Wave of Darkness - 15% Funded Update

Thanks for the detailed response. I think this kind of transparency and frankness is what's needed for Kickstarters.

This makes more sense to me. In this case, the Kickstarter is not strictly essential, as you would carry on to Steam sales without it, but it's still very helpful to your small studio. It is probably best understood as being part and parcel of the early-access sales drive and promotion, and that these early sales will fund the final completion of the game.

I guess it is open to the criticism of paying to beta test, but you've explained what you're doing and the difficulties of small indie development. I now understand the way in which I would be supporting you if I backed the project. I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the detailed response. I think this kind of transparency and frankness is what's needed for Kickstarters.

This makes more sense to me. In this case, the Kickstarter is not strictly essential, as you would carry on to Steam sales without it, but it's still very helpful to your small studio. It is probably best understood as being part and parcel of the early-access sales drive and promotion, and that these early sales will fund the final completion of the game.

I guess it is open to the criticism of paying to beta test, but you've explained what you're doing and the difficulties of small indie development. I now understand the way in which I would be supporting you if I backed the project. I wish you all the best.

True, but...

Kickstarter would be a huge, a crucial step forward for us because of the budget we'd get and the massive marketing element crowdfunding generates.

So, let's not fool ourselves and everyone else with the assumption that Kickstarter isn't "that" important to us. It is. It's crucial.

And we need any kind of help we can get. From a simple shout-out, a forum post, a Tweet, all to the backing our project on Kickstarter.

Kickstarter would be a huge, a crucial step forward for us because of the budget we'd get and the massive marketing element crowdfunding generates.

So, let's not fool ourselves and everyone else with the assumption that Kickstarter isn't "that" important to us. It is. It's crucial.

Sure, I get that the Kickstarter campaign, particularly in terms of publicity, may well be crucial. But I'm not making assumptions. You said:

What happens if we do not reach KS target? We’ll be slowed down but the development will continue and we will put it on Early Access.

If the project can continue without those funds, albeit slowed down, surely those funds cannot be called crucial?

Sheshhh Ripper, you don't work for a tax & customs by any chance? :)

Sheshhh Ripper, you don't work for a tax & customs by any chance? :)

Fuck no.

The thing about Kickstsrter, is that it is fundamentally a bad bet for the backer. You give money for something that is not finished, with no way of judging the quality, and if the product is never delivered at all, you have no recourse.

That's not to say that Kickstarter is a bad thing - if a solid studio makes a really compelling pitch, for the sort of game you really want, and you know that your funding is the only way the game can be made, then you might be prepared to make that bet.

If that's not the case, then it changes the calculation, to me anyway. If I know that product will most likely be shipped anyway, I'm much less inclined to take the risk. I'll wait to see the finished product, and buy it or not on normal terms.

Now, if the studio is completely honest and transparent, and says "it's not really a back it or bust proposition, but we could really use your support", then I can appreciate that, and it might affect my decision positively.

I thought I knew where we were with this one, but then Iggy seemed to contradict what I'd understood.

Last edited:
All right. Let's go with your way.

Kickstarter funding for an indie studio from Croatia is actually quite irrelevant.

:thumbsup:

That's hardly what I'm saying, and I'm not just trying to get "my way". This is dodging the question with sarcasm. Of course the Kickstarter funding is "relevant", but that doesn't mean it's crucial - meaning that without it the project cannot be completed. I've explained my reasoning as to why that difference is significant to me.

I will post a news-bit later Iggy as I didn't forget about your latest update.^^

Back
Top Bottom