Lucas Arts Classics - Now Available On GOG

aries100

SasqWatch
From Joystig comes the news that GOG.com now will feature the Classics from Lucas Arts:

"We're proud to announce a new partnership with Disney that allows for the DRM-free release of about 30 classic titles from [LucasArts]," the leaked post read. "Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucas' most famous gaming franchises, so that the Disney/Lucasfilm catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one."
The official confirmed tweet can be found at GOG.com - alongside with information
on 6 games that you can download instantly:

Star WarsTM: X-Wing Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
Star WarsTM: TIE Fighter Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
Sam & Max Hit the Road (Windows + Mac + Linux!) - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
The Secret of Monkey IslandTM: Special Edition
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of AtlantisTM (Windows + Mac + Linux!)
Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic
Note that numerous Lucas titles, including 3 from the launch lineup (Star Wars®: X-Wing Special Edition, Star Wars®: TIE Fighter Special Edition, Sam & Max Hit the Road), are available digitally for the first time ever, ready to play with no fuss on modern operating systems.
More information.

I want to thank wolfing for bringing this to my attention in the forums yesterday. Also thank you aries100 for posting the news-bit to share with everyone.:handshake:

I'm glad to see another option beside steam offer the classic games for sale.:clap:

This may be very good for me. On my newer operating systems (Windows 7 and 8.1) I could never get it to work. (Strangely KotoR 2 does work.) GOG also have a 30 day guarantee so if it does not work then you get your money back.

Story/press release got picked up by arstechnica too. Not exactly mainstream media, but I guess that it did at least make the "high-brow" nerd news sites too.

In my view Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is in my view one of the very best crpgs ever. Up until that time I was very resistant to non-fantasy-based crpgs but that helped me break through that barrier.

For XW/TF the price is pretty ridiculous for such ancient games, frankly.

However, if something significant has been added - that's fair enough I guess.

Anyone actually tried one of these versions?

For XW/TF the price is pretty ridiculous for such ancient games, frankly.

However, if something significant has been added - that's fair enough I guess.

Anyone actually tried one of these versions?

They're definitely milking it a bit it seems. Some of them should have been bundled together imo.

Yeah, pretty much 'this' ... at $5.99 each I would have bought both instantly - at $9.99 I'll wait for the sale.

Tie Fighter is an aweseome game. I actually completed it with M&K. Now I would probably just buy a joystick... ;)

Is it worth replaying or is it a better idea to wait for Elita an Star Citizen for the space combat fix?

Is it worth replaying or is it a better idea to wait for Elita an Star Citizen for the space combat fix?

I don't know these new versions very well, but Elite Dangerous is much more freeform and not really a campaign based experience. It's a multiplayer Frontier that's very, very pretty.

Star Citizen is like a hugely evolved Wing Commander and Freelancer in one, but that's not out until 2016 at the earliest. I don't expect a reasonably complete version until 2017 or even 2018.

Personally, I don't intend to pay 10 bucks for cash-grabs like this, but if you can live with the absurdly out-of-date visuals and controls - and you enjoy a challenging space sim, why not.

Back
Top Bottom