What are you reading?

My wife and I are both reading a book called "In the Belly of Jonah". It has been free on Kindle and Nook twice in the last year, and last time I grabbed it for Nook ... Otherwise it costs about $8. It is an enjoyable mystery and there is a sequel we are looking forward to checking out.

Thanks! I'll check those out. Looks like they have the Iain M. Banks "Culture" stuff on Audible. Is the first one, "Consider Phlebas" a good place to start?

While it is not exactly mandatory to read the books in order to enjoy or get into them, I think it is good that people start the series from there to get some of the bigger scope of Bank's universe (plus its a pretty damn good book. period).

That said, I consider the Use of weapons the best and most moving I have read so far and Excession the most "blockbuster" flashy and entertaining crowd pleaser (not to imply anything about its quality). What I am driving at is: yes do start with Consider Phlebas but keep in mind that it gets even better ;)

Anyone have any good "space opera" sci-fi recommendations? Especially stuff kind of like Star Trek where it involves space exploration, planetary adventures and dealing with alien cultures? Or the kind of stuff that might have inspired the game Starflight? My sci-fi reading experience has been pretty limited as I've largely stuck to fantasy over the years. But I'm really in the mood for some good space opera sci-fi lately.
You might take a peek at Simon Green's Deathstalker series. I don't particularly care for sci-fi, but I do enjoy Simon Green so I gave the series a try. 3 books in so far (out of 8, IIRC), and it's fairly good stuff. Definitely qualifies in the "space opera" category including lots of the specific aspects you want.

Thanks all for the space opera suggestions!
I usually don't much like the space opera stuff, but this series is excellent! I'm more of a hard science fiction buff.

Oh, I also like hard science fiction sometimes as well, so if anyone has suggestions for that subgenre too, fire away.

I'll beat Thrasher to the punch on this one because I know he enjoyed it as well:

The Mars trilogy from Kim Stanley Robinson
(I thought the series went a little downhill with each book, but they were still quite good—the first one, Red Mars, is great)

That's probably the only one I've stuck with in the sub-genre. Like I said, sci-fi really isn't my bag.

For me, currently working on the latest Instrumentalities of the Night book from Glen Cook. Been a little while since I read the first 2 books in the series, so I'm still regaining my bearings. Decent story so far, though.

For classic Space Opera, you can't go past E E (Doc) Smith. He practically invented the genre. Libraries should have most of his stuff as much would be OoP now.

I'll second DTE's recommendation about the Red Mars series. It's also neat if you like deep character development. There are some VERY interesting personas in the series. It's written in first person mode, switching between the various protagonists in big chunks. Good stuff!

I have other recommendations, but let me gather my thoughts.

Thanks for the other suggestions on the sci-fi stuff. I have a bunch I plan to read / listen to now. I found out my local library has free audiobooks and ebooks for download using my library membership, so this has expanded what I have available by a lot!

Just finished listening to "Falling Free" by Lois McMaster Bujold. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but was an enjoyable story after all. I like her writing style and plan to listen to more of her work - going to try to get "Shards of Honor" from the library site next.

"Consider Phlebas" and "Red Mars" are also in my queue. I found some E.E. "Doc" Smith stuff on Librivox and will be checking that out as well.

reading stephen king's Dark Tower series, on book 2 "The Drawing of the Three"

cooool!! Ive read the first 3 books! Awesome! Stephen King is absolutely my favorite author, but i Find some difficulties in reading it in original language (I'm italian).
Now i'm reading 2012 la fine del mondo (in english is 2012 the end of the world), in this book a famous scientist explain the thesis arount the end of the world in december… at the beghinnin a little boring, but after some pages became drammatically interesting!

I just finished reading a set of e-novels by Joseph Lallo. It's typical fantasy fare but I enjoyed some unique heroes. There are 5 people born with just a spark of the divine that marks them as the Chosen. The only problem is that most of them could care less about saving the world and are interested in their own goals. The guy stays focused and there is almost no fluff, so that's another positive. The first book is free and the other two are like $3 each.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9354

reading stephen king's Dark Tower series, on book 2 "The Drawing of the Three"

This is as far as I could get in this series. I have tried reading the Wastelands on 2-3 different occasions and for whatever reason I can't get into it. It's a shame because I love King & I enjoy post-apoc settings.

Thanks for the other suggestions on the sci-fi stuff. I have a bunch I plan to read / listen to now. I found out my local library has free audiobooks and ebooks for download using my library membership, so this has expanded what I have available by a lot!

Just finished listening to "Falling Free" by Lois McMaster Bujold. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but was an enjoyable story after all. I like her writing style and plan to listen to more of her work - going to try to get "Shards of Honor" from the library site next.

"Consider Phlebas" and "Red Mars" are also in my queue. I found some E.E. "Doc" Smith stuff on Librivox and will be checking that out as well.

Shards of Honor is pretty good. The sequel Barrayar is great, though.

My favorite hard science fiction writers to check out:

- Gregg Bear
- Stephen Baxter
- Vernor Vinge
- Neal Stephenson

More in the classic vein
- Issac Asimov (with a good deal of intrigue/mystery/humanity, big epic scope, and a bit of space opera)
- Ursula K. Le Guin (humanity)
- Robert Heinlein (humorous)

More in the slightly fantastical-imaginative / space opera / epic vein
- John Varley (the Titan series is fantastic)
- Dan Simmons (the Hyperion cantos is fantastic although a bit tediously introspective at times, the Illium/Olympos cycle is also fantastic, less introspective, and more epic with lots of classic greek mythology thrown in).

Thanks Thrasher!

Already had Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" on my to-read list - that looked really interesting. Will check the others out too.

BTW, I finished the Elder Scroll novels by Greg Keyes: "The Infernal City" and "Lord of Souls". They are a nice read, in particular the description of Umbriel, the floating city from a deadric realm. Mostly well-written and a few good characterizations. Better than most Forgotten Realms novels (not saying much), but also mostly forgettable.

A little behind the times, I is. Saw some depressing news, even if it is 3 years old. Apparently both David and Leigh Eddings died a few years back. Yes, his last series was dismal, but some of his older stuff was just wonderful. I'm definitely running out of authors.

Eddings- dead
Asprin - dead
Gemmell- dead
Jordan - dead
Pratchett - Alzheimers

Thanks all for the space opera suggestions!

Oh, I also like hard science fiction sometimes as well, so if anyone has suggestions for that subgenre too, fire away.

Sorry been away. Hard science fiction? Many of the ones mentioned, but I also suggest:
The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi
The Windup Girl - Paola Bacigalupi and his short stories

BTW, I finished the Elder Scroll novels by Greg Keyes: "The Infernal City" and "Lord of Souls". They are a nice read, in particular the description of Umbriel, the floating city from a deadric realm. Mostly well-written and a few good characterizations. Better than most Forgotten Realms novels (not saying much), but also mostly forgettable.

Interesting, i didnt know there were ES novels, im all over that.

Right now on book 6 of the warhammer 40k Horus Heresy series, "Descent of Angels". Excellent book, theyre all excellent so far

Back
Top Bottom