• Yes, once or twice - really liked it

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Yes, I've played Dungeons and Dragons only

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Yes, I've played D&D and other RPGs

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Yes, I've played RPGs but never D&D

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Yes, I've played all kinds of PnP RPGs and I love them.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • What in the world are you talking about?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I played D&D for a few years starting in 1974. There were about 10 of us, and we would get together at each other's homes on the weekend or go to Caltech and play (A few members of their computer club had come up with their own system of rules and hosted games on Friday nights). Some of us did other stuff together, too, like SCA and The Renaissance Faire (we danced and sang at ale stands).

Eventually, I went my own way and lost track of those friends (sigh). I didn't play another RPG until I got an original Sega console and then my first PC (386) a year later.

In 1981 I did some after-school work for an indie publisher nearby. The business ran out of an old house and they distributed travel and new-age books (stuff on herbalism, home births and so on). They dabbled in other categories and the owner sometimes asked me to read stuff aimed at my age group. One day he was considering some D&D -related books (not the TSR rulebooks - third party stuff) and gave them to me along with a module he'd bought locally (The Village of Hommlet)...I'd never heard of D&D before and was instantly hooked. All through school my friends and I played at every opportunity, eventually causing D&D to be banned at my school.

We dabbled with others such as Traveller and Warhammer but always came back to D&D. Eventually, work split up our group and I never got around to playing again.

I have the anniversary edition. It comes in a nice tin, hinged box, and it's a pretty good collector's item. The new rules are easy (as always with TnT) and pretty well written. It also comes with a book of monsters and magic, some six-sided dice, and a book of alternate rules. Also included are a lot of card-stock tokens that you can punch to use as play-aids in place of miniatures. There are adventurer, and monster tokens. And a CD is included with character sheets, and adventure PDFs. It's a pretty good deal for $25.

Keep in mind though, that if you get it, don't expect a full-sized 8.5X11 inch box and books. This set is small, about 7X4 inches.

If you want to get it go to:

30th Anniversary TnT

narpet

Almost forgot... the 30th Anniversary Edition Cd also includes the one and only T&T pc game. It's actually not a bad game for its time... a nice piece of nostalgia.

I think I started with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, then move on to AD&D 2E. That was may mainstay for many years however I then found Shadowrun which I loved and then I played Delta Green for a while (based in the Cthulu universe). The last one I really got into was D&D 3E. I had too much knowledge of the Realms to leave them behind. :biggrin:

Sadly I don't really get a chance to play now because of my job but I still occasionally pick the books up and come up with character concepts. These PnP games do influence my choice of cRPG's hence why I'm weeping at the new Shadowrun game :'(

Back
Top Bottom