Cradle - Kickstarter Launched

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mojo Game Studios has launched the Kickstarter for their open-world RPG Cradle. The game has a goal of $350,000 with 29 days left to go..

Here is the pitch video and a few more details about the game.

Named one of the top five upcoming games of the year by the Indie DBcommunity, Cradle is an open-world RPG in development by Mojo Game Studios. Currently, the team is completing the pre-development phase and is headed to Kickstarter to fund the next stage of development.

In Cradle players will assume the role of an exiled traveler thrust into the center of a thousand year old conflict between gods. While struggling to restore order in the forsaken lands of Anora, the player will explore rich environments created with CryEngine.

Hank Zwally, President and Founder of Mojo has made immersion a priority in design. The art team has meticulously crafted Cradle’s four open worlds: Bayou, Icelands, Howling Cliffs, and Quarry. These environments illustrate the beautiful relationship between natural and man made artifacts, overlaid with divine influence in subtle and overt ways. These key components will create the immersive gameplay that Mojo seeks to deliver.

Skill based combat, using deterministic animations that harness our RealFight CombatTM system's comprehensive approach on fluid gameplay. Attacks in Cradle are not a stand-in for random number generators, the actual strike of your weapon will determine damage.

Five player classes in combination with an upgrade structure built around the deep backstory of the world provides both replayability and a custom fit to any play style.

In order to replenish health and mana, players will need to understand the intricacies of the flora and fauna of four expansive and distinct environments. Nobody is going to brew your potions for you.

In the tradition of the finest adventure and role playing games, Cradle will reward players for venturing off the beaten path with the discovery of many hidden items, locations, and stories all throughout the game world.
More information.

Did I hear "stories"?
Count me in.

Yeah, this looks really good.

There goes more of my money to a game I won't see for at least a year and a half!

Seems much too similar to Skyrim for my tastes. I really wish more original ideas were put forth by Kickstarter projects.

What's wrong with an open interplanetary RPG set on multiple worlds in space for example? Oh, right, you wouldn't be able to copy/paste pre-existing assets for the 1,001 Sword & Magic titles out there…

Seems much too similar to Skyrim for my tastes. I really wish more original ideas were put forth by Kickstarter projects.

What's wrong with an open interplanetary RPG set on multiple worlds in space for example? Oh, right, you wouldn't be able to copy/paste pre-existing assets for the 1,001 Sword & Magic titles out there…
Well, we are going off the beaten path and trying for a total immersive experience.

Our combat system is quite different than Skyrim and will use deterministic animations and a complex targeting system that reflects your intent. Unlike the Hack'N'Slash approach.

Plus, our environments must be studied, and if they're not... Survival will be unlikely.

while I didnt see the resemblance to ES.. i have to agree, this setting is getting old and fast. Enough with the fantasy crap
I'll ut a reminder for this one. the ideas from the presentation sounded good

though the questions is.. if you are put up against Dark Souls 2.. what do you have to offer? In what aspect do you excel?

@MojoGameStudios - ignore some of these forums "hipsters". Fantasy can never get old!

Not backed yet but closing following your KS. Any chance to see in game character models?

Hopefully they get some coverage from larger \ mainstream sites...I'll be backing this project for sure =).

I like how "full" the world seems, it is lush and seems like it will be fun to explore every cavern and corners out there.

Just a little note, the audio for some of the people talking in the pitch (especially when the lead writer speaks) isn't so great.

I'm intrigued and might back this project later (no money until next week). I agree with Galaad about the voices. The music sometimes is too loud to hear the voices properly.

They have some good ideas, but I'm very skeptical of this one. It's an extremely ambitious project (all open world RPGs are) and $350K is not very much money to fund development of a game over the next 2 years (Consider that HBS and Double Fine ran out of money on their projects and that was having some team members with a great deal of experience). The Mojo development team looks really young (I'm guessing they're just finishing college) and making such an ambitious game for their first title means they're likely to run into their fair share of problems. I just have this feeling that they've either grossly underestimated how much it will cost to make the game, or that this is a case of asking for what they think they can get rather than what they actually need.

Also, their early bird tier for a digital copy of the game is almost twice as much as a lot of unlimited digital copy tiers from far more experienced developers (Obisidan's Project Eternity had $15). Sure, $25 is still a great deal if this game actually delivers, but when you're asking someone to give you money for a game made by a totally unknown developer that won't be released for a couple of years, it's too much. Too risky IMO. Good luck though.

daveyd, read their bios. Seems most if not all of them are college students. Might explain both their ambition and their ability to invest a lot of hours without much pay :)

I don't really get the complaints about fantasy being worn out. Mass Effect series? Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas? Wasteland 2, out soon? Zombie games? Anyway, seems they have some good ideas, and the production values in their promo vid are impressive, though I couldn't tell much about what they're working on other than they have some talented artists.

I'm keeping an eye on it, but must have much more information before I would donate. CryEngine looks nice, but I need more than artist-y stuff. The post from the dev makes it sound like a combat-focused game, which will be a definite miss for me. I am definitely looking for more Skyrim, so emulating Bethesda is a wonderful idea.

If they just made a game about the size of Falkreath Hold in Skyrim and filled it up with lots of locations and made each NPC a deep character; even if there are few actual NPCs, this would be an awesome thing. I'd love to see a game that just revolves around a small town or hold. The main character would be seeking to make a name for her/himself in the area and perhaps settling in the area. I also think the smaller/deeper world could be done quicker and for less money.

We realize this is an ambitious project and we've gone through a lot of processes to be where we are today, and our best bet is to bank on the least amount we need and hope for more!

Unlike big developers or industry veterans, it's all new to us. We have no contacts, we have to start everything on the bottom, and our only way to move forward is completely Indie and with little resources.

We aren't making this game for payment, we're making it based on passion, and a vision we strive to fulfill.

Our whole team has different responsibilities and we all work or are students, but all team members share the drive.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

And as always thank you RPGwatch for featuring us on your site!

And as always thank you RPGwatch for featuring us on your site!
Your welcome.;)

I do have one suggestion though lower the music in some parts of the pitch video. It was hard to hear the person talking.^^

I really enjoyed the environment and setting, even if shiny deer antlers are a little questionable. Good to see young artists stepping up as well, just hoping they aren't aiming too big too early.

Yes, it's interesting, but I'm waiting for some more information on gameplay too.

Back
Top Bottom