New Dungeons and Dragons CRPG?

poker56

Traveler
Am I right that the newest d&d rpg is nwn2? any others? anything on the horizon?

I don't think anything is announced, but I bet someone will be working on a 4e game soon enough.

what is the list of all d&d games? I have played BG2/3 ID2 nwn1/2...loved them all...

As soon as I see a turn-based tactical CRPG based on 4E, they have my pre-order.

So, we can assume Bioware isn't about to make one!! :D

Wasn't there recently some more rumours on a BG3 as far as new DnD games go? And I bet Obsidian are probably cooking up something up in the veins of NWN3 (if they aren't doing the rumoured BG3) and possibly another NWN2 expansion.

Last edited:
As far as older games, I thought Menzoberranzan and Ravenloft: Stone Prophet were pretty good. Dreamforge also made non-D&D games Thunderscape and Anvil of Dawn that are older, but well done, IMO. Oh, they also made Dungeon Hack. Pretty much anything Dreamforge did was outstanding, in my opinon.

Last edited:
bleh, I hate 4E, although I guess it might work better for cRPGs as it's basically the WoWization of D&D

4th edition rules are basically World of Warcraft put to a pen and paper game. A true Pen and Paper gamer would call it utter heresy.
The only people I can see who who like this are MMO players who want the same experinece on the tabletop for simplification of game mechanics, which in effect simplifies gameplay to the point of tedium.

Yes, I already feared the effect that wow and similar games might influence the P&P base.

I have to say that if 4E has significantly less feats, spells, etc., I will be VERY happy. My biggest complaint with NWN2 was that there was just TOO much to choose from. I was never sure if I was making the right decisions, or if they would even influence the outcome of the game significantly.

I have to say that if 4E has significantly less feats, spells, etc., I will be VERY happy. My biggest complaint with NWN2 was that there was just TOO much to choose from. I was never sure if I was making the right decisions, or if they would even influence the outcome of the game significantly.

One of the major problems with 4th edition's magic system, is that you get very few, specific spells granted to you at each "level". You don't even have any real choice about what spells to choose! It takes away all the variety, utility, and freedom that pen and paper players have enjoyed sonce the beginning of RPGs. It plays more like an artificial digital ruleset then a logical fantasy reality based game system/simulation.

It really feels like you're playing a caveman dull tabletop subset of a videogame translated to pen and paper. It becomes dull after about 10 hours or so...

One of the major problems with 4th edition's magic system, is that you get very few, specific spells granted to you at each "level". You don't even have any real choice about what spells to choose! It takes away all the variety, utility, and freedom that pen and paper players have enjoyed sonce the beginning of RPGs. It plays more like an artificial digital ruleset then a logical fantasy reality based game system/simulation.

It really feels like you're playing a caveman dull tabletop subset of a videogame translated to pen and paper. It becomes dull after about 10 hours or so...

well some variety certainly is nice, but the way I look at it is this ISN'T pen and paper RPG. It's computer RPG. 2E had a much more limited set (at least in it's cRPG implementation) compared to 3E and that didn't keep games like BG and IWD from being boring. How does it compare to the variety allowed in 2E?

Back
Top Bottom