RPGWatch - Couchpotato Appreciation Fund

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
At the advice of one of our members I would like to bring your attention to the following forum thread. It's a new donation thread thread for myself & Fluent.

Hello guys just something I would like to bring up with everyone. As most of you know I spend over 30-40 hours a week posting news, and doing interviews.

I started a new donation page today on Paypal to help support my work, and provide a way to tip me if you like what I do, and to show my work is appreciated.

Now I wont force anyone to donate, or stop posting news if no one will donate. I do this everyday because I love this site, and look forward to sharing information.
For members who donate we both thank you in advance for your kindness. We also look forward to bringing all of you new content for many years to come.:worship:

More information.

Awesome, Couch! Thanks for including me and I hope we each get a few donations to show that people care for our hard work! Yours especially, since you are the cog that keeps the RPGWatch site turning, so I truly appreciate the work you do here!

Thanks to those who have donated and showed support, and to those who are considering to do it soon. You guys rock! :)

Hey champ! Leave the thread going for a longer period of time, not until Friday. I just spend all my money from Paypal account. Soon I will have spare cash and I honestly believe you do deserve a huge tip - I remeber those days when you were out for a week or so last year or when you were looking for some help with the website - those were sad days for me with hardly any news. I check this site on daily basis as you post the news about the games that matter to me. So keep up the good work and leave the option to pledge open!

Thank you for your kind words xep624.:party:
Words of encouragement are enough as it shows people appreciate my time spent every week on this site. Don't worry though as I plan to be here for a long time.

As I said on the linked thread you don't find to many sites like ours. Despite all the bickering that goes on most of us are very passionate about the RPGs we play.

Last edited:
Wow, Dhruin never asked for money and did a tireless and exemplary job for so many years. I even used to be an editor here posting news at the MMORPG section. What is going on at this site, Myrthos?

Wow, Dhruin never asked for money and did a tireless and exemplary job for so many years. I even used to be an editor here posting news at the MMORPG section. What is going on at this site, Myrthos?

I guess I'll take the bait. :)

There's nothing wrong with asking for generous support from the fans of the work you do.

Couch is very important to RPGWatch, and sending him some money to show you care is a great thing. Maybe one day, Couch can retire from his normal job and be a full-time, full-paid editor for this site, or something even better, funded by the fans of his work.

It's my dream as well, and a noble dream to have. :)

Making money doing something you love, sharing your passion with others is a great thing.

I have a feeling you just want to turn this thread in a bad direction, so I will politely ask you to not do that. If you'd like to hate or do something negative, the RPGCodex is thatta-way >>>>

:)

That's all right Fluent as I expected a few replies like his.^^

Anyway for members who have a problem with this I apologize, but this site has become a part time job every week for three years now. Also I will never force anyone to donate.

I will continue to post new content even if no one donates.:salute:

Posting news to this site is incredibly time consuming. Incredibly. When Couch was out, I tried to take over. Between Myrthos, Aries100, me, Killias, and the other editors, we did our best to fill in the blanks. I personally found it to be incredibly stressful, and xep624's comment - however well-meaning - is proof of just how thankless it is. Nobody seems to notice the news till there's less of it, and to some, less means none at all.

For volunteer work, it feels an awful lot like a job, so Couch/Fluent, I think you're entirely right to welcome a little something for the hard work you do. :) :heart:

Well said fluent. Nothing wrong with asking for help.

Ideally, we would all share in the things that the world produces based on our needs, and produce what we enjoy producing, but money, power, and the sins of sloth and greed get in the way of that…

Last edited:
Is there any other option besides Paypal? I have had nothing but trouble the last couple times I have used them. My credit card company has frozen my card due to "suspicious activity". Once was when I was paying to register Minecraft for my kids, the other time was from a small Internet dealer that only accepted PayPal. That last one really was a pain - I had went to buy gas right afterwards and my credit card was refused as it was frozen, no cell signal to call the company to unfreeze it, and insufficient cash to pay for it. I always pick other options now, Amazon payments, Google Wallet, etc

You can use a credit card to become a Patron of mine. A monthly gift of $10 or more is greatly appreciated! http://www.patreon.com/fluent

Not sure if Couch can set anything up other than Paypal unless he starts a Patreon or something as well. :)

I understand Xian as I had a few problems with Paypal a few years ago myself. I'll look at the other services as I never used any of them. So I cant promise anything.:)

Couch, while everyone appreciates the effort you put into the site, it is, in the end, a personal choice you made to volunteer your time... If you feel that it has become a chore deserving of compensation, perhaps you should take a step back.

I'm not against asking for donations, but they shouldn't be a news item and they shouldn't go to a single person (or persons) as there are others that work behind the scenes to improve the site, and have for quite some time.

Sure, but does he put in 100% of the time? No. Even a generous 90% is not 100%.

Making a newsbit out of this basically says to everyone else involved in the management of RPGWatch, "I deserve this, not you."

Can we also perhaps also have banner ads linking to Couchpotato & Fluent Paypal accounts?

It's bullshit and plain repugnant.

Not following. What is the point of 100%? If he puts in 40 hours a week, and everyone else just puts in a hour or two, don't you think that should count for something?

No. Because everyone volunteers the time they they are able. If Myrthos wants to take the site's extra donations and divvy them up based on how many "hours" people put in, that's his business. Until then, volunteering does not equate to a job w/a timeclock; it's insulting for everyone else involved to make the site a platform for personal gain.

As soon as I get some spare cash, it's going to Couch. Why? He definitely deserves it, first and foremost, but Drithius, you also had a hand in this. Thanks for inspiring me to give, Drithius! :celebrate:

Couch, keep doing what you're doing! Don't let any negativity bring ya down. ^^

Back
Top Bottom