Wolfenstein: The New Order - Gameplay trailer.

So… what did you guys think of the trailer? ;)

Didn't care at all for the style of characters and dialogue. Seemed like something out of GTA - completely void of the old-fashioned atmosphere I remember from RTCW.

Frankly, it looked like an over-the-top set-piece shooter more than anything.

Doubt it's for me, but I'll check it out just the same.

Didn't care at all for the style of characters and dialogue. Seemed like something out of GTA - completely void of the old-fashioned atmosphere I remember from RTCW.

Frankly, it looked like an over-the-top set-piece shooter more than anything.

Doubt it's for me, but I'll check it out just the same.

The atmosphere is more modern because, unlike the previous titles, this doesn't take place in the 1940s.

I liked the style of the trailer at least, especially the music, but it remains to be seen how good the actual game is. I'm a big fan of Wolfenstein though, so I'll definitely be getting it.

From the scenes I've glimpsed, I get the impression that they're going for fairly large levels by shooter standards.

The atmosphere is more modern because, unlike the previous titles, this doesn't take place in the 1940s.

Yup, the 1960s it seems.

I'm a big fan of the old-fashioned WW2 style of Wolfenstein, though.

From the scenes I've glimpsed, I get the impression that they're going for fairly large levels by shooter standards.

Hmm, I find that very hard to know at this point.

But it could be a reason to play it, I guess.

It's just an impression. Still, bigger levels doesn't mean it's going to be good. Wolfenstein 2009 was the most "open" game of the series, yet it wasn't very memorable.

Style-wise, RtCW is my favorite by far. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing that re-released with upgraded textures.

Calling this a gameplay trailer is a bit of a joke. It is basically a cinematic trailer with few snippets of gameplay. If you want to see gameplay go look at the session from last years QuakeCon where one of the developers played through a level.
Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed about this 60's thing. I think the industry somehow got the idea that there is no demand for WWII shooters anymore. They seem to forget that there hasn't been a single-player WWII shooter release since 2008s Call of Duty: World at War (Not counting Sniper Elite V2 and Red Orchestra 2 which strictly speaking are not single-player FPS).

[EDIT]: The previous Wolfenstein was actually released in 2009 so I guess that was the latest "real" single-player FPS released.

Last edited:
So… what did you guys think of the trailer? ;)
Bad until I saw suddenly popup Doom Beta at the end. Didn't knew Doom 4 was in the plans, last year Doom 3 was a great play for me, but with the light for all weapons which change a lot my perception of the game.

Actually looks pretty good to me. As long as it has at least some kind of story, large levels and possibly some stealth implemented.

Absolutely loved castle wolfenstien when I was younger, didn't care much for wolfenstien 3d but did like return to castle wolfenstien.

I'd probably pick in up in a steam sale unless something I learn about the game leading to release wows me.

Looks like an on-rails, tight spaces shooter, with low FOV and going for the 'cinematic experience'. Therefore there will probably be cinematic push button x QTE to win as well. After all this is not Raven or ID.

Having said that, there seem to be some twist with the protagonist maybe transforming or augmented with machinery later in the game (like in Quake 4).

Looks like an on-rails, tight spaces shooter, with low FOV and going for the 'cinematic experience'. Therefore there will probably be cinematic push button x QTE to win as well. After all this is not Raven or ID.

Having said that, there seem to be some twist with the protagonist maybe transforming or augmented with machinery later in the game (like in Quake 4).

Nope, not according to the video preview on eurogamer.

Large open areas, choose different paths through and how you want to play through it, stealth, secret passages and no mention of QTE's ( but they didn't say there weren't any either)

Sounds pretty good actually.

http://http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-video-wolfenstein-takes-the-tarantino-approach-to-nazis

Large open areas, choose different paths through and how you want to play through it, stealth, secret passages and no mention of QTE's ( but they didn't say there weren't any either)

http://http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-video-wolfenstein-takes-the-tarantino-approach-to-nazis

Thanks for the information - the gameplay shown does show a throwback to RTCW. Will have to wait and see how open the levels are and different paths available.

Still worried about the 'cinematic' keyword that is thrown in the feature list.

Looking at the video there, it looked like there will be plenty of cuttoff points, where you can't go back. So the big open arenas that they talk about still seem to just be larger rooms or such, with one point of entry, and one point of exit. Look for an example at when he jumps down the trench early on. That's the kind of things that they use to make sure that you won't do something stupid, like returning to a previous area. Also, the auto-aim *shudders* Just look at the gunplay, in that video, those guns aim themselves like the smart guns from Aliens.

The game looks mildly entertaining, like a stupid action movie, and if I were to play it I don't think I would be bored, but it does not look like anything special either.

Looking at the video there, it looked like there will be plenty of cuttoff points, where you can't go back. So the big open arenas that they talk about still seem to just be larger rooms or such, with one point of entry, and one point of exit. Look for an example at when he jumps down the trench early on. That's the kind of things that they use to make sure that you won't do something stupid, like returning to a previous area. Also, the auto-aim *shudders* Just look at the gunplay, in that video, those guns aim themselves like the smart guns from Aliens.

The game looks mildly entertaining, like a stupid action movie, and if I were to play it I don't think I would be bored, but it does not look like anything special either.

Yeah, that would be the definition of large open areas to me. Most FPS have 1 starting point and one exit. It's not open world and doesn't claim to be.

As far as auto aim I assume its being shown on console or at least played with a controller and they say as much in an ign video where they are playing the same area. I also assume you will have the ability to disable it on PC. No proof that you can just assumptions on my part, time will tell.

It doesn't claim to be anything special and I definitely never claimed as much. It says its a mix of old school shooter and new features. It looks to provide that. As I said though time will tell. I'm not expecting anything revolutionary but I like the setting and it looks like it would be a fun shooter.

Yeah, that would be the definition of large open areas to me. Most FPS have 1 starting point and one exit. It's not open world and doesn't claim to be.

As far as auto aim I assume its being shown on console or at least played with a controller and they say as much in an ign video where they are playing the same area. I also assume you will have the ability to disable it on PC. No proof that you can just assumptions on my part, time will tell.

It doesn't claim to be anything special and I definitely never claimed as much. It says its a mix of old school shooter and new features. It looks to provide that. As I said though time will tell. I'm not expecting anything revolutionary but I like the setting and it looks like it would be a fun shooter.

But is this not how pretty much all modern shooters are set up these days? Corridors between larger rooms/arenas where you have the larger/more interesting fights. It's this kind of level design that most people who long for the shooters of yesteryear seem to dislike. And yes, I am well aware of the fact that most older shooters did have an intended path through the levels, but the fact that you could go back and look for things that you missed did make them feel a lot less linear. Why are these cutoff points even needed anyway? Why is it so bad if a player returns to a previously visited part of the level?

But is this not how pretty much all modern shooters are set up these days? Corridors between larger rooms/arenas where you have the larger/more interesting fights. It's this kind of level design that most people who long for the shooters of yesteryear seem to dislike. And yes, I am well aware of the fact that most older shooters did have an intended path through the levels, but the fact that you could go back and look for things that you missed did make them feel a lot less linear. Why are these cutoff points even needed anyway? Why is it so bad if a player returns to a previously visited part of the level?

I don't think that would be a bad thing. Honestly though I didn't know that going back to previous levels was something a lot of FPS fans wanted. I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the FPS fan base though.:)

For me personally though I don't see the need for the ability to back track. Most FPS don't have good enough exploration aspects that would make me want to go back and further explore previous levels. ( wish they did though)

As far as going back for missed weapon this game seems like it will be a little over the top weapon wise ( dual wielding machine guns) so I doubt you'll ever be at a loss for weapons.

If they added some reason to go back I guess I wouldn't mind but to just go back to the same empty level or level with the same respawned enemies is not something that would interest me.

Like I said, I think this will be a fun shooter with some stealth opportunities, open areas, secret paths and decent story if they can pull off the altered history thing which I think could be pretty interesting.

I fear though that instead of exploring what it could actually have been like had the nazi's won the war they will just use it to set up the next over the top action scene. So that may negate the story but the gameplay aspects still seem solid.

I really enjoyed RTCW. The single player game was quite fun to play through. I think it captured perfectly the spirit of orginal wolfenstein. :)

Multiplayer game was quite enjoyable as well. It was a perfect mix of arcade and realism. And when they released the enemy territory multiplayer expansion, I was truly hooked! I recall playing RTCW-ET quite regularely over a year or so.

So i'm going to check out this new wolfenstein game at some point.

To be honest it has been a very long while since I played a FPS with multiple paths and exploration - last one was Serious Sam BFE, and it was not telling a story but focuses on good shooting.

I think that the expectation these days is for a shooter to tell a story and hence the linear and restricted path.

My only surprise is that there is no multiplayer or co-op element with the game. So I would assume that DLC would be the option to maintain longivity for this game.

Serious Sam BFE (and shadow warrior) managed longivity with (free) local/online co-op, multiplayer and survival modes.

I don't think that would be a bad thing. Honestly though I didn't know that going back to previous levels was something a lot of FPS fans wanted. I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the FPS fan base though.:)

For me personally though I don't see the need for the ability to back track. Most FPS don't have good enough exploration aspects that would make me want to go back and further explore previous levels. ( wish they did though)

It's a bit hard to explain exactly why, but even if I don't have to go back, I prefer it if the game does not just bar my way back for arbitrary reasons. It just removes a large portion of the immersions for me. A good shooter has a special form of immersion, and very few modern ones have been able to deliver on that.

Also, it's mostly ammo, not the weapons themselves that I'm interested in going back for. That and health pickups (I'm by the way not a fan of regenerating health either. It removes the consequences of sloppy play). Basically, I'm not a big fan of modern shooters.

Just be aware it's single player only. No multiplayer component.

I don't mind that, as long as the SP is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom