Eschalon discussion

It's a fairly common disease around here, Nut. This game begs for restarts given the variety of character builds that are possible.

Dasale, how old are you? This game is really not targeted at the "instant gratification" generation. This game hearkens back to the old days, so if you didn't grow up with the Gold Box games and Bards Tale, it might not be for you. This game doesn't have any "wiz bang" features. It is a solidly built engine that allows great character building via combat.
Too old for you, enough old that I don't like to give my age since some time. :)

Gold Box games? It's vague, what you mean? I played only a little during the beginning of the 80's and never got the oportunity to finish any games. But I played a little Wizadry and Ultima on an Apple II it's long before your Bard's Tale. I also played CRPG like Moria and Rogue that was game with characters used to draw maps, NPC and stuff. Is that enough old for you? :)

Ok I started to play more at the end of 80's, beginning of the 90's. Some games like Pool Of Radiance, Might&Magic 2, Dungeon Master, Citadel Adventure of the Crystal Keep, Pool Of Radiance 2&3, Eye of the Beholder, Pools of Darkness, Ultima Underworld, Ultima VII, Might&Magic 3&4, Wizardry VII, Exile, Fallout, Final Fantasy VII, Baldur's Gate to close this series. I certainly played some more, but forgot them. I haven't played all of them at their release but I played all those before release of Baldur's Gate or Fallout.

So I think I know what old CRPG are, memory can be very false but I doubt Eschalon is as good than most of those I quoted above. In fact there's a few I didn't felt that good and for few more I'm sure that if I play them now nostalgia won't be enough to make me enjoy them.

Yep, you meet the right age criteria. I find Eschalon to be better than many of the titles you listed. It's old school enough that I look forward to expansions and sequels. I'm hoping Basilisk will get enough registrations to continue the series. It's very hard in the days of broadband piracy.

Could anyone tell me if I can reduce the volume of combat sounds ("Aargh!" etc) while keeping the ambient noises and music volume up? The sounds my character makes when fighting really annoy me.

Could anyone tell me if I can reduce the volume of combat sounds ("Aargh!" etc) while keeping the ambient noises and music volume up? The sounds my character makes when fighting really annoy me.

I couldn't find anything - there are 3 volume controls: music, environment and footsteps. I guess that rebalancing music and environment would do it ... but take everything else with it!

I feared so - that's a shame. Thanks for the reply!

I fiddled further - you can turn all three volumes down and still hear your hero.

It certainly shouldn't work this way, then - hopefully they'll fix this in a patch.

Yep, you meet the right age criteria. I find Eschalon to be better than many of the titles you listed. It's old school enough that I look forward to expansions and sequels. I'm hoping Basilisk will get enough registrations to continue the series. It's very hard in the days of broadband piracy.
I suppose you played those old games not so long ago. For example Pool Of Radiance (the first) was really good when played at the end of the 80's but even played 5 or 6 years later it wasn't that good anymore. Also in the list I provided there are some I didn't really like, for example Might&Magic 3&4, Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry VII, Pool Of Radiance 3 and even Dungeon Master that I played too late.

I have seen that Eschalon is now on OSX and that would be cool for me. So I gave it a second try, a mage this time instead of a robber. The experience has been better. I still think that fights design is too poor, single character isn't a good choice at all. The writing is average but I took care read more slowly and it worked better this time.

But I also played the first real dungeon and this one was really cool with plenty little traps and tricks. Many hints, even if often they obvious you still have to find them. I also played more of the outside area, graphics are well done it's obvious but the average design quality was less good than the dungeon. The dungeon cough my curiosity enough and later magic fights could be better, this will probably enough to make me play it more. But after to have finish The Witcher, and also probably after Albion that runs so well under the DosBOX on OSX.

Back
Top Bottom