Gothic

Only reason I can think of is difficulty, less learning points to advance skills.

Yes, I'd do this also.

I only have the "Gold" variants.

There just wasn't much of a point to play Gothic 2 without NotR once it was released, the add-on made it better in just about every way possible. Besides, you also don't get the full story without NotR.

"A new day, and nothing has changed" is what i woke up to when i decided to take Mutt out on a friendly little hunting excursion. I will never forget the look on Mutt's face as he ran toward me and then finally past me with a Snapper on his tail.

The rest is history.

"A new day, and nothing has changed" - this is said by Guy as he wakes up each morning in his hut next to the one with the little canopy (pc hero's hut)

Mutt? - you mean Mud obviously - Mud can be kept alive till the game ending. ;)

"A new day, and nothing has changed" - this is said by Guy as he wakes up each morning in his hut next to the one with the little canopy (pc hero's hut)

Mutt? - you mean Mud obviously - Mud can be kept alive till the game ending. ;)
That's right Mud, it's been awhile. Another fun trick is to provoke the Orcs standing post just outside the Old camp, and then have them chase you into the old camp, Watching the Diggers scatter is comedy at it's finest.

Madigan that is cruel, those poor diggers and scrapers have nothing to live for but a beer and a bowl of meatbug ragout after toiling for long hours in the mine with no chance of escape, may Innos have mercy on your soul.

A new day, and nothing has changed. I love that quote, it always reminds me of Gothic and the special atmosphere of the game. I actually think of that quote a lot - everytime someone mentions nothing changing or things always being the same.

Ok, so I've had Gothic 2 since about a year after release and tried to play it a few times but only get about an hour into the game each time - combat is difficult and the controls are a bit hard to get used to.

Now the reason I stop playing it doesn't have everything to do with these 2 issues - I usually go back to some game I was in the middle of and forget about it and there was one time my hard drive had to be reformatted and I simply forgot about it completely. But I'm also guessing if the game didn't have these 2 issues (well, mostly the control issue, I prefer difficult combat just that dying a few times got me discouraged) I wouldn't have stopped playing to begin with.

ANYWAY (yeah, there's a point), I reinstalled it recently and plan on playing it after I'm done with Divine Divinity, Drakensang and Titan Quest (which sucked me back in, almost finished I believe).

AM I missing a lot by not having the NoTR expansion? Is it worth it to get the GOLD edition?

Also, I never did play the first game and I keep reading it was a better experience than the 2nd - should I bother picking it up or DLing it and playing it FIRST?

And lastly, didn't pay too much attention to Gothic 3 but did come across a lot of bad reviews... is the game really that terrible?

Thx/Rlyr71

AM I missing a lot by not having the NoTR expansion? Is it worth it to get the GOLD edition?

In a word…Yes.

Just buy a copy of Gothic Universe, it includes Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 gold.

Also, I never did play the first game and I keep reading it was a better experience than the 2nd - should I bother picking it up or DLing it and playing it FIRST?

Some people liked G1 more, some preferred G2. Both games are utterly fantastic, and are among the top ten crpgs ever made imo. It's one continuous story, so playing G1 first is recommended. You'll also understand G2 a lot better if you're familiar with the characters that are introduced in Gothic.

And lastly, didn't pay too much attention to Gothic 3 but did come across a lot of bad reviews… is the game really that terrible?

Not at all… although most Gothic fans agree that the first two games were much better. Those reviews were of the original unpatched release.

Just buy a copy of Gothic Universe, it includes Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 gold.

Cool. And just checked and Amazon has this for $11.25, free shipping!
And it includes all 3 games!

But I'm also guessing if the game didn't have these 2 issues (well, mostly the control issue, I prefer difficult combat just that dying a few times got me discouraged) I wouldn't have stopped playing to begin with.

Thx/Rlyr71

Are you aware that you can select another combat interface in the .ini file? It is a more normal LMB attack. The line is something like use Gothic controls; set it to 0.

Are you aware that you can select another combat interface in the .ini file? It is a more normal LMB attack. The line is something like use Gothic controls; set it to 0.

Didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

Ok, so I've had Gothic 2 since about a year after release and tried to play it a few times but only get about an hour into the game each time - combat is difficult and the controls are a bit hard to get used to.
I Bought Gothic 1 a few months after it came out. I was used to playing infinity eng. games. The interface put a bad taste in my mouth right away. I deinstalled and it sat on the shelf for over a year.

My son decided to give it a try and kept telling me that the interface was perfect once you got used to it. I watched him play for a bit and was so impressed by the game world i decided to take his word for it and give it another try. I discovered that the interface was perfect and the AI was unmatched, in fact some may argue but i still think the AI is unmatched to this day.

Gothic series is my all time favorite, especially 1&2 (with Planescape Torment not to far behind of course.) There is a texture patch mod that will update the game textures for Gothic 1 to a higher resolution, i found that this really helped bring the game closer to date(since i have replayed it a few more times) without changing the atmosphere of the game. I don't recommend any game changing mods that effect playability, this beauty was designed just right the way it is.

I wanted to replay Gothic again. But I could not get it to load correctly on Windows 7. Kind of forgot all about it until I did a little search on Gog and found it on sale for 5 bucks or so; plus it is guaranteed to play on Windows 7. I loaded it today and yes, it plays on Windows 7

I like gothic 1 more.

The first thing you notice is in gothic 2 the same actor is playing everyones voice.

gothic 2 sort of recycles most of the same stuff. It is much larger though.

I never did play this expansion for gothic 2 and I will someday.

I wanted to replay Gothic again. But I could not get it to load correctly on Windows 7. Kind of forgot all about it until I did a little search on Gog and found it on sale for 5 bucks or so; plus it is guaranteed to play on Windows 7. I loaded it today and yes, it plays on Windows 7

can you please share the link!!!

This game is new for me and yet i have not seen its trailer or promo so if any have further information about this game and if any have the trailer then please share it.I need the more information about this game.

Back
Top Bottom