Project Eternity - Passes $3.5M including Paypal

What about Spiderweb and Basilisk?
Also, CDProjekt?

Yes, I forgot about the first two, embarrassing as I'm just playing Escape from the Pit now. But CDProject? No. Reflex based combat system, fixed protagonist, a story that assumes you played the previous game (or read some Polish book) and QTE's mean it's off the list for me.

2nd big cities are really for the original 1 city cut in half.This whole perks stuff means nothing because we never got a design for any city.

Conceptually, I love the idea of multiplayer. Unfortunately as a 37 yo with a 60+ hr/wk job, a wife, a 1yo daughter and a 3yo dog, I find that at most I only get 1-2 hours at a time to play games. Even when I was single, I found it hard to have more than a few hours. I longingly look at the Team Corwin thread and think how much fun it would be, but just don't have the time.

As long as mp wasn't the focus, I would not mind it in PE, but I certainly rather they spend the resources elsewhere.

But CDProject? No. Reflex based combat system, fixed protagonist, a story that assumes you played the previous game (or read some Polish book) and QTE's mean it's off the list for me.

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion, even if it is wrong.

What about Spiderweb and Basilisk?
Also, CDProjekt?

I applaud Spiderweb and Basilisk for their work. I've bought a couple of Spiderwebs games on humble bundles and such. But they just don't compare to the quality that big studio can put out. I played about 10 hours of Avadon. It was fun, but I lost interest. I'll probably go back again though.

2nd big cities are really for the original 1 city cut in half.This whole perks stuff means nothing because we never got a design for any city.

So pessimistic! They may move some content from city 1 to 2, but I'm sure the total city space will be larger than if it had been just one. They've already shown their willingness to increase the mega dungeon, why do you think they are just mailing it in with the second city?

Only if you presume they're lying when they said they initially planned for one Athkatla type city to begin with and that a second city means a second city of that size. What you are suggesting requires one to presume they were lying and that the first city was going to be a single massive one twice that size or that they don't actually intend to make two cities of that size despite what they say.

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion, even if it is wrong.

Ha!

@blatantninja
Well, I appreciate both the big studios and the small ones. Indies bring me a sense of nostalgia new games would never be able to. Also, outside RPG territory, there's much indies bring to the table. For example, I'm playing a very interesting game called Pixel Junk Eden. As a musician I was enthralled by the role music plays in this game. It's a level of creativity and art I don't see in the big ones.
Good stuff really =)

They are over $3.7 million (including paypal) right now.

And excluding paypal?

Um... I see MP sneaked into this thread. Honestly I couldn't care less for it, it was not in the first plan, it was not in any of stretch goals and still, I pledged. All I see is a classic SP RPG, that's exactly what I want.

I am still worried about people's expectations. Remember this funding is an order of magnitude or more less than what they typically get from publishers as an advance on "AAA" titles. So I am not expecting anything as grand as Baldur's Gate. But maybe I fell off the wrong side of the bed today. The realism side. ;)

$4m Stretch Goal - Enhance the Whole Game

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

I am still worried about people's expectations. Remember this funding is an order of magnitude or more less than what they typically get from publishers as an advance on "AAA" titles. So I am not expecting anything as grand as Baldur's Gate. But maybe I fell off the wrong side of the bed today. The realism side. ;)

I can see where you are coming from, and the expectations seem to be very, very high, but the people making this game seem so genuine and enthusiastic about getting to make it I think they will pull through.

It seems like it's a dream come through for them as well as most of us =)

$3,667,234 + $125,000 = a lot of $$

I'm personally expecting this:
  • 11 classes
  • 6 races
  • 8 companions
  • A huge mega dungeon of at least 10 levels (and possibly 11 or 12 by the time this is done!)
  • Player house
  • A stronghold
  • Two big cities
  • And much more.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Realizing the game is crowd-funded, it makes sense; but I hope Obsidian doesn't bow too much to the "design by committee" approach some of its users would crave and which could lead to a hodge-podge of a disaster, IMO.
So far they've been more than willing to say: "No," which is good.

I can't believe we're going to get a top-down, IE-style game with a stronghold, Watcher's Keep-style mega-dungeon, and two large cities that rival Athkatla and Baldur's Gate. That's just crazy!

Its great that they are willing to listen, but I trust obsidian's vision and I want them to stay true to it. So far they haven't been too shy rejecting some of the more preposterous ideas :)

Btw I can't belive it either! I hope i'm not only dreaming about all this. Is this really real? :)

Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.
Hahaha, if my wallet wasn't so empty I'd raise the pledge!

No multiplayer, though. :/

What a waste.

Words cannot express how much I DISLIKE this post. Multiplayer is like a plague infecting everything lately. Thank God we're getting a quality single player game without awful multiplayer tacked on with wasted dev time spent trying to get the kiddies interested.

I play RPGs to ESCAPE from the world for a little while. Lately every other great fantasy game has been infected with multiplayer and Im sick of it.

Has the term 'vaporware' occurred to any of you folks?

Oh, it's you.

The guy who pretends that every company on Kickstarter is a scam artist no matter how excellent their pedigree and back catalog is.

I was wondering when one of you would show up.

Going for a 2d world has it's advantages you know ;)

If Obsidian has ever been paid more than $35m- an order of magnitude more than $3.5m- to make a game I will eat my keyboard. While a lot of AAA games would have that sort of budget it would include a lot of stuff that Obsidian would not do/ get paid for like PR and fabrication and enhancing the boardmembers' ferrari collection. Personally I'd doubt they've ever been paid more than $20m, except potentially for the cancelled MS game, but that was cancelled.

They should get around one developer year per $100k, so 20ish people on it full time over an 18 month schedule to give some idea of the scope to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom