Fallout: New Vegas - Preview Flood #2

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's another group of Fallout: New Vegas previews.
From AtomicGamer:
Of course, it's not all sprawling deserts and blowing tumbleweeds, as the title also does a fantastic job of capturing the look and feel of its setting with plenty of eye-catching touches. Small towns are dripping with Old West-meets-nuclear winter touches, government installations have an affective Area 51 flavor, and Route 66-like landmarks, such as a giant dinosaur statue, keep things interesting. Additionally, a look-and-touch approach is being taken with these presentation-pushing structures littering the dilapidated landscape. That giant dino, for example, doubles as a sniper's nest, allowing squatters to sit in its mouth, take cover behind its choppers, and pick off wasteland wanderers with ease. There's also a town that hosts a rickety old wooden roller coaster as its centerpiece. And again, this is an item that can be traversed or used to complement your strategic combat options. Also, I didn't get to see these areas during my demo, but the developers are promising plenty of surprises on the Vegas strip and at Hoover Dam.
Games On Net:
So the time between selecting “start game” and arriving at that trademark “the world is my oyster” moment is much less trying, but better than that, it’s a much more attractive sort of mollusc. I was blown away by the ruined desert landscape of Capital Wasteland – for the first ten minutes, after which I got a hankering for something different to look at. Having escaped the devastation of a ground-zero hit, New Vegas delivers a much more varied and interesting environment.

The few interiors I saw, inside a mountain communications base and a military facility, deviated markedly from the endless corridor feel of subways and blasted urban ruins. Outside, the horizon is dotted with intact landmarks, thriving vegetation, and dramatic rock formations. The two towns we visited, both open to the wider environment rather than locked into their own cells, were like real world small towns in close proximity – sharing certain design similarities, but each with a distinct look of their own.
Giant Bomb:
The designers are going to greater lengths to give the companions personalities and back stories. The one I got to see was Raul, a feisty ghoul being held captive by a cross-dressing super mutant named Tabitha, who was herself protected by the nightkin, a stealthy breed of super mutant that can turn itself nearly invisible. Whether or not you enlist Raul's help--and he did seem quite capable with a firearm--in typical Fallout fashion, it was possible to more creatively solve the nightkin problem by using a radio broadcast to pit the super mutants against each other rather than blasting your way blindly through every last one of them.
Thanks Blue's, VG247 and NMA for some of these.
More information.

Uhn this is a expansion right? thats mean this game is more short and less bigger than fallout 3? if that then this expansion is going to be really short?
________
Buy easy vape vaporizer

Last edited:
Nope, it's not an expansion, it's a full-fledged game running on the same engine and using Fallout 3's assets and gameplay as basis to build upon.
It's similar to what Vice City was to Grand Theft Auto 3.
And the developers (Obsidian Entertainment) and publisher (Bethesda Softworks) have already promised a level of content (which means size of the map, locations, side quest etc.) similar to that of Fallout 3, though, of course, untill they've finished the game and I've tried it I can't confirm it :p

Heck I would be ok with a smaller game then Fallout 3 if they made it less combat oriented with areas more interesting to visit. I liked F3 but when you explored it was just combat after combat after combat.

According to one of the previews, Avellone said they're trying to cater more to the stealth types, though I would expect some combat situations may be unevitable.
Considering the companions seem more developed, it should be much less of a pain for those that want to do a build that doesn't focus on combat (like me :D).

Back
Top Bottom