KoA: Reckoning - The beauty of Kingdoms of Amalur

Google "RPG grinding" and see what comes up. There's an official (and I use that term loosely) definition.

Anyways, I'm not arguing about the combat in Wiz 8. It's definitely a drawn-out affair most of the time. I just didn't find the game to be grindy in general.

The first wiki link I clicked describes grinding as engaging in repetitive tasks, basically. That's pretty broad - if you ask me.

When I'm talking about "grindy combat" - I'm talking about the level of repetition I encounter during combat, really.

While it's obviously true that you engage in repetition for a reason (as you wouldn't be doing it otherwise) - I don't think "grinding" is an easy thing to define for the majority. Well, not if it's to be of much use for communicating our positions.

I really think people have very different concepts of it - and it's obviously about what kind of activity they enjoy, and what tolerance they have for repetition. Also, a "repetitive" task to one person will be quite enjoyable to another person.

Beyond that, the "goal" accomplished through those repetitive tasks will have a wildly different appeal to different people. Some people really LOVE accomplishing stuff - even if it's minor. I guess we could call that some form of OCD :)

Other people prefer the "goal" to be significant and something tangible.

I don't think there's any way to establish with certainty how "the majority" views grinding.

But we don't have to agree about that.

As for Wiz 8 - I understand that a lot of people really love it - and they either love the combat or don't mind it that much. That's fair, and sort of proves what I'm trying to say.

We just like different things in different ways, and it's all good.

Sure. I was just pointing out that there's a general concept that's been around for awhile.

As far as who enjoys what, I completely agree that taste differ. I never understood how so many people enjoyed the early MMOs that seemed to be nothing but a contest of who could grind the most, but tons of people loved them for whatever reason.

I got a similar feel from KoA in the short amount of time I spent with it. I've been meaning to try it again with mods, but who knows if I'll ever get around to it.

Is it like the Heartcore mod where you have to run it in the background every time you play KoA?

Yeah it is, it's the former Heartcore mod further developed actually.
But for the slight hassle of firing it up every time you play, the game is hugely improved by it IMO, and there are other options to select with the mod as well if you want to really contour the difficulty of the game.

Here's a link to the info-https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/BSlA2-1l6R/YSA_Youngneils_amalur_mod.docx

Back
Top Bottom