Dragon Age 2 - Demo Tidbits

Oh come you can tell from a demo that the whole story is not written to the standard of say Two worlds 2.

I have more faith in Bioware than that, frankly. One thing Bioware have always done well is story.

Plus I didn't think Two Worlds 2 had that bad of a story. Nothing special, but nothing horrible either. The sarcastic jackass main character is pretty funny actually.

I have more faith in Bioware than that, frankly. One thing Bioware have always done well is story.

Plus I didn't think Two Worlds 2 had that bad of a story. Nothing special, but nothing horrible either. The sarcastic jackass main character is pretty funny actually.

I was being a bit sarcastic, doesn't translate well to computers.

Dialogue wheel: I liked it - a lot. Clear and structured choices. And it was logical what I said. And no, I didn't feel disconnected with my character at all. Whether or not this has something to with me playing adventure games (like Syberia and Post Mortem), I don't know, but the thing is that in these game the main character (me) always speaks.
Agree overall but with a comment. The potential problem of this system are:
  • First, not sure why but first time I played the demo I never seen the left dialog options but a single one. I think this organization is perverse. Yeah I'll get used to take care of left too but I bet in hurry to know fast something or to play a next fight or something, I'll go too fast and won't notice few left isolate dialog options.
  • The second problem of the system is the challenge it is for dialog writers to successfully explain in very few word what the dialog option is. This system is a call for many little design flaws and players misunderstanding.
That said with the standard system with full sentences, first it won't be as good with main hero voice acting, second it also generates misunderstanding. Sometimes when you have plenty very long sentences to read it ends be not that clear and tedious to read all carefully, it becomes then a typical bad reading.

On another, yet related note:
One or two threads at the Bioware forums for this game (da2) has been made where people have stated they they didn't know they could level up in this game.
Bioware better start telling the Call of Duty etc. players that - or they will quit after maybe 1 hour or so.
Well after few minutes there's a panel that popup and say, "hey player, one character has level up, press escape and choose level up option".

What you want more? That before the demo begins, a full screen panel with "WARNING WARNING THIS GAMES INCLUDES LEVEL UP"? :)

Let few COD players be tricked by their absurdity, after all they tricked me buy COD4 and I played it one hour.

The Rogue isn't a Rogue anymore, it seems. She (or he) is sort of a Ninja-character that now does backstabbing from 30 feet (10 m) away; I really don't know hat happened to the whole idea of moving silently and killing the enemy…
Correction the rogue isn't the rogue cliché anymore, but it's not really a ninja cliché either, there's multiple trees with the Rogue and I haven't tried them all, not to mention that some are blocked, perhaps there's a more sneaky talent?

They had a challenge because ton of complain was that Rogues was too much like warrior, and worse that 2W warriors was the same. They had to design something that feel very different without to have the full range of classical RPG through many general actions. The point is also many many players including me complained that some of necessary rogue skills was forcing to use a Rogue in your team. the burden of party with only 4 characters.

Clearly DAO wasn't a fully fledged RPG and DAO2 won't be better and perhaps a bit less with disappearance of skills even if it's with quite more talents, it's a focus increase on fights.

The combat (again):
Combat feels faster definetely. So fast actually that a dec. (stanley woo from the qa team) responded to maria caliban in a thread on the bsn forums about 2H combat. Here's the thread:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6182904&lf=8
Impressive that, from the short contents of the demo and with no difficulty setup, this fan can analyze so deeply 2H fights in DAO2 and with comparison with other classes.

I see that there's a Bioware QA that seems confirm, but for me in the demo 2H was the easiest. And in DAO1 I remember many comments quite similar about 2H but when you dig them, for example two 2H in a party was amazingly powerful and making the game quite easy.

While Woo is not directly addressing the quickness of the combat, he is talking about the QA testing of the combat. And it seems that Bioware slowed it down a bit and bu this I mean, they slowed the combat animations down a bit - or lot. This, however, remains, to bee seen in the full game.
After to have played all classes I agree, because of the Rogue class. The problem is many players complained in DAO2 about the 2H warrior being too slow. I totally disagree but slow down animations will be very cool for the Rogue, but for the 2H it will bring it back to DAO1 or break balances by making 2H almost as fast than Rogue.

I am afraid they didn't realized that a handful of players was playing with no tactics at all and full control of all members of the party with ton of pauses.

Alas the speed of Rogue could be the end of such gameplay choice, not sure as myself it's just impossible even in DAO1. But that also mean they don't have the clue to realize that the Rogue speed is a problem.

To make it clear, it's not really the has fast is a rogue attack, as soon as it's automatic or the time involved is as long, it's ok. The problem is few rogues skills have a very low cooldown putting an insane pressure on players that want control all with tactics help.
As for the difficulty:

I found the difficulty on normal setting hard and difficult. I died many times, especially when defeating the second Ogre. The problem was not the Ogre, but the darkspawn surrounding me. Another problem was that when I clicked on the icons to use healing, stamina or lyrium potions, it didn't work.
The problem is that there's only this fight that involved challenges. I hope increasing difficulty level and the full game will be more challenging more often.

and the keyword here seems to be heroic.

Um. There appear to exist different definitions of what's "heroic".

TDE - or more exactly, Aventuria - is also supposed to be a "heroic" fantasy setting.

But - you don't see that much of it. Not in the current games.
Yes, you are suppoosed to do it the good way, but there isn't something that I's really call "heroic" in a sort of traditional sense … (Whatever this might be …)

And then there's also the defjnition of superheroes = "heroic". Now, that has been more or less destroyed completely (sorry for my grammar), for example witb the "Dark Knight" and the recent interpretations of the famous superhero comics …

There seem to exist different definitions of how being "heroic" cinstitutes in what kind of environment … And in Dragon Age, yes, you do see the glimpse of heroism by being the very last Grey Warden, having to assemble a new party and so on … But all in all …

I think, the mistake they do with at least Dragon Age 1 - and now with Dragon Age 2 is an imho far-too-simple schematics :

The darker the world
the more shiny (and outstanding) the hero.

But - in Dragon Age I only see blood and gore, but no heroism. No epic tales. No "Lichtgestalt" (no "light figure"), so to say. The hero - the player's character - is nothing but a single person among other persons striving for survival. I don't see that much heroic deeds in that constant slaughtering of blight-enemies - not especially since you can do an "evil path", too …

I think they'll try to change that with Dragon Age 2 - hence the "Champion" thing - but even the very last part of the demo didn't show me a true "hero" … But rather a refugee stranded in an shady environment …

And - by the way - the German-language demo has I think 4 times very prominently put before the player the slogan of "rise to power by all means !" ("Der Aufstieg der Macht mit allen Mitteln !") - This doesn't sound like a hero as well - in my ears, this sounds rather ruthless and power-obsessed … Power (or rather, the rise towards it) stands in the foreground … and NOT some heroic deeds like helping old grandmas over the road …

Edit : What is 2H ? I only know H2O ...

2H=2-Handed. I've played through as all of the classes except sword&shield and agreed with maria's comments about the 2-handed warrior as weak compared to other classes. I thought mage was hands down best once firestorm and cone of cold are available which is no surprise really. The archer was pretty strong with hail of arrows and explosive arrow.

Regarding the story presented, it was a little cliche but didn't really expect much else from the demo. The Champion really didn't show champion qualities per se but then we only really played 2 missions. No hints of political games like crowning the new ruler or demons evading through the fade which were the more memorable moments for me from the previous game.

Not sure it worth answer to a casual player but well. ;)

But - in Dragon Age I only see blood and gore, but no heroism. No epic tales.
….
Mmmm in term of effect, I do agree. I didn't felt DAO1 ordinary but didn't felt it too like very heroic.

For the blood and gore well it's details and not story so I agree it can't have any influence on the heroic mood of a story.

But what CRPG had an heroic mood? And why?

Good question. I don't think this was used this far, as an underlying premise.

Good question. I don't think this was used this far, as an underlying premise.

I have the vague remembering of a CRPG I was using as an example of truly Heroic. But I can't remember which one. One "easy" answer would be MoTB because of the struggle with gods, but I don't think it's this one I was using.

"Tainted by the Preview" and "Fan Hater"

What a convenient way to deflect and dismiss criticism…

Tell me, what is the point of a demo? Is it meant to demonstrate certain features/aspects of a game or something else entirely? Who is fan hating and who is fan projecting(assuming others are fans and should love everything Bioware)? I don't think I came across as hating, or is anything other than ecstatic praise now hate?

At this point, I'm going to wait for the game to be released and gauge the reactions from the greater community(reviews from this site and Brother None if he puts one together)… From what I've seen DA2 just isn't my cup of tea, exploding darkspawn and all. :shrug:

aries100 said:
happened to sneaking and then streaking - silently?

Actually I think sneaking and then streaking is exactly what they are going to do... for extra mass appeal. Sneaking and striking however.... well that's not going to happen.

Something interesting that I noticed on my demo playthrough:
BOOBS

So...every woman in Ferelden is some kind of Amazon/Pr0nstar hybrid?

[sarcasm]Can't WAIT for the bouncing boobs mod to hit the interwebs...[/sarcasm]

On a side note, I actually didn't mind much of the combat. It's much, much faster, but having deployed to combat before, I get the chaos. Somehow, it just fits that there are just some things you aren't going to be able to control because everything is just too fast. Totally personal preference.

Hawke's voice overs just kill me. I really hope that the VA for the demo was a one take and done thing. Hoping for a little more polish.

This game is going to LOOK beautiful through DX11.

Back
Top Bottom