Skyrim - Creation Kit Update, v1.4 Patch Notes

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's an update on the Bethblog saying the Skyrim Creation Kit and Steam Workshop are almost ready, along with the patch notes for v1.4, which offers a raft of fixes. An excerpt:
It’s been a few weeks since our last update on Skyrim’s status, so we wanted to share details on what we’re working on.
The Creation Kit and Steam Workshop are nearly ready. We’re currently working with members of Valve and our modding community to do some final testing, and we’re on track for a public release near the end of the month. We think Skyrim modding is one of the game’s best features, and we have the best modders of any game. It’s been a lot of exciting work for us, and we can’t wait to unleash it.
Skyrim’s 1.4 update is currently undergoing testing on all three platforms. The update will include fixes and optimizations for the most common issues people have been reporting (see below). We’re hoping to finalize this next week, and submit it to the console manufacturers for certification, as well as release on PC.
Our current update plan for the PC is to first release our updates as “beta” versions through Steam. This is something you’ll be able to opt into through Steam and back-out of if needed. This is an extra safety check for everyone going forward and should expedite and improve our updating process for our PC users. We’ll have more info soon on how this will work.
Echoing what we said back in December, we’ll continue to look into issues that are being reported and subsequent updates will follow. You have all supported Skyrim in a huge way, and we’ll be supporting all of you, and continue to make the game better.
After the break, check out the current changelog for 1.4.
More information.

I like the idea of making updates available faster as Beta versions, but does this mean more internal QA resources would be going into testing the console patches?

Or would the PC patches become available much faster as a result?

I suppose ultimately if a million Steam PC users test a patch, they are going to do a better job finding problems.

I suppose ultimately if a million Steam PC users test a patch, they are going to do a better job finding problems.

They'll also give a far better ability to diagnose and classify configuration specific glitches related to specific pieces of hardware, versions of system software, and settings used. This is one of the reasons open betas used to be more common - its almost impossible for internal QA to adequately approximate the range of possible configurations.

I think this is also in response to people being annoyed by being forced to accept the "beta" (or any) patches through Steam. Now user's will have the option to not patch, without having to resort to taking Steam offline. Progress!

EDIT: Also, nice start on quest bug fixes, but they overlooked many others. For example, I can't sell give the eye of the falmer as the last heist of the Thieves Guild quest.

I pre-order this game but yet to play it....
it is installed my question is have there been enough updates to start

I pre-order this game but yet to play it….

I would say yes, absolutely. After Patch 1.3, I had zero CTDs.

The only glitches I'm still seeing once in a while are small stuff like followers or zombies having trouble with A.I. pathing, follower not equipping a bow, etc.

One of the companions quests didn't complete properly, but I was able to use console command to complete it.

I'm in the same boat. Bought it back in November, installed it, but have not played it. I'm glad to see that 1.4 includes a good number of 'quest' fixes. It was talk of all the broken quests that have me waiting it out.

Even with 1.4, I think I will hold off playing. I really want as many quests as possible to be fixed before I start my first Skyrim character. KoA: Reckoning is going to make the wait a lot easier...

Looks like that compiler option problem was a PC only problem. I wonder what the whole story was?

In my case, I've played about 400 hours so far and I only experienced that one quest problem.

Prior to Patch 1.3, I noticed that Louis Letrush had cloned himself, but this didn't mess up the quest. There was simply an extra Louis Letrush standing near the Whiterun stables.

Not sure if 1.3 fixes the Louis Letrush clones or not, as I haven't done that quest with my subsequent characters.

Yeah, it really depends on much one likes this style of game. If one thinks Morrowind was fantastic, one shouldn't hold off on this, especially if one is playing on a PC.

I'm sure I haven't played as much as a lot of folks here, but I haven't experienced a single serious bug. Runs much better for me than the average game, even the so-called AAA titles.

Edit: On PC.

Only played about 60 hours but yet to see a bug I'd call "significant". That's not to say there aren't bugs but holding off playing in fear seems an overreaction to me.

Saying I'm holding off playing out of 'fear' seems like an overreaction to me… :p

For me, a lot of my enjoyment comes from quests. I read a lot about quests that break in a variety of ways. Of particular concern, are quests known to break by finding quest related items/areas before you get the quest. Since I like going off an exploring, this is of particular concern to me.

I have a lot of other games I can play, I really don't mind waiting for patches to fix things up, particularly the quests.

There's no fear here. Just biding my time. Very calm here, I'm very much at peace, playing other games. Waiting patiently. Skyrim is gonna take me years to play anyway since I only get tiny chunks of play time these days.

Well I hope for your sake they do fix all the quest bugs. But they never have in the past. Fan made fixes usually go a lot further than Bethesda's partial attempts. Just saying...

Well I hope for your sake they do fix all the quest bugs. But they never have in the past. Fan made fixes usually go a lot further than Bethesda's partial attempts. Just saying…

Yeah I mean this is probably the best they've ever done in terms of listening to and addressing these sorts of bugs without waiting to release subsequent patches just ahead of DLC launches. Even so, some things will still be fixed by fan-made patches before they're adressed by Bethesda and people will continue making fan-made patches fixing things long after Bethesda stops.

From how they've handled things up through 1.4 I suspect they'll fix a far larger percentage of these glitches in the end themselves than they did with Fallout 3 for example, but I think it would be overly optimistic to think that percentage will be 100.

This is the Bethsoft I like to see! I'm very curious what they are planning for DLC.

Indeed. The game is just performing better and better on the system. Good that they're doing a beta test as well, can't always predict the effects of compiler flag changes.

The demo code of Amalur was buggy as hell, so I hope that it doesn't disappoint those hoping to play it till Skyrim was patched. I had one fun bug where the conversation choices would scroll at light speed, making it nearly impossible to click the one that actually forwarded a quest.

I agree that the community will end up addressing many of Skyrim's bugs. Bethesda is doing a much better job, but at the end of the day they've made their money on the title and their urgency isn't as high as the rabid fan base.

I think, after playing Skyrim for several hundred hours, that the thing I want most is fleshing out the game. For all the people in Whiterun, there are only a few quests to be had in the whole city. Many cities, guilds, and factions are like this. The problem for Bethesda is in getting the same voice actors to reprise all the roles. That'd be pretty hard, I imagine. There is a strong need for a sense of time passing. Certain quests shouldn't trigger until later in the game. As it stands now, every quest triggers the first time you meet someone. I'd like to see quests trigger based off of skill level, certain perks, and character level rather than first contact.

Back
Top Bottom