List of Indie cRPG

Konjad

Keeper of the Watch
I recently stumbled across this one, Abaddon: http://gpforge.com/abaddon when I perused the torque website. Never heard of it before, and it doesn't seem to be on the Database here. And since the forums seems to be awol, It's hard to judge how "alive" it is. Anybody know anything about this?

That's a lot of indie games in development.

It would actually be great if larger companies like Bioware or Bethesda had smaller development divisions dedicated to lower cost, but more niche projects, catering more to the real hardcore RPGers.

These teams could work on smaller scale (as far as production - come on, do we really need hours and hours of voice acting, FMV and cutting edge 3D engines?) titles that wouldn't cost the company much but would likely still make a healthy profit and keep the more hardcore gamer happy.

You know, those of us who still love turn based combat and tons of stats/skills more so than flashy spell effects :)

That's a lot of indie games in development.

It would actually be great if larger companies like Bioware or Bethesda had smaller development divisions dedicated to lower cost, but more niche projects, catering more to the real hardcore RPGers.

These teams could work on smaller scale (as far as production - come on, do we really need hours and hours of voice acting, FMV and cutting edge 3D engines?) titles that wouldn't cost the company much but would likely still make a healthy profit and keep the more hardcore gamer happy.

You know, those of us who still love turn based combat and tons of stats/skills more so than flashy spell effects :)

They could dig out the Infinity Engine, and adapt it to a custom game mechanics setup, rather than DnD 2e/3e that the engine was originally used for. They should still hold ownership of the assets, so they've just got to use that for future, hardcore, accessible to pretty much any computer games.

I have no idea what the business case would look like for that ... but personally I'd love to see it!

I have no idea what the business case would look like for that … but personally I'd love to see it!

Well, the programming costs would be minimal; adapting the engine to WinVista/7 and to the new mechanics. Done right, the game design and writing would be the same as for newer games of comparable style and length. So I doubt much of a case could be made, financially.

So the answer is to release the Infinity engine as open source, and let the community play with it! :p

Back
Top Bottom