Does Extremist Media Inspire Violence or Curb It?

I have to say I missed Prime J's distinction initally as well and came to the same conclusion as dte, which baffled me completely. Thanks for clarifying.

Whether it's murder by death or whatever, the basic conclusion about too many answers being no answer is the actual sticking point in the argument. If I'm reading dte's point correctly, he's saying the more you qualify something, the less assurance you have that a situation is under control, or that a question has actually been answered.

I can understand this to some degree, but we're really getting off into the weeds here with the semantic discussion, when the issue that seems more basic is about whether black and white or shades of grey embody the solution to what point of view is most ...productive, I guess? It's pretty hard for me to accept that the best course for society is to abide by a ruleset that states that nothing in life is nuanced. That's kind of the problem with fundamentalist religion.

Again it get's back to the idea that one's perception of reality changes if you think the world should be rendered in black and white or full scale technicolor.

I apologize, dte, but I'm not. I am trying to answer your questions as honestly, precisely, and clearly as I can. I even included an answer to the question I thought you might have wanted to ask, and, indeed, it was pretty much as you expected. Your use of the word "murder" simply threw me off, as I'm trying my best not to read anything into your posts that you're not actually saying (since I know from experience that that sort of thing rarely leads to anything good).
The given example of self defense should be sufficient to show that parsing "murder" is wholly unnecessary, yes, since self defense would have no context in a discussion of dictionary-defined murder, right? So it should be pretty clear that parsing when it is unwarranted would be counterproductive, yes?
So here it is again, substituting "killing another human being" for "murder": I believe that as a general rule it is unacceptable to kill other human beings, but there are some specific circumstances that make it less unacceptable, or even acceptable, or, very rarely, desirable.
Lord knows I'll never attempt to move a conversation along by answering a largely rhetorical question for you again. Let's get back to the actual point at hand, since our argument about the parsing of "murder" is completely tangential. My position is that even you summarize your positions with binary responses with restricted parameters. You swear up and down you do not. This is the debate. No more, no less.

"I believe that as a general rule it is unacceptable..." Binary response. Yes/no. Acceptable/unacceptable.

Gonna omit the action of your quote, because the action is irrelevant. I thought I was picking an easy, non-argumentative one, but clearly I was horribly mistaken.

"...but there are specific circumstances..." Restricted parameters. Subsets of the global where your binary is not applicable.

"...that make it less unacceptable, or even acceptable, or, very rarely, desirable." This reflects nothing more than the stuff to either side of your tipping point. It's under the hood. Background calculations. Ultimately, nobody gives two shits about your moral qualms any more than they would mine. They want your answer.

Maybe I would have been better off proving my point with court decisions. Guilty or not guilty (strictly binary) or not guilty by reason of insanity (restricted parameters)? No room for your wishy-washy scalars at the end of the trial. Sure, there's plenty of judgment calls that occur under the hood back in the deliberation room, but nobody cares about that stuff--they want your verdict. Nothing happens based on the deliberations. Nothing happens until you offer up that binary that you claim doesn't exist in your world. Show me scalars in your verdict, Jury Foreman PJ, since you deny the existence of binary answers.

You people need to accept that some of your stances - or opinions - are as they are, even if you're conscious of them being flawed or incomplete.

It's as if you actually believe you know what's right or wrong in, what seems to me, an unrealistic amount of situations.

We do what we must, because sometimes decisions must be made and actions must be taken. But we need to realise that many of those decisions are going to be wrong, and we're going to be aware of it.

Something can be necessary without being right.

It's like not being a vegetarian - where you know you're actively supporting the slaughtering of animals and a ton of unnecessary pain for the poor creatures. But you still eat meat - and you need to justify it.

Some CAN justify it - but many can't - and yet they still eat meat.

Scary, isn't it.

Whether it's murder by death or whatever, the basic conclusion about too many answers being no answer is the actual sticking point in the argument. If I'm reading dte's point correctly, he's saying the more you qualify something, the less assurance you have that a situation is under control, or that a question has actually been answered.
Excellent. Yes.
I can understand this to some degree, but we're really getting off into the weeds here with the semantic discussion,
Don't we always? It's not even a good discussion until we're rolling in the poison ivy with a thistle up our ass and have no idea where the road went. :D
when the issue that seems more basic is about whether black and white or shades of grey embody the solution to what point of view is most ...productive, I guess? It's pretty hard for me to accept that the best course for society is to abide by a ruleset that states that nothing in life is nuanced. That's kind of the problem with fundamentalist religion.
You're missing it just a bit, me thinks. Nuance is fine and valuable, but it's not an answer. It can only be a prelude to the answer. The answer must ultimately be binary. Where chaos intrudes, there may be a need for restricted parameter sets. These restrictions really are the reflection of PJ's under-the-hood scalars--different situations pushing the tipping point around. The most applicable answer will have no restrictions, a global directive, while extensive restrictions will make the answer less and less valuable since the odds having to navigate all the "ifs ands ors and buts" in order to determine the all-important binary answer increase each time.

Maybe I was a bit messy in my previous post.

To translate:

dte believes in answers.

Those who disagree believe there might NOT be any answer.

Answer / No Answer

It's binary like dte wants it to be.

So, instead of messing about trying to justify what dte considers a binary "right" or "wrong" - just acknowledge that you don't know the answer.

That's what it really means, and I tend to agree.

Just because the world is complex doesn't mean you can ignore it because it is teh hard.

That's a form of willfull incompetence that characterized the Bush administration, and look where it got us.

Laziz faire (or however you spell it) policies also follow from this assertion that the system is too hard to control, so just let it do it itself.

I just chalk this up to laziness and fear of change from those who are currently on top in the current system.

You people need to accept that some of your stances - or opinions - are as they are, even if you're conscious of them being flawed or incomplete.

It's as if you actually believe you know what's right or wrong in, what seems to me, an unrealistic amount of situations.

We do what we must, because sometimes decisions must be made and actions must be taken. But we need to realise that many of those decisions are going to be wrong, and we're going to be aware of it.

Something can be necessary without being right.

Scary, isn't it.

Agreed. You also have to try and walk a fine line between varying extremes. On one hand, you don't want to be impulsive, but on the other, you don't want to be indecisive. You don't want to become too rigid in your thinking and refuse to change your mind if reality necessitates it, but you don't want to be a flip-flopper/unreliable/waffling either.

I sure as hell don't think I have perfect knowledge or understanding, and it's why I like posting here - my opinions and viewpoints have been swayed by people here. And even when my views stay relatively the same, I learn new information and get insight on how others view problems, which is always useful to have.

It's why I get extremely aggravated at my parents (to give you guys a rough idea of where they stand, they honestly make dte look liberal in many respects) - they bitch at me because I don't watch Fox News or Beck. My response of "I grew up in that environment for 20 years, I know what they say and how they think" doesn't cut it and they accuse me of being "brainwashed", despite the fact that every time they argue with me I constantly prove I know more about the issues they try to argue about. Their response is always "shut up, you know more than I do" followed by "you're still wrong though!". Kind of sad. I'm glad I'm nothing like them intellectually.

Just because the world is complex doesn't mean you can ignore it because it is teh hard.

That's a form of willfull incompetence that characterized the Bush administration, and look where it got us.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, though.

I'm talking about taking action, making choices, having beliefs - and at the same time - realise that you're neither right or wrong to do or have these things. Because you can never know if those things ARE right or wrong.

dte seems to believe that he can be assured that some things ARE right or wrong - and that's good for him. I believe he's kidding himself as are most people on earth, but there it is.

I don't disagree with the latter part of your point, but I think the last two years of the Bush administration will be interesting to study. A lot of changes occurred that have been carried into the Obama administration, and I think ten through twenty years from now there will be some good case studies that examine those years.

dte seems to believe that he can be assured that some things ARE right or wrong - and that's good for him. I believe he's kidding himself as are most people on earth, but there it is.
So then, you've put all the data about my position in your brain and pulled the lever and out popped the little piece of paper that says, "dte is wrong" (I'm taking the liberty of replacing "kidding himself" with "wrong" solely for simplicity, which I believe has no effect on your meaning). Binary answer, there. I do appreciate the example.

It's not even a question of right/wrong, it's the fundamental belief that all *answers* or *decisions* are binary versus the stance that everything is relative.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, though.

I'm talking about taking action, making choices, having beliefs - and at the same time - realise that you're neither right or wrong to do or have these things. Because you can never know if those things ARE right or wrong.

I wasn't. I agree that not knowing everything perfectly and sometimes being wrong goes hand in hand with trying to make progess in a complex world.

What bothers me is this self-paralyzing state some find themselves in. "I can't do anything because it's not clear in black and white what is true and what the proper response should be." It's fear or laziness or both.

It's not that the decision needs to be relative, it's that the decision may need to be measured, scaled, what have you. Anyone with education in control theory knows that a 1 or 0 response if usually insufficient for nicely controlled behavior. Limiting yourself to just binary decisions often leads to chaos and instabilities.

Last edited:
So then, you've put all the data about my position in your brain and pulled the lever and out popped the little piece of paper that says, "dte is wrong" (I'm taking the liberty of replacing "kidding himself" with "wrong" solely for simplicity, which I believe has no effect on your meaning). Binary answer, there. I do appreciate the example.

It's not even a question of right/wrong, it's the fundamental belief that all *answers* or *decisions* are binary versus the stance that everything is relative.

I think you're confusing concepts.

What is binary about the color blue?

You ask me what's the color of the sea, and I answer blue.

The binary aspect is that there's an answer (as opposed to no answer), true, but the color isn't binary.

A binary answer would be something like yes or no - but what I'm saying is that we can't know the binary answer to what's right or wrong. We can GIVE an answer, and indeed often we must, but the difference between you and those who are not like you, is that you feel assured you're right when you take a stance.

If you don't, then how can you justify capital punishment? I assume you believe it's "right" - so if you're wavering, it must be very unpleasant.

I wasn't. I agree that not knowing everything perfectly and sometimes being wrong goes hand in hand with trying to make progess in a complex world.

The point is that you feel assured we make progress, I don't.

What bothers me is this self-paralyzing state some find themselves in. "I can't do anything because it's not clear in black and white what is true and what the proper response should be." It's fear or laziness or both.

If you're trying to say you don't get paralyzed by fear, you're lying.

If you're not saying that, then you should recognize the sensation and perhaps try to understand that there are those who would rather do nothing than risk doing wrong. That kind of fear can be just as beneficial to the world as it can be harmful.

You think you understand what progress is, and that's great - but people don't have to be afraid or lazy to be in doubt.

You're missing it just a bit, me thinks. Nuance is fine and valuable, but it's not an answer. It can only be a prelude to the answer. The answer must ultimately be binary. Where chaos intrudes, there may be a need for restricted parameter sets. These restrictions really are the reflection of PJ's under-the-hood scalars--different situations pushing the tipping point around. The most applicable answer will have no restrictions, a global directive, while extensive restrictions will make the answer less and less valuable since the odds having to navigate all the "ifs ands ors and buts" in order to determine the all-important binary answer increase each time.
I'm agreeing with you all the way here, and I think I'm with you to up to this point, where I'm once again protecting myself from invasive thorny vegatation: if the nuances/scalers *are* valuable, and the prelude to an answer, why isn't the answer affected by them? I mean, I've presented all the racist/human booshwah nuances, but they seem not to be able to be part of your answer, which is boiling the situation down to a black and white, yes or no state i.e., If you ever draw a conclusion that's negative about a race not your own, you're a racist.

*snip*
To translate:
dte believes in answers.
Those who disagree believe there might NOT be any answer.
Answer / No Answer
It's binary like dte wants it to be.
So, instead of messing about trying to justify what dte considers a binary "right" or "wrong" - just acknowledge that you don't know the answer.

That's what it really means, and I tend to agree.

That's some fancy mental footwork, D'Artagnan ( and I mean that in a good way.) You are definitely giving me another perspective on the argument, which I appreciate and will try to absorb as I think you've stripped a lot of inessentials away.

*more snip cuz multi-quote is huge*
I sure as hell don't think I have perfect knowledge or understanding, and it's why I like posting here - my opinions and viewpoints have been swayed by people here. And even when my views stay relatively the same, I learn new information and get insight on how others view problems, which is always useful to have.
Exactly. As humans we have to make an effort to interact with different elements or we become extremely tribal and dangerous, plus understanding others' points of view also makes true decision and choice possible.

It's why I get extremely aggravated at my parents (to give you guys a rough idea of where they stand, they honestly make dte look liberal in many respects) ....
Don't tell him but he's actually far more liberal than the people I'm surrounded by here in Oklahoma--one of whom stood up at a Tom Coburn Healthcare Town Hall and said; "We're kinda hopin' we'll see you and Sarah Palin on the same ticket in 2012" *That's* conservative. :)

I don't disagree with the latter part of your point, but I think the last two years of the Bush administration will be interesting to study. A lot of changes occurred that have been carried into the Obama administration, and I think ten through twenty years from now there will be some good case studies that examine those years.

I agree. I think there's going to be a different judgment made on the post-Cheney years. Ultimately, I don't think there's much of a stand-up legacy for Dubya, though. He opted out for way too long, plus too many bad decisions and policies and too much ego(though I doubt you can find a politician with any less.)

The given example of self defense should be sufficient to show that parsing "murder" is wholly unnecessary, yes, since self defense would have no context in a discussion of dictionary-defined murder, right? So it should be pretty clear that parsing when it is unwarranted would be counterproductive, yes?

Certainly. I should have considered my response more thoroughly before posting. I apologize for the annoyance I have caused, and I'll try to do better from now on.

Lord knows I'll never attempt to move a conversation along by answering a largely rhetorical question for you again. Let's get back to the actual point at hand, since our argument about the parsing of "murder" is completely tangential. My position is that even you summarize your positions with binary responses with restricted parameters. You swear up and down you do not. This is the debate. No more, no less.

In that case, I did not phrase my statement correctly, although I had hoped that my subsequent explanation would have cleared it up. As I said, I believe that various instances of one human killing another fall along a continuum between "wholly unacceptable" and "morally imperative."

"I believe that as a general rule it is unacceptable..." Binary response. Yes/no. Acceptable/unacceptable.

But that's not what I believe, nor is it what I attempted to express. As I said, I believe that things fall on a continuum; not a binary either-or choice.

Gonna omit the action of your quote, because the action is irrelevant. I thought I was picking an easy, non-argumentative one, but clearly I was horribly mistaken.

dte, I'm honestly doing my level best to be as non-argumentative as I can. I can't help it if I don't agree with you, though, and I don't want to pretend I do just to avoid an argument. If you can't accept that, then perhaps it's better that we don't pursue these kinds of discussions at all.

"...but there are specific circumstances..." Restricted parameters. Subsets of the global where your binary is not applicable.

Again, it's not a binary. It's a continuum: "totally not acceptable" at one end, "mandatory" at another end. I believe that most cases of homicide fall near the "totally not acceptable" end of the continuum, but there are specific circumstances under which they fall somewhere else.

"...that make it less unacceptable, or even acceptable, or, very rarely, desirable." This reflects nothing more than the stuff to either side of your tipping point. It's under the hood. Background calculations. Ultimately, nobody gives two shits about your moral qualms any more than they would mine. They want your answer.

But my answer isn't a binary "acceptable/not acceptable." It's a scalar -- "how acceptable/not acceptable." You may not like that answer, or want to accept it, but that's still what it is.

Maybe I would have been better off proving my point with court decisions. Guilty or not guilty (strictly binary) or not guilty by reason of insanity (restricted parameters)? No room for your wishy-washy scalars at the end of the trial. Sure, there's plenty of judgment calls that occur under the hood back in the deliberation room, but nobody cares about that stuff--they want your verdict. Nothing happens based on the deliberations. Nothing happens until you offer up that binary that you claim doesn't exist in your world. Show me scalars in your verdict, Jury Foreman PJ, since you deny the existence of binary answers.

The scalar shows up in sentencing. One killer gets the death penalty. Another gets life without possibility of parole. Another gets fifteen to life. Another gets ten. Another gets five. Another gets paroled. Yet another gets off scot-free. The "guilty/not guilty" verdict is just the first part of it.

What's more, I by no means deny the *existence* of binary answers -- you, for example, are all to eager to provide them. However, *I* do not, generally speaking, offer binary answers, because I believe that they almost invariably oversimplify things to the point where they become almost as bad, or even worse, than no answer at all.

I think you're confusing concepts.

What is binary about the color blue?

You ask me what's the color of the sea, and I answer blue.

The binary aspect is that there's an answer (as opposed to no answer), true, but the color isn't binary.
Is the color of the Caribbean the same as the color of the Pacific the same as the color of the Arctic? Shades of blue, wouldn't you say? But your answer was a definitive, not a sliding scale. You didn't tell me the color of the sea varies by location and depth between something approximating indigo and something in the vicinity of baby blue. You took all that subjective crap into consideration and gave me a definite answer. And were I planning on taking some action based on your response, I could do so; whereas, had you given me a the lengthly subjective like I described, you couldn't have answered the question without additional detail (restricted parameters) and I could do nothing.
A binary answer would be something like yes or no - but what I'm saying is that we can't know the binary answer to what's right or wrong. We can GIVE an answer, and indeed often we must, but the difference between you and those who are not like you, is that you feel assured you're right when you take a stance.
Perhaps I should be using "definitive" rather than "binary", even though there's a lot of overlap there. I don't think the terminology change would alter the argument much. I would characterize my approach as "the definitive best answer based on available information" rather than a pure "right", but yes, I must have that self-assurance. I don't know how any person could function otherwise. How could one decide the sea is blue but knowingly answer the question, "plaid"?

The point is that you feel assured we make progress, I don't.

If you're trying to say you don't get paralyzed by fear, you're lying.

If you're not saying that, then you should recognize the sensation and perhaps try to understand that there are those who would rather do nothing than risk doing wrong. That kind of fear can be just as beneficial to the world as it can be harmful.

You think you understand what progress is, and that's great - but people don't have to be afraid or lazy to be in doubt.

You're missing the point. Not trying to make progress is just fear or laziness.

Perhaps I should be using "definitive" rather than "binary", even though there's a lot of overlap there. I don't think the terminology change would alter the argument much. 9 would characterize my approach as "the definitive best answer based on available information" rather than a pure "right", but yes, I must have that self-assurance. I don't know how any person could function otherwise. How could one decide the sea is blue but knowingly answer the question, "plaid"?

For someone as obsessive about boiling things down to their simplest form, you sure seem to have a hard time doing it yourself.

Don't think binary, don't think definitive.

Just do what I'm suggesting and think "answer."

That's what I'm saying. You believe that every question has an answer - and those who're not like you, don't.

We answer because we must, not because the answer is there. So, essentially, we give "an answer" and you give "the answer".

Back
Top Bottom