Black Isle - The Cancelled Planescape Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer has another article style interview this week with Colin McComb about the story behind Black Isle's cancelled PlayStation Planescape game.

The Souls effect will reach fever pitch this week with the release of Bloodborne, and very important gaming people at lunch around the world will wonder how they can copy it. Feels like a recent thing, given that Dark Souls appeared in 2011 to really kick it all off. But as I discovered, in something of a crypt in London recently, the Souls effect was felt a long, long time ago.

It's 1996 and Super Mario 64 has come out, Quake has come out, Tomb Raider has come out. The Spice Girls are only just coming out (I could have worded that differently). Meanwhile, over in America, Colin McComb writes Planescape campaigns for Dungeons & Dragons. But he wants to go to California because there's this girl there. Then he sees his chance.

"Come on out and be the lead designer of this PlayStation game that we're doing with the Planescape licence," a company offers him.

The company turns out to be Interplay, a games company in full bloom; the man offering him a job is Feargus Urquhart, head of subsidiary studio Black Isle (now in charge of Obsidian Entertainment). What Urquhart wanted Colin McComb to make was something a lot like 1994 PS1 game King's Field. You know, King's Field made by From Software. You know, the King's Field series that would inspire Demon's Souls.

"Have you played King's Field?" Urquhart asks McComb in his first briefing. "And I said, 'I have not,'" McComb tells me. "And he said, 'Your first task is to play King's Field.' So they dropped me into an office with a PlayStation and King's Field and then said, 'Get going.'"

Brief in hand, McComb got going. It was just him and a programmer in a small office for weeks, months even. He hadn't made a computer game before, only tabletop games, but gradually ideas began to form, and the project known as Planescape PSX was born.
More information.

Kings Field was such a great game, that I think was the game I bought my Playstation One for, well, that and residential medieval. I didn't buy a ton of games for the system, but the ones I had I was pleased with.

Always good to see King's Field get mentioned. I loved that series back in the day. I wish someone would remake them.

Back
Top Bottom