.lsc to Ou.csl
I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom