Free NIN album

StackSmasher

Crazy UNIX guy
Nine Inch Nails has uploaded an album, Ghosts I, to various torrent trackers licensed under a[sic] Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license.

All of the albums, Ghosts I - IV, containing 36 tracks total are available in multiple formats from the official site for as little as U.S. $5.00.

I purchased the albums and am currently downloading them in FLAC format (607 MB). The site is pretty slammed right now so your download times might be longer than expected.

Here is a link to the announcement on TPB: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4059158/Nine_Inch_Nail

Enjoy.

Yeah, interesting stuff ...

I've only made it through the first album so far, since my daughter carted off with the MP3 player and decided she'd like to listen to it :) It's an all instrumental affair and so far I've enjoyed it.

I'm glad to see that the reception was so great that they had to take the network offline for a few hours to upgrade due to demand. I was ecstatic to see the lossless stuff available as it is great to have as your source to transcode as you please to whatever format you might need. I have 607 MB of FLAC that I can either listen to on my computer or compress to 192 kB MP3 (157 MB) in a matter of minutes for transport to my cars deck or my portable player...

Sorry to hijack, but - what do you use for quick and dirty FLAC -> MP3 conversion? I've had trouble finding a suitable tool for the job (mainly the same reason as you: compressing it for my mp3).

Sorry to hijack, but - what do you use for quick and dirty FLAC -> MP3 conversion? I've had trouble finding a suitable tool for the job (mainly the same reason as you: compressing it for my mp3).

No problem. I use a Linux or BSD workstation with the exception of gaming. That said, I have the FLAC and LAME libraries installed, so all I had to do was script up this nasty thing to do my dirty work:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# convert_flac.sh - convert all FLAC files to mp3 files in current working directory

for file in ./*flac
        do
                printf "${file}\n"
                outfile=`echo ${file} | sed s/flac/mp3/`
                printf "${outfile}\n"
                flac -d -c "${file}" | lame --preset cbr cd - "${outfile}"
        done

If you're using Windows or MAC, I *think* audacity can meet your needs although not in a batch, IIRC.

HTH,
--James

There are other command-line tools for WinXP and GUI front-ends as well. Can't remember off-hand,. though

Back
Top Bottom