BioShock - DRM Removed (kinda)

We are basically talking about DRM - which is basically a means of punishing the people who buy your stuff *forever* in the hopes of deterring piracy for a short period.
I don't think I need to guess which side of the fence you are on then. Do you honestly think sucessful publishers actually want to punish people?

What we have seen, as exemplified by these two games, is a 'stretching out' of DRM - making it more and more onerous little by little so that even if they 'cave' we still have worse DRM than we did a few years ago.
I think this the damned if you do, damned if you don't effect coming through. People have been moaning about CD checks for years, and most of them yelled for an internet based check that meant they didn't need to use CDs. Now they've got that those same people are moaning about the internet check.

I don't think I need to guess which side of the fence you are on then. Do you honestly think sucessful publishers actually want to punish people?

I think this the damned if you do, damned if you don't effect coming through. People have been moaning about CD checks for years, and most of them yelled for an internet based check that meant they didn't need to use CDs. Now they've got that those same people are moaning about the internet check.

First off, I don't know who was crying for internet authorizations ... I mean, for games without a need for internet, that is absurd and limiting - imagine if we had to get authorizations from Troika, Black Isle, etc ...

And while I don't think that they *want* to punish people, it is all calculated risk, and they obviously feel that the balance must be pushed to limit piracy, regardless of what it does to legit customers. And quite frankly, to most of them it is all just noise so long as people buy it up by the millions.

Back
Top Bottom