Thief releasing next February

Grangokhan

Watchdog
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-16-thief-sneaks-into-stores-in-february

Thoughts?

Personally I'm disappointed with what I've seen so far. While I think it'll turn out to be an enjoyable game, the stealth seems too easy in the video we saw. Garrett can dash through light to get to darkness and that focus system will make everything easier (although you can turn it off).

It's not necessarily bad that they're making it faster-pace but it seems a different game from what the originals set out to be not to mention Garrett's redesign is horrible and his new voice actor sounds bored out of his mind.

One thing I will commend Eidos Montreal for though is getting the atmosphere right. The art style is great too. However the gameplay video suggests we can expect easy stealth like what we had in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I loved all the previous Thief games. I just hope this can capture their essence somehow but I doubt we'll see anything as remotely interesting or unique as The Cathedral or Shalebridge Cradle levels again.

Prepare to be massively disappointed, then anything positive is a bonus.

I loved the first three games (OK, the third was a step down in quality for lots of reasons, but it was still good). I hope they keep the idea of changing objectives on higher difficulties, Thief was one of the few games I played on hard because I wanted to complete the additional goals. Atmosphere and graphics look good but the story sounds a bit meh and I hope it doesn't turn Garrett into a Robin Hood type. I want some interesting factions (like the Hammerites, Pagans, Keepers, even the Mechanists) not some dull rich vs poor social commentary.

Also a bit of horror wouldn't go amiss like the levels you mentioned. The horror blended well with the general feeling of tension in the Thief games, that feeling of being vulnerable to attack (which will also disappear if the game is too easy).

I can't say I have much interest in this. I think the older titles are great, but I don't like the fact that this is a reboot instead of a sequel/prequel.

There was something special about the atmosphere in Thief 1&2 that I haven't seen yet in any of the preview videos for the new game. I assume that no magic means that there will only be human enemies in the game. That means less variety. I also assume that, like most modern AAA titles, the levels probably won't be as open and non-linear as the older Thief games.

My hopes have gone up for the game. They've removed QTE's from the game. They've also re-introduced the supernatural and horror elements again if we go by their latest trailer. Also asides from different difficulties the player is able to customize their game so in example, you can make it where the mission fails if you're spotted (and this goes for any difficulty. There are also a variety of different modes (although true achievements calls them mods for some reason).

Classic Thief Mods
* Chapter Save Only: manual saves and checkpoint auto-saves are disabled.
* No Focus: the use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
* Stealth Takedowns Only: you cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
* No Reticle: no aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.

Legendary Thief Mods
* Specialty Arrows Only: only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
* No Resources: food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
* It Hurts Not: if you take any damage, the mission is failed.
* Expensive Tools: the cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
* Slowed Movement: running and walking speeds are reduced.

Ultimate Thief Mods
* Iron Man: if you die or fail a mission, you lose your game and must restart from the beginning.
* No Upgrades: non-critical upgrades are disabled.
* No Kills or Knockouts: if a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.
* No Alerts: if a human or animal detects you, the mission is failed.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n15588/thief-customization-details-outlined.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7vOBWizuTI

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/thief-drops-controversial-qtes/1100-6416206/

The only problem then (for me) is that the voice acting for Garrett is HORRENDOUS. The guy did a good job for Ezio but for some reason he sounds very generic in Thief. Other than that it seems they finally paid attention to what makes Thief, Thief even if it is a reboot that disregards the lore and history of the past games. If it feels like Thief though, that's all that matters most to me. Time will tell.

I have enjoyed the previous Thief games enough to keep an eye on this one ... but probably not pay full price unless I hear something intriguing.

Those requirements seem way off when it comes to the pc verson.
An i7 / r9+ for something a frikkin 360 can run?
Unless they do a complete overhaul of all things graphic ala skyrims 2k textures with enb it is either a horribly unoptimized port or a gross exaggeration.

The requirements definitely DO seem strangely high for such a game. My rig does exceed them - but not by much.

I wonder what that means in terms of reality, however.

I'm as much in to building and upgrading my pc as I am in to gaming. I'm running an i7 clock at 5 Ghz and dual titans so it's not a problem.

My 2 sons pcs also comfortably meet recommend specs.

I don't think these specs are too high. If you look at min spec that's 2009 hardware. So you won't be out if your pc is older than a year.

I'm guessing the r9 or gtx 660 requirement is for multi monitor and some specific dx11 abilities as they mention those thigs at the bottom of the page.

I'm guessing anything built within the last couple years ( that doesn't have integrated video) will run it just fine minus some features you probably wouldn't really notice without a side by side comparison.

I would expect to see more of this though with the new consoles out spec will rise and it's about time IMO.

So thoughts? Do you think it's a worthy installment to the franchise? After Human Revolution, I thought the studio would be able to replicate that success again but for me, Thief is a shadow of the original series in every way.

Back
Top Bottom