Sui Generis - Pre-Alpha Gameplay

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bare Mettle has posted a new post-funding update for Sui Generis offering us a look at at some Pre-Alpha gameplay footage.

New Public Video

Somewhat later than promised, here finally is a new public video!

During development it's easy to dismiss many glitches and other issues due to things being unfinished and as you know we are developing all technology in house. As we endeavoured to make this video we became determined to solve every issue we encountered rather than avoiding them or using temporary workarounds. We are after all making a game, not just videos. The game is now very stable, the perfomance is solid and we removed every glitch we could find.

While the game still deserves many tweaks and improvements, and we want to continue improving it almost indefinitely, we feel we've reached a good level of quality and functionality. We've avoided showing some aspects of the game that we don't feel are complete enough yet but we tried to convey the spirit of the game in the video's narrative. Hope you enjoy it!

Despite our efforts the Youtube playback of the video is not very good, you can download a high quality smoother version of the video here:
Direct link: http://sb1.baremettle.com/SuiGenerisPAG.mp4
Torrent (faster): http://cdn1.baremettle.com/SuiGenerisPAG.mp4.torrent
More information.

Last edited:
Gameplay looks awesome. The 3d world and teleporting all over looks very fun. Technically the game is beyond anything ive seen before in any rpg. Will pickup this title in future. Hope it has multiplayer as pvp could be very interesting with its collision physics.

It does indeed look awesome. Personally, I hope it doesn't have multiplayer, as its inclusion almost always detracts from the single-player experience. I don't recall any MP talk when I backed their Kickstarter.

The world looks good, but the combat still looks very awkward. I backed this game on the strength of the physically based combat (which I usually suck at, but I love tech). I get that when you are less skilled you would appear so - but everyone looks like they are drunk, flailing about. Perhaps they have deliberately exaggerated the effect? I certainly hope so. I also hope the camera is not locked to a high angle.

They did show a little zooming in which lowered the camera.

The world looks good, but the combat still looks very awkward. I backed this game on the strength of the physically based combat (which I usually suck at, but I love tech). I get that when you are less skilled you would appear so - but everyone looks like they are drunk, flailing about. Perhaps they have deliberately exaggerated the effect? I certainly hope so. I also hope the camera is not locked to a high angle.

Somehow the running animation bothers me more than the drunken combat. :D

Still no update on what is supposed to be the core of the project, the way the world generates itself?

After reading the update, I could no find a mention of gameplay. They told video. Because there is no gameplay in this video, only showcasing of an engine. As expected for a pre-alpha build.

Apparently, one consequence of all this crowdfunded movement is that people start to equal an engine and gameplay.

Somehow the running animation bothers me more than the drunken combat. :D

Yes, I noticed that too ;-) - like you're gliding across the ground...(maybe it's a power, like blinking ...ahem)

@ChienAboyeur - yes, this does look more like a tech demo, generally a good one too. I am also wondering what will happen to the story/gameplay - I hope this does not simply become a combat simulator. But they are very aware of earlier criticism on this point, so hopefully they have great surprises in store for us.

I didn't see a game either. I just saw an inventory system and awkward combat. Running makes the girl look like one leg is longer than the other. Also the gameworld was very, very sparse. There was nothing distinctive at all, in the video, to make it stand out. They've still got their work cut out for them to make a game rather than an engine.

Well to me that looks awesome. The procedurally generated terrain looks fantastic, the battle animation is just cool to watch, and the mood music sets just the right tone. I like the fact that it doesn't hand-hold you—there are no glowing outlines; finding gear is a matter of looking for it and interacting. What I would like to see though are some non-combat interactions.

As for the minor defects, well presumably it's a WiP. Combat with heavy weapons at arms reach tends to be a little like that. It's hard to stop the momentum of those objects. (But perhaps the guy wielding the pole arm isn't holding it correctly?)

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm a cynical old coot :)

I guess I'm a bit of cynical coot myself, because I only see a very good tech demo and a fun looking combat system, but the gameworld cries more detail (in particular the outdoor locations which are populated, like the castle they were showing us).

Next I'd like to know more about the npc interaction, questing and how they're going to implement the story into gameworld. :)

By the way I don't personally fancy how items don't have any visual glow effect when you hover your mouse cursor over them. Sure it may more realistic not to have any helpfull glow effect, but imo spotting gear can become quite a tedious task in those dark dungeons or imagine when its raining heavily and you try to pinpoint the sword enemy dropped on the ground.

To me, the combat looks more natural and realistic than most games. Not everyone is some sort of instant Sword Master whose every move is poetry. I agree the running looks a bit 'floaty'. It should be more up-and-down or bobbing instead of completely lateral.

Personally, for a 3rd person view I'd prefer an over-the-shoulder camera angle instead of the bird's-eye view from above.

Looking very good.

Beach graphics is awesome, world class. Items graphics is superb. Characters look good. Environments are okay. Object physics - chair, weapons - are surprisingly well done. Teleport effect is nice.

Castle walls and streets look boring with that repetitive material.

Combat is ridiculous. They successfully coded a physics based anim tech, which looks really lame and not cool at all. More like Rag Doll Kung Fu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMZvqgxK3S8

I'm very glad to see how they messed up combat in this video, because they had a chance to make it look cool & realistic.

Maybe if they developed a real-time mocap-sampling and sample remixing tech, that would have taken elements of walking, running, stumbling, falling, toppling and interpolated / mixed them together in a way that looks revolutionary. They didn't = could not.

Makes a really big empty space on the market for an RPG that handles combat movements in a really fun, powerful way, similar to an aggressive action-movie combat dynamics. There are a lot of good, violent asian kung-fu flicks where actors beat the crap out each other in a visually awesome way.

Last edited:
Hm... the interiors of houses remind me strongly of the style they used in the infinity engine games...

Yes, the group seems full of programmers and zero art folks. Everything looks robotic.

Graphics are superb. The combat is interesting, drunken combat for sure, but cool.

I hope there are a large amount of unique, magical items strewn about the land. Finding them will make exploration worthwhile.

That's what they promised in their KS campaign. Hope to hear and see a little more of it in the near future:
  • Non Linear Story. Write your own story. Create your own character and then interact with the world and events as you see fit. Who knows what might happen? It's not written, it's up to you.
  • Reactive characters. Characters and creatures do not have fixed roles. They will react to anything you say or do, how you dress and what tone you set. We're putting the word Character in NPC.
  • Deep character customisation. Don't just choose a class but create your own unique build and develop your own play style. The paths to success are almost limitless.

I had a bad feeling when I backed this that it would end up being nothing more than a tech demo for a fancy combat engine. All their promises regarding story and character and world interaction always felt a bit 'tacked on', an afterthought they never managed to explain properly. So far, they haven't shown anything to change my mind. Wholly unimpressive video.

Back
Top Bottom