Skyrim Who Took Off Work Today?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
T

Toff

I can't .... so I'll sit here at work all day and read about everyone elses adventures.

I'm not even gonna pick up the game till the end of Nov as I'm camping this weekend then I took a ton of vacation time off work to go home and visit all the relatives.

*sigh*

Wow. I admire your restraint. I took off work through next Tuesday. So I have all day today (Friday), the weekend, and 2 whole days to get immersed! Then just 2 more days after that till another weekend and the next Skyrim lockdown!!!!

Not me. So here I am sitting at work, waiting to get off work (2.5 hours to go still). Then I have an hour or so of commuting back home (buying the game on the way), then Lord knows how many hours of installing and wrangling with Steam and downloading the 1.1 patch (their servers are most likely under quite a lot of stress, what with the forum hacking and all). Hopefully I'll get 2-4 hours with Skyrim before I have to hit the sack, as I have the morning shift tomorrow (no all-nighters for me anymore, too old for that). So, it'll be Saturday evening before I'll get any serious gaming time with Skyrim. Ooh, woe is me!

Ohh I miss the days when I could do this. If I did it now, I'd find a 'Honey do' list a mile long.

Got two kids and a wife. It would not be advisable to use vacation time on such a silly thing as a game. The all-nighters are also a thing only mentioned in age old legends I'm afraid. The scarifies one must endure.....

I'm burdened with an excess of this terrible thing called professionalism, so no skipping work for me. :p

I don't know ... isn't a vacation meant to be ... well a vacation? As in an escape to do something fun and relaxing? Course I also don't have a wife and kids :)

But for me I don't feel that time-off should be spent galavanting around the globe, bungy-jumping, or one constant social event visiting friends and family. I can't think of a better way to spend a long weekend (I have the day-off since its a US holiday) then relaxing with a new game. Find it a bit more interactive than a week end drinking beer sitting on a couch watching sports all day.

Course spending 72 hours doing nothing but sleeping and gaming ... thats a bit much. Balance in all things.

Still, glad I can still get excited enough over a game to want to look forward to a weekend of gaming!

I didn't take off today, but I took off all next week. First half is for Skyrim, the second half to visit family in northern Indiana (Valapraiso).

I didn't but it looks like I have to deal with this first when I get home

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

Didn't take the day off but I worked extra earlier in the week so I could go home early.

I did take the whole week of Thanksgiving off and I plan to spend a lot of time Skyrimming then!

Tracking Information:
Ship Carrier: UPS
Tracking ID: 1Z...
Latest Event: My Town
Out for delivery - November 11, 2011 8:35:00 AM

yes!

The only way I would intentially take off work or go on a week long vacation was if Troika got back together and released ANYTHING, if Sir Tech got back together and make a new blobby, if the creators of Starflight got back together and released a new Starflight or Sierra got back together and released another Quest for Glory.

Anything else could wait till I had the time. I wouldn't even take work off for Witcher 2. Sorry to say that, but it's a good game, just not good enough for me to lose out on my perfect attendance bonus. They give me a good reason to get that perfect attendance bonus. It's a nice chunk of change.

So no, Skyrim won't tempt me to take any days off even if it could. I expect I will like it, but not as much as any of those games I mentioned previously.

Last edited:
You don't get paid vacation, Skaven? I mean I wouldn't take off unpaid, but I get 4 weeks paid vacation, that I have a hard time using. I get 4 sick days and two personal time off days too, so it all adds up to a ton of free time. I think this is fairly normal in corporate America.

I get half a days paid leave for up to ten days a year. Half of those days are take automaically because of Chinese New Year. So in essence I have five half days paid leave. If I take a day off I lose out on my monthly bonus for that month and then I lose out on my three month attendance bonus which is rather large.

If I take even one sick day I lose a lot of money. A lot to me that is. So I go to work sick, and don't take any of the vacations they give me. They reimburse me for any vacations I have left over.

Sneaky way to keep the teachers in the class, but I don't blame them in the least. A lot of these foreign teachers are here to day and gone tomorrow types who have no interest in the long haul. The "typhical white guy sterotype" over here and I hate every last one of these assholes. They give all foreigners in general a bad rap because of these idiots.

If it's for something really important like a doctor's visit or Mom flying in from Cali then of course I'll take the day off and get that done, but anything else…well I'm pretty much stuck.

A True sequel to MOO2 and I would take the laptop to my brothers cottage by the lake with a singel malt for company, leaving wife and daughters at home.

As others have stated, all nighters are a thing of the past, though sometimes it gets later than intended...

Since I never managed to finish Oblivion and never got more than a couple of hours into Fallout 3 I haven't really fallen for the hype machine, but I'm mildly interested.

C

As I guessed, the Steam servers are absolutely slammed. I'm getting an average download rate of less than 30kb/s (when it's usually well in the 500kb/s+) and frequent drops to 0kb/s. It's sort of hilarious (in a sarcastic way) as I only had about 20MB of download to go when it stalled completely. So here I am, hanging around on these forums waiting for the servers to gasp for more air and give me my last 20MB of data (of the 5,735.4MB total).

Dum-de-dum… No rush Steam, no rush. What's a few hours more, eh? But wait… What is this, it seems the servers are trying to get back on their feet… aww, but no luck, they're still down for the count (d/l suspended). So close. C'mon just a teeny bit of data, gimme my 20MB! What? Yeah, I'll wait… Dum-de-dum…

Is there a big on-install download? Boo!
It's not that big (maybe few hundred MB), but as the damn servers are so busy, it's taking forever. I'm getting nothing at the moment. It's been like this almost an hour, The first 150MB or so went like a breeze, but then I seem to have hit a brick wall…

Back
Top Bottom