Gothic 3 Sword Fighting question

lostnumber

Watchdog
Does increasing one's mastery level actually do anything. Does it unlock any new moves or abilities? So far I have acheived the highest sword fighting level possible and I still do the same exact swings I did when I started the game. I would expect an increase in speed or power at least but I get nothing. Really all it looks like at the moment is that it is something to dump your skill points in so you can get the option dump your skill points into something else later. God I hope I am wrong and that this is just a bug or I am missing something. In the first 2 Gothics increasing your mastery level improved your stances and increased your speed. Now I get nothing? Please let me know, I really want to start enjoying Gothic 3 now. Thanks

You get knockdown and a much greater chance to get through peoples' parry. These skills only cost 5LP each, so they don't do a whole lot, in most cases it's important just to unlock the best weapons(who require sword mastery 3, or large weapons 3). On rank 3 of any weapon mastery is the added knockdown, useful in bigger fights to keep people around you stunlocked.

From my own experiences:
1. Basic attack, no bonuses
2. Greater damage and chance to go through block/parry
3. Knockdown

I think knock down is frustrating since they don't stand up so i can kill them. And when they are knocked down one have to attack another to do some mayhem. As long as you are fighting somebody the rest of the enemy seems to look at the fight, but when one is down everybody can join in. I think it ruins more then helps.

But right now i am frustrated so.... perhaps, i will learn to use it to my advantage.

Aye, use longer weapons and then change the direction you swing it for every swing, that way you can keep almost everyone knocked down at all times, even in big packs.

This only works with a long 2h weapon, such as spears and other polearms. It does not work with smaller weapons - I agree, knockdown with 1h weapons is useless, it should've been some other perk.

Well thanks, even if the info wasn't what I wanted to hear. I must admit, I am a little disappointed with gothic 3. They have taken away some of the functionality, control, and skill sets that I really liked. Really, the way I see it a master swordsman shouldn't swing just as slow as a newb. Oh well, hopefully there is more content further down the road that will make up for this. At least this forum is never a let down. Thanks guys.

On the other hand, magic is now far more useful, and due to a much greater mana pool and the regenerate mana ability, you can cast spells far more frequent.

Also, if you want to fight faster - go with dual-wield, you can fight quite fast with it if you are skilled, altho it requires a lot more from the player since it's quite difficult. Fun when you master it though. :)

There is the same problem with archery. Overall, the system is better because you get manual aiming and natural arrow arcs. But the actual effect of the archery perks is nil other than what I perceive as increased damage. I don't notice any new technique, you don't hold the bow any better, you don't shoot faster. And going back to the damage increase - I'm not so sure that is due to my archery level, or simply my high hunting skill.

They really spread themselves too thin in this game. There are many things to like, but just as many that seem unfinished. This game could be so beautiful if wanted it be...

EDIT: Just thought of another positive thing about G3's melee combat. When you attack if your weapon arc hits multiple enemies, it will damage them all. That is very cool. One time I was surrounded by scavengers and killed three at a time with one finish blow.

Last edited:
The multihit is excellent, you should try with a character using 2h combat, and then get the Krach Tarach - orcish polearm with 200 damage. Due to the multihit you can kill entire packs just swinging it back and forth. :)

Also, I've never actually been a hunter, but to me it seemed reload times went down a lot when I used a crossbow and upgraded from rank 1 to rank 2. I think I should try the path of hunting once to see the effects of a bow. Maybe higher ranks has increased knockback/knockdown or something similar, like melee weapons?

Since it is related to the original topic I think posting this here is a good choice. First off, what does one need to do in order to gain or use the jump attacks and special attacks referred to in the game manual? Second, where in gods name are all of the good weapons? I searched cave after cave, and the best I could find was Wenzel's sword. Since my conscience got the better of me I gave it back to him, so now I am left with a bastard sword. It's good at dishing out a beating but I am starting to get a little board with it. I found a flaming sword for sale but passed it up in favor of a honed bastard sword. This guy is longer and now more powerful. I'm not looking for the be all end all sword of ultimate l33t pwn4g3 that will ruin the story for me, just something that will help me express my resent to the WBODs a little better.

I've never been able to perform a jump attack.

Get the flaming sword, you can buy it for 1000 gold at almost any vendor, it appears at random so just search around. It has 100dmg, and good range, probably the best 1h weapon I've found so far.

Still, there should be better weapons, especially in nordmar. I think you make some very good weapons as a master blacksmith if you free the mine in the Hammerclan, but that's a bit too late to finally get something better than weapons you can get in the first village - by the time you are able to clear the orc infested mine, you are also capable of completing the game.

Bad news lostnumber: You should have kept Wenzel's sword. Sharpened it does 105 dmg and it is blessed (more damage to "evil" creatures I think). It is the best 1H weapon I have found in the game so far and I am level 52 and have been to lots of places.

Not enough time was spent thinking about loot placement and rewards in this game. There is also not enough variety in things you find in chests. Wow..another Laddle? LOL? More endurance potions...great!!! ... Gee headknock arrows!!!!

DAMN IT!! Level 52 and the best weapon is something I found at level 10? I sure hope all the good weapons are really well hidden or related to quests. I found a cave with a few bad ass looking dragons, as I was fighting them the music elscalated and I though to myself man these soon to be dead dragons gotta be guarding something sweet!! Two dead dragons later I find myself rewarded with some gold, a lame crossbow and a perm potion. Every other freaking cave I find has a bunch of lizards, snakes, baddies and mushrooms. Mushrooms are not cool, turbo charged swords are. What about the jump and special attacks, any luck with those my friend?

What about the jump and special attacks, any luck with those my friend?

Nope. Haven't found anyone teaching them. But then again, I am only
about 25% through the main quest. I have finished almost all the
cities and side quests though. Maylander is further along though so if he
says he hasn't found them, then maybe its another feature they didn't
get in and we have to wait for a patch.

P.S. - That dragon cave was cool though, wasn't it?

Yep I really did get worked up when I first saw the dragons, god I feel like such a nerd.... The loot they were guarding, or should I say the lack thereof, was quite a let down.

I invoke Gorath, master of business, what happened here? Did Jowood pressure PB into releasing G3 quickly to help them meet quarterly expectations, or is that far too simple of an analysis? I really don't remember the other 2 Gothics being as buggy.

What about the master sword? I saw the schematics for it. I don't remember where exactly..Some merchant had them in his stock in those desert towns :).

Awright! Finally something worth while. I just remember reading somewhere that there were going to be over 100 weapons in the game. Unless they were talking about 100 rusty swords I haven't even found 20% of them yet. So far all I get in caves are rusty swords, sticks, those lame head-knock arrows. I remember the original gothic series had a ton of different weapons. About 50-100 each 1h, 2h, bows, and xbows.

Yeah I belive that its worth checking :) The schemetics were quite expensive something like over 20k gold..was it nearly 30k? Although i can't say for sure how good sword it is as i haven't tested it (and i only know basics about forging). I just saw the schematics in a stock. :)

If you re-check the Read Me file that ships with the game, you'll see that the Jump Attack is NOT in the game!!

I've completed the game three times now, level 56, 59 and 63. I ended those games with:
1. Flaming sword + Kings Shield
2. K. Tarach, the long orcish 2h polearm with 210 damage sharpened
3. Flaming sword + Kings Shield

I do know that better weapons exist though - greatswords, masterswords etc, are all in the game, and they all do better damage than Wenzels sword or the flaming sword, but they are redicilously hard to get - most good weapons need to be forged in fact. I've only found two greatswords, Zuben dropped them, but they were worn so only did half damage(60).

Stats on better 1h weapons than Wenzels or Flaming sword:
Greatsword - 120 damage, requires 220 strength or so
Mastersword - 105 damage(I think), requires 210 strength, gives the perk "master two sword combat". This is really nice for dual-wielders, as the only master teacher of that perk is fairly hard to get to.

You can also get weapons like Innos Rage, Power of the Ancestors and such, but again - it takes far more time and effort to get them than they're worth, as by the time you can actually clear out the Hammerclan mine(to get Ingvar to teach you master blacksmithing), you can also complete the game. In fact, that mine is the heaviest thing in the game as far as I know, much worse than what is required to actually complete it.

What a let down... I played that game again last night and inserted all of the weapons into my inventory. The selection was fairly modest by a historical comparison, I wasn't impressed. I used to really enjoy running off to a random cave in the first 2 games to fight something difficult and then be rewarded with a new weapon that justified the fight. I used to really enjoy watching my character's combat style evolve and really appreciated the increase in speed and improvement of form. Now all of those perks to exploration and fighting have been removed. I've been playing the game for days running around looking for a cave, quest, or random treasure that holds something worthwhile... The only good equipment I find is purchased from vendors. My level 35 master baddass still swings like a level 1 I just jumped off the boat after not eating for a month wuss. I used the master sword to give me the master of two sword combat perk, the menu states that I get additional moves with which I can kick additional ass... I don't see anything! Christ what a let down, I played the other gothics over and over for years. I don't even know if I will finish this one. I know that it is an unrealistic expectation but is there any chance that a patch will include some of the content I miss?? Will PB give me my old gothic back? What a ramble, I know that this really doesn’t matter to anyone it just feels better to get it out there. Long live PB, let’s get it right next time.

Back
Top Bottom