About your profile - yes, yours!

Why not. One field for hardware and one for OS or do you have anything else in mind? It shouldn't be too detailed though, a hardware list (including consoles) can quickly grow too large, better let the user decide about the specifics.

I think that one free-form text field for all should be enough; after all, there might even be some console users here. Or someone might want to list more than one machine (e.g. a handheld).

EDIT: Unless you consider something like max. 120 characters too large.

Being New Here may i say that..I like Arhu`s Idea" It would be nice to have.And it would be adding more info" be it a Server or PS2, XBOX,or PC"
Or it would also be nice to have how many visitors look at your Profile this may help it??
of course tis only my opinion..So far everything is good from what ive seen so far

Some info about the hardware and OS people are using would be nice; would also be handy to check when someone has technical problems. I think this would be something people would actually put in their profile, at least when registering the first time.

Implemented as suggested.

Example: Arhu's profile

Everyone: Update your profile today!

What I'm not sure about is the display order of the profile fields.. System specs first or interests first?

I think you got it right--system specs first. We're talking about geeks here, right? :)

I would say that the system specs. should be last. It sort of ruins the flow or chronology of information otherwise. The "Interest" fields is personal information so it makes sense to have it displayed after the initial personal information.

I don't fill out the bio or about me forms simplay because I deem it ti be to private. Sometimes, I fill out the occupation form with the words 'teacher', as is this fairly neutral. A form or slot for Gender would be nice, I think, not at least for stats purposes. And maybe a slot for favorite rpgs, adventure games etc. and such things. The computer specs for your computer would be a nice add-on slot, too, I think. OS+RAM+Videocard would be OK, I think for this.

/Karsten

Arhu already added profile slots for gender, machine stats and favorite CRPGs/other games.

Ok just filled in the bio but haven't got a clue about my sys specs lol. I pretty much just know I have to go buy a new one every 2 to 3 years, other than that I just pray that it runs.

Since your os is win xp, this is pretty easy to explain:
Start - Programs - Accessories - System tools - System information.
Or the properties of 'My Computer' already reveal the cpu and the RAM in it displayed.

Thanks, Then I got AMD athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+, 2 gigs ram and NVIDIA GeoForce 7600GT. Thanks I forgot about the 'My Computer' properties and display properties :)

Back
Top Bottom