All Purpose Blogger - What We Want in Fallout 4

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
All Purpose Blogger has wote a new article about what they want in Fallout 4. I know the game hasn't been announced, but we know it will at some point in time. So debate away.

There are a few whispers flying around about the possibility of a new Fallout game (presumably Fallout 4). The rumours mostly stem from the voice actor of Three Dog (“Oooooowwwwwww!” etc.) working on a “top secret” development game as far as I can tell, alongside a few other staff members at Bethesda hinting at ideas, so it could all be complete nonsense. But let’s face it, why wouldn’t Bethesda be working on a new sequel? They’d have to be insane not to. Everything about the Fallout universe is awesome: the games just have a plot and atmosphere that you can’t seem to find anywhere else. The fans are crying out for it.

Two of the big reasons for the rising expectations are a source at IGN, with “First things first, I know that Fallout 4 is currently in active development at Bethesda.” and a warning from Pete Hines “not to even ask us about the game or questions how far in development the game is”. So that got me thinking… if they did happen to make another Fallout game (which they will, I’m betting), what would I want to see from the post-apocalyptic world this time? After New Vegas and Fallout 3 (along with the classics of course) what did I figure was missing from the previous games, or should be scheduled for a triumphant return? Read on below to find out!
More information.

After reading the article I'll say no, no, no, no, no and no, again no, and no, no, no…

But this, yes, absolutely:
The New Vegas Treatment: A lot of people may think I’m mad saying this, but hear me out first. I enjoyed New Vegas more than Fallout 3 not only because it stuck closer to the original fluff, but because you appeared to have some sort of choice in your story arc.

I actually like most of his ideas, and the fact that he likes NV more than FO3 makes me think we're sort of on the same page. I really don't like the Boston setting that it's rumored to be in… at all. Boston is/was a boring city even before things went nuclear and just screams "laziness" out of the Bethesda group, who apparently don't have a travel budget for FO4. San Francisco would be best IMO, then maybe Chicago… Hell, another desert landscape would be great, too.

Most important wishlist features for me:
  • Don't make the setting 200 years after the bombs fell, with edible food, legible newspapers, and other details that describe a scenario that took place merely 5 - 10 years ago. Set it up 10-20 years post-bombs so I don't constantly have to suspend my disbelief.
  • More metro areas, please, complete with subterranean exploration (underground shanty towns…)
  • Get some decent non-intern writers, Bethesda (who am I fooling?!)
  • Refine your piece of crap, 10 year old Gamebryo engine (or as you call it now - the Creation Engine, ooo-ahhhh) to a) not be so horrendously unstable once modded and b) not rely on save games that grow and keep on growing the longer you play in a sandbox world - kind of self-defeating, isn't it?
Ok, so the latter two are more wishful thinking than anything. I too would be intrigued by a post-apocalyptic London, but that belongs in a separate game. Part of what makes for the Fallout experience is that zany American 50's alternate reality. Britain was still rebuilding and anything but happy-go-lucky in the 50's.

Last edited:
How about St. Louis ala the Defiance TV show on Syfy? Of course, I'm a little prejudiced ;) What creatures would have creeped out of the Mississippi, where all the oil refineries sit?

Truth is, I would love to see a Fallout set outside the USA, but it would need to be done by folks who lived in and understood the area. Fallout 4 done by Bethesda, for sure. Fallout: London or Fallout: Shanghai done by a studio from one of those places would be cool too.

+1 to the anti-Boston sentiment. While I wouldn't mind seeing a nuke get dropped on that area (I wonder if the survivors would still have that obnoxious accent 200 years later), I don't want to play a Fallout game there.

hahaha, yeah Boston doesn't have any emotional appeal to me but apparently they are going after story / lore tie ins to the other games up there.

I enjoyed F3 much more than NV. I just did not like the story in NV at all and lost interest before I finished the game. I love the Fallout universe but it needs more mutants and color for sure.

I enjoyed F3 much more than NV. I just did not like the story in NV at all and lost interest before I finished the game. I love the Fallout universe but it needs more mutants and color for sure.

Agreed. The F3 story was more enjoyable for me, even with all its flaws. I've played both and they each have their positive and negative aspects, so I'd like the best of the two.

Last edited:
I preferred Fallout NV more than Fallout 3 sorry it's definitely better in my opinion.:cool:

Though I wouldn't mind a combination of both, but that's giving Bethesda to much credit. They still need to improve their writing and story.

I was bored out of my mind half-way through FO:NV, i really didn't like the story at all. The New Vegas location was so, ugh, boring.. i can't see myself replaying it just because of how much i hated that location, completely uninspring, even with the large mods that was trying to fix it and restored tons of stuff that didn't make it to the final game.

FO:NV did the faction thing extremely well though, absolutely the best part. I also didnt think the often immature design (cowboy robots with cartoon faces, funny mutants with red glasses and wigs and whatnot) mixed with the rather dark theme worked out at all. Bethesda did a better job keeping it more consistent + did a much better job level design wise.

Agreed. The F3 story was more enjoyable for me, even with all its flaws. I've played both and they each have their positive and negative aspects, so I'd like the best of the two.
+1 and I never understood the whining about the dialogs. I read the whining a bit at release but didn't played the game until 1 or 2 years and then didn't understood why the negativity on this.

I haven't finished neither FO3 nor FNV. I will agree the writing in FNV is better not that the choices did impress me at all. But where FNV failed is how unskilled was the team to design landscape and progression in open world. At opposite FO3 impressed me on that. Playing mildly sneaking for exploring was hugely fun and I think the game had a large amount of design for such gameplay, no way you could do the same in FNV which was much more basic on this design part.

For Skyrim I'll argue that the context doesn't allowed well such type of design of mildly sneaking progression. But clearly Skyrim showed an improvement on the design of open world to structure it and avoid a large arena, moreover the clouds on the global map was an excellent trick. FO3 was using unsuspecting blocking making often the progression from A to B quite more tricky then quite more interesting plus the constant mid sneaking adding also a lot to the progression, on those 2 points Skyrim is less finely designed.

Back
Top Bottom