Jeff Vogel Games - Recommended ??

Lannister

Watchdog
Hello,

I am a RPG Veteran, I love playing all kinds of RPG`s e. g. Fallout, Ultima, BG, Gothic.....

Right now I am thinking about buying my first game from Jeff Vogel...

Could someone give me a review of these games.... Are they suited to me ???
Can one actually really make decisions like in Fallout ???

Thanks in advance,
L.

Welcome to our forum! :)

Dhruin published his review of Geneforge 4 a few days ago. You can find the link on the homepage.

If you are a CRPG'er who loves old style RPGs - Ultima, Wizardry, etc - you will love Jeff's games. Depending on the game that you choose there are some decisions to be made (more in the Geneforge games than the Avernum games).

Where Jeff's games excel is in story and atmosphere (and character development). What his games lack in graphics/sound they more than make up with great story, NPCs and atmosphere.

I've been playing Avernum 4 for over 80 hours now and I still haven't finished it. It's been a great game that has held my interest the whole time. It's challenging, well written and fun!

I recommend reading as much about his two big series - Avernum and Geneforge and see which one interests you most. Then download it... Jeff offers all of his games as free downloads that you can try before you buy - basically big demos. After playing one for a while you will know whether it's for you or not. But you should at least play it for a few hours before you decide.

Highly recommended developer and company!

There is no reason not to jump right in with the newest ones!

I played Avernums 1 and 2 (started the third one recently) and I recommend them to anyone in search for an engrossing dungeon crawl for brain users. Try some demos, they're very big! Although combat is frequent, there are many fine details in the games and plentiful moments in which you're glad you've remembered some things you've learned a long time ago in different parts of the world.

Recommended:

1.) Genforge series (1-4)
2.) Avernum series (1-4)
3.) Nethergate

the series Avernum (1-3) is a remake of the older series Exile (1-3)

Try the demo's first then buy them if you want to continue on, t hats the best advice.

They are great for thoose who arent demanding when it comes to graphics/sound. For many years I counted Exile III as one of the most engaging RPG's I have ever played (Avernum III is a remake of Exile III). I ran through Avernum 1 last year, but frankly, they are a bit too large for my taste. :\

I still prefer the Exile series over these new isometric view games, ala Geneforge, Avernum etc.

Exile 3 was particularly good.

Blades of Exile was nice as well and offers basically endless gameplay with user made content. Just my 10 cents.

Back
Top Bottom