City of Heroes - Respec(t) Your Character for $$$

Asbjoern

N'wah
NCsoft has announced the inclusion of a microtransaction business model for respecification of your in-game characters' stats. It will cost you the sum of $9.99 per transaction:
City of Heroes has expanded their suite of available purchasable services to include Character Respecs (short for Respecifications). Over the course of leveling up, there are many powers that a character can choose from. A Character Respec allows the character to re-select their powers from their chosen primary and secondary powers, along with any other pools of powers they have access to. To be clear, this optional purchasable Respec does not allow the primary or secondary powerset to be reselected; it functions like existing respecs currently available in game.
Optional Character Respecs are available via the in-game store found at the character select screen for the per transaction price of $9.99 USD.
There are already multiple in-game methods that players can obtain a Respec. Now, if the convenience of purchasing a Respec is desired, it is available. Having a purchasable option has been an often heard desire from the game's customers.

Once players purchase a Respec, they must then visit a Respec Contact in-game to use it, in the same manner as the in-game obtainable respecs are done. The Respec Contacts include: Jack Wolf in Galaxy City and Arbiter Lupin in Nerva.
More information.

NCsoft said:
Having a purchasable option has been an often heard desire from the game's customers.

You don't say so? I learn something new everyday.

Sorry about the headline by the way. I couldn't help myself.

I dunno, sounds a tad expensive, especially compared to say Guild Wars, which basically lets you "respec" whenever you want.

I never understood the whole respec(t) business in the first place.

Once you make a choice, then it is fixed. So why not create a different character, then ? With different skills ?

What I'd like to see that one path doesn't exclude others - but I thought this was common among RPGs, isn't it ?

Because it takes months, even years, to level and gear up a character completely. Also, they constantly re-balance talents and skills in MMOs, as the game is evolving, meaning you won't know at start how a class will play after a year or two.

All in all, I like the practice of AoC and WoW, where you pay a certain amount of in-game money to respec. This amount increases every time you respec, up to a certain point where it becomes rather expensive. Charging actual money for this feature sounds like a ripoff.

Okay, I was argueing from an Single-player perspective. So, I wouldn't play years with 1 character, I think. Non-online, of course.

I should point out that there are several ways to get respecifications in City of Heroes/Villains.

1. Every three or four months there is a big issue (patch) release. A free respec token has followed within a few days of each one for the past several years.

2. You can run a respec trial. There are three of these for various level ranges.

3. You can get a respec recipe and, with some salvage, "build" a respec. Or you could buy the recipe in game in the auction house.

Buying them for $10 is probably not something typical players will do.

Back
Top Bottom