Golden Rainbows up--colourless bigots down

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq
Its a great shame. Once again common sense and the will of the voters is thrown out by a handful of judges with an agenda.

If the voters will it, they can ammend the constitution to ban gay marriage. In the meantime, this decision makes perfect sense.

Go California! If they ever want to secede from the Union, I'm sure they're welcome to join the EU. :)

Lucky Day said:
common sense

There is no common sense. My sense is different from your sense is different from curiously undead's sense is different from everybody else's sense.

the will of the voters

Democracy is not and must never become a tyranny of the majority, an electoral absolutism. Freedom should find its limitations only where the freedom of others is threatened. If a majority of voters decide that red is the prettiest color, should this be made law? No, because their freedom of choice is not impinged upon by my preference of blue. Likewise, I fail to see how your freedom to marry the woman of your affection is impinged upon by the right of men to marry men and women to marry women. Surely you do not love your wife any less just because the couple that just moved in next door are named Leslie and Melissa instead of Zak and Annie?

My personal opinion is that the institution of matrimony would be devalued if two consenting, mature people who loved each other and wished to take the same vows of commitment that everyone else in society holds dear were refused that right.

with an agenda

Cui bono?

Freedom should find its limitations only where the freedom of others is threatened.

Excellent way of putting it and so true. Another step toward accepting that we're all human beings on this planet.

(Except for the aliens, of course...)

Last edited:
Atrachasis is well read on the western values.

My personal opinion is that the institution of matrimony would be devalued if two consenting, mature people who loved each other and wished to take the same vows of commitment that everyone else in society holds dear were refused that right.
Very well put, it should be a basic human right.

from a different article this fact is interesting, if not unexpected and surely signals that a passage of a ban by vote is highly unlikely.

Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has twice vetoed legislation that would have granted marriage to same-sex couples, said in a statement he respected the court's decision and "will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this state Supreme Court ruling."

from this article
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24671020

Back
Top Bottom