Skyrim Poll: Morrowind vs Skyrim to the death

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Morrowind vs. Skyrim: which is better?

• Morrowind 4 Life (even if it needs a texture pack!)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Move over old-timer, Skyrim is better

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
Ok, I'm throwing down the gauntlet here. It needs to be done, I'm genuinely curious who would win in a battle to the death.

Morrowind or Skyrim!

edit: I forgot the length of the poll, and it doesnt look like there's anyway i can get in there and change it now. Could a kind admin make the poll available for one month, plz??

I'll pick Skyrim of course it's the only Elder Scroll game I every enjoyed and finished.

While I prefer the mechanics and game play of Morrowind, Skyrim wins for overall mix of mechanics, graphics, and most of all - setting. If it wasn't the Skyrim setting Morrowind might win but I am a HUGE fan of Norse mythology and lore and Skyrim and the Nords are like a gamers dream come true for me - especially with mods. I have made 4 custom mods now to add more "Norse" like themes to the game.

EDIT: But Bloodmoon wins for my favorite expansion/DLC ever so far.

No contest for me it's skyrim.

Morrowind was good but I grew bored with it around 40-50 hours. I have 355 and counting in skyrim and still not bored.

The difference is the number of mods for skyrim. Head to head vanilla skyrim still edges morrowind but not by nearly as much.

Picking between Elder Scrolls games is like picking which child is your favorite. I love them all :)

Last edited:
Morrowind has never left my computer over the years, with the texture packs it's going to stay on for years to come no doubt, so it has to get my vote, I just love the mysterious setting of the game.

Both are excellent games. Of course everyone knows that the best Elderscrolls game is Daggerfall :)

Picking between Elder Scrolls games is like picking which child is your favorite. I love them all :)

Well, sort of. Oblivion is that loser kid that gets in with the wrong crowd, screws up like crazy, you try to forgive and understand and then he lies, cheats and steals from you anyway.

You suck, Oblivion. Get out of my life. And stay away from your siblings Morrowind and Skyrim, they're GOOD kids and I love them dearly!

So, yeah, picking between Morrowind and Skyrim is tough. Tougher still since I got Skyrim the day of release, put about 30 hours into it, stopped playing due to lack of time, got back into it a few months ago and started over but still only about 40 hours in. So I totally love the game but haven't seen even 1/2 of its content, whereas I played Morrowind for about 200 hours and it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

I personally think Oblivion is just as good as either Skyrim or Morrowind. Fantastic game.

That said, I still can't choose a favorite. I've spent countless hours with all 3 of them, and they all have great aspects that I really enjoy.

I don't think it's merely nostalgia that says Morrowind is just as good as Skyrim, though. I fired up Morrowind not too long ago and still think it's a great game with a ton of playability. I wouldn't mind spending another hundred hours or more in Morrowind just as I wouldn't mind spending it in Oblivion or Skyrim. Truly great games.

Oblivion is worst of those 3 but I really liked Knights of nine instances with lite puzzles and I am sorry that there are no such dungeons in Skyrim,also Shivering isles is very good,skyrim still doesn't have expansion/dlc of that quality.

I don't see what people's problem is with Oblivion. I just spent 200+ hours a few months ago playing through just a fraction of the available content, and it was a fantastic, immersive experience. Exploring through the beautiful terrain of Cyrodiil was truly a joy to do.

Yes, bandits sometimes wear too high level armor (even though this has been exaggerated to some extent), and yes, the game got more challenging the more you leveled up, but in terms of the overall experience, the elements in the game worked really well. The game stayed challenging for all 200+ hours rather than becoming a pushover, but you still felt powerful. The loot was amazing. Exploring caves and ruins, each with their own hand-crafted layout was brilliant. Yeah, it was a great game.

I think you guys need to go back and actually play the game again for awhile. Once you experience it again I think your opinions will change.

Morrowind is better RPG and better exploration game.
Skyrim has better action aspect of combat representation and better graphics, which is not enough to make it a better game in my book.
That said, after mediocre Fallout 3 and mediocre-at-best Oblivion, Skyrim is a significant step up and overall a worthy successor of Morrowind.

Yes, bandits sometimes wear too high level armor (even though this has been exaggerated to some extent), and yes, the game got more challenging the more you leveled up, but in terms of the overall experience, the elements in the game worked really well. The game stayed challenging for all 200+ hours rather than becoming a pushover, but you still felt powerful. The loot was amazing. Exploring caves and ruins, each with their own hand-crafted layout was brilliant. Yeah, it was a great game.
:lol:

The main difference between Morrowind and Skyrim is that Skyrim is not boring.

Morrowind is better RPG and better exploration game.
Skyrim has better action aspect of combat representation and better graphics, which is not enough to make it a better game in my book.

I think that pretty much sums it up. I played MW the other day, and there is just something about it. The world has a lot to do with it, instead of your typical fantasy forest its almost an alien landscape, dotted w/ tons of cool shit. Also the landscape change that occurs when you solve the blightstorm issue is one of the things I love about the game, once that clears and I'm traveling around in the now clear area - it just feels good. All the crappy little villages have their characters.

Lets not forget the Tribunal, and the palace of Vivec.

+1 for Morrowind :) I have put 200 hours into Skyrim, and probably a bit more than that into MW over the years. A large chunk of those 200 hours was the desperate quest for something new and exciting…which had kind of evaporated after about 30-40 hours in Skyrim. I didn't see this uniqueness that others refer to: what I saw were an embarrassment of fetch quests (with no directions other than map marker to which I could insta-travel…and my god, why would you not?!) to caves and places I had already visited, now mysteriously populated with randomly scripted villain X. Oh my, how …Radiant. That said, it's not cut-and-dried - I did still get my $'s worth from Skyrim and enjoyed the first 60 hours or so. But in terms of setting and story (which matters most to me) MW is just better in imho. In MW pacing was not problem, the threat was not imminent … in Skyrim the world was ending and yet you could fart about ignoring the main story for as long as you wished. So much for dramatic tension (yes, I know its hard to do in this kind of open game, but in MW it made sense). I also did not appreciate their changes to the stats and the poor UI they implemented for PCs.

Back
Top Bottom