Alpha Protocol - Impressions @ NowGamer

I believe there's some tactics involved in the dialogue. You can do research on the main npcs and find out what stance works best with them and what doesn't. If you do not choose in time, the game makes the decision for you and the result might not be optimal.

Hmm, not sure I like the sound of that.

But I'll try to keep an open mind.

It worked fairly well in Indigo Prophecy. Personally I liked it cause it's more realistic then the standard dialogue tree. You ARE having a conversation with an NPC, aren't you? They just need a setting for timer speed so as not to hurt the slow readers.

It worked fairly well in Indigo Prophecy. Personally I liked it cause it's more realistic then the standard dialogue tree. You ARE having a conversation with an NPC, aren't you? They just need a setting for timer speed so as not to hurt the slow readers.

Single words are read pretty fast by most, though :)

That said, I'm for realism when it enhances gameplay - which I find to be the exception rather than the rule, because realism needs to be simulated properly and not clumsily abstracted.

In essence, it takes a very strong game designer to pull that off - and generally we don't have many of those left.

Yeah, that's actually just about the ONLY game mechanic I liked in Fahrenheit. Great story, great characters, great settings, god-awful gameplay, and the worst sex scenes in a game EVER.

Isn't it going to emulate the ME dialogue system?

As in one-word choices?

Why would you need a timer for that - it boggles the mind...

If it's redundant, what difference does it make? You'll have made your choice before the timer runs out, right?

Given that this is a shooter-RPG, I have no problem with them embracing the action side to speed up the pace. I can't tell if it will work but I don't mind the idea of being forced into quick decisions in the context of a spy action game.

Most games tell me the world is going to end! Act quickly! Now!!! And then encourage me to save kittens in trees. I like my deliberate turn-based CRPGs but this is clearly an action framework, so it's a good decision to embrace that fully.

If it's redundant, what difference does it make? You'll have made your choice before the timer runs out, right?

It makes no significant difference, I just don't understand it :)

I like when things make sense and this doesn't - YET. It may make sense when I see it in action, but it was just an observation.

Actually, I was half-way hoping that some of you following development closer, might be able to explain the feature.

Ok? :)

Second: Sneakers. I hate sneakers. Too slow and the only tactical options available are hide and sneak past or sneak up and kill them. I hated Thief and all games like that. Please let there be different ways of playing the game. I don't mind sneaking sometimes, but all the time will drive me nuts.

I've always had the impression that this game *was* like Thief and Splinter Cell but done as an RPG. Yeah, you can do them *just* by sneaking or you can shoot/stab a lot of stuff but you are still going to be sneaking a lot.

Anyway, if my impression is true you won't like this game and I am not even sure why you are interested in it.

I think you're a bit off (not having actually seen it myself) but I'm pretty sure the basic mode (unless you choose otherwise) is a lot more shooty. I don't think Thief is a good comparison in general, except perhaps if you actively choose a stealth approach.

I think you're a bit off (not having actually seen it myself) but I'm pretty sure the basic mode (unless you choose otherwise) is a lot more shooty. I don't think Thief is a good comparison in general, except perhaps if you actively choose a stealth approach.

That is my impression - it is basically a shooter-RPG that has options for the player to make it more Thief-ish if they want.

Back
Top Bottom