Valkyria Chronicles - Coming to PC

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Sega has confirmed via Twitter that the original Valkyria Chronicles is coming to the PC. "Gallia, to arms! Return to the original battle on PC. More info coming soon..."

valkyria-chronicles-2.jpg

More information.

More information.

Another benefit of Steam is that a lot of console games are getting pc editions. I have to say I loved Septerra Core, and have enjoyed some Indie Jrpgs like Cthulu Must Die!, but was really disappointed by The Last Remanant and Anachranox. I'd really like to give another JRPG a chance, but don't wasn't 1,000,000 cut scenes and would like understandable, but deep mechanics and rewarding combat. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd be thankful.

edit:I can handle cartoony graphics, so long as they aren't too fluffy, and don't like play groups of young children.

I'd really like to give another JRPG a chance, but don't wasn't 1,000,000 cut scenes and would like understandable, but deep mechanics and rewarding combat. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd be thankful.

Have you ever tried Valkyria Chronicles? :)

It's set on an alternate Earth during WWII, and you're in charge of a squad fighting off that world's equivalent of a German invasion. The game's combat mechanics are rather ingenious but still simple and straightforward. You get to know each member of your squad intimately, their strengths and weaknesses, and you're still pressed to use them in the best way possible given your tactics and the objective of each battle. It's a lovely combination of on-the-ground wargaming, rich story, and well-designed combat. ^.^

I sort of think of it as a 3d final fantasy tactics, excellent storyline and tough battles kept me busy for awhile. its a shame the sequel ended up on a handheld, but perhaps there will be hope for that too.

Have you ever tried Valkyria Chronicles? :)

It's set on an alternate Earth during WWII, and you're in charge of a squad fighting off that world's equivalent of a German invasion. The game's combat mechanics are rather ingenious but still simple and straightforward. You get to know each member of your squad intimately, their strengths and weaknesses, and you're still pressed to use them in the best way possible given your tactics and the objective of each battle. It's a lovely combination of on-the-ground wargaming, rich story, and well-designed combat. ^.^

No I haven't. I've been eyeing Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky as well. Which would you recommend more?

No I haven't. I've been eyeing Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky as well. Which would you recommend more?

Ooo…ouch. That's tough. I haven't gotten to play any more than a few minutes of Legend of Heroes yet, but I've played Valkyria Chronicles extensively, so I'm probably gonna sound a little biased. I felt like VC was a lot richer in terms of content and detail and just being generally better put together and more polished. And since you said you wanted a good, meaty combat system you could sink your teeth into, I might suggest Valkyria Chronicles to you for that as well.

Unfortunately, so far it's only available on PS3…until we hear more news of its upcoming PC port…:-/

VC is a fantastic game and quite challenging. And its cell-shaded look will look quite nice on big monitors. I played Trails in the Sky on PSP and VC is a much stronger game in my opinion. It's probably one of the best PS3 games in that library and something any lover of modern strategy RPGs will enjoy. Hopefully there's a demo as the combat can take some getting used to, but once you do it's really a lot of fun and the story is not toooo Jrpg-ish, so will appeal to some PC gamers for sure.

Now THAT i didn't expect.
I actually have the ps3 edition and i still have not played it.
Let's hope it is a good port.

Another JRPG win for Steam. I played the original on the PS3, and the sequel on the PSP a few year back, and I would love to play them on the PC also.

So thank you for the news-bit Aubrielle.:handshake:

Why make a port of an excellent albeit obscure game five years later? This is outright bizarre. Although Sega's recent PC ports have been quite good.

We're talking about a company that does not even deign localizing anything that isn't Sonic or a shooter in the Western world anymore. I'm never going to know the end of the Yakuza series thank to them.

Why make a port of an excellent albeit obscure game five years later? This is outright bizarre. Although Sega's recent PC ports have been quite good.

We're talking about a company that does not even deign localizing anything that isn't Sonic or a shooter in the Western world anymore. I'm never going to know the end of the Yakuza series thank to them.

Because Steam is the hottest thing right now, active users keep growing, and there is money to be made reviving old titles. Steam popularity grew leaps and bounds just in the last year, and it doesn't look like it is slowing down.

Steam = Revival of the PC, and it may single-handedly destroy consoles.

Hopefully it comes with a reasonable price tag like $10 but I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Also I think the original is by far the best. With the other instalments Sega has ruined it by shoehorning it into a portable platform, and by inserting moe elements and character designs.

I remember pictures of the anime where the guards on the initial stage were children, whereas in the game they are adult men.

I think it is better to consider this as a single game and the rest of the games as non-canon, because Sega ended up running this into the ground real fast.

Because Steam is the hottest thing right now, active users keep growing, and there is money to be made reviving old titles.

i really think it would be a great idea to make ALL games EVER created available.
remade with modern technics!

Because people asked for it. There is a campaign on neogaf to get Sega to port its greatest classics to PC. Vanquish and Bayonetta could be next.

I am not much into console games, but VC is a masterpiece. The story, the music, the game mechanics (the BLITZ system is a brilliant idea)... I got a Playstation for that game, never regretted. Hopefully the entire series will get to PC and, who knows, maybe they will start talking about VC 4?

I loved this game in my PS3 (though I never finished it), so very totally recommended.

Back
Top Bottom