Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony, Game Footage, Music, Movies, etc.

Wrong comparison. Assange didn't steal anything from any country and he's just a spokeman for Wikileak now. You know, the PR guy. He's not the one who asked the American serviceman to leak the information and he's not the one who received that information either, Wikileak did. Wikileak is a multi-millionaire corporation…

He's not just a spokesman. He's the driving force behind the entire organization. He manages and directs it.

So are you saying now that if I knowingly purchase or receive stolen goods I am not legally or ethically responsible? Hrm.

Wrong comparison. Assange didn't steal anything from any country and he's just a spokeman for Wikileak now. You know, the PR guy. He's not the one who asked the American serviceman to leak the information and he's not the one who received that information either, Wikileak did. Wikileak is a multi-millionaire corporation…

It was my understanding that Assange was at the time (still is?) editor of the Wikkileak website, making him responsible for the content displayed there. Much of the leaked content was confidential and classified,

We should also remember that the US is in a state of war.

I'm not a lawyer, so i can't comment of US or international law. However, if Assange was in the US when he published that information, he would probably be in jail, along with the servicemember who leaked the information, as an accessory to that crime.

Freedom of speech (and press), especially during wartime, can, and should be controlled by the government, if that expression may cause significant damage to the operations of the country. Defining "significant" is always the problem, but it is clear that the US was damaged to some degree by releasing the diplomatic cables, by weakening negotiation positions. The biggest concern, however, was the publishing of the military traffic, which, perhaps, could compromise intelligence gathering methods, and that could cost lives.

Freedom of speech (and press), especially during wartime, can, and should be controlled by the government, if that expression may cause significant damage to the operations of the country.

Some say this is the reason to go to war in the first place. A foreign threat, whether or not it exists, have been the primary tactic against freedoms since the birth of civilization.

Some say this is the reason to go to war in the first place. A foreign threat, whether or not it exists, have been the primary tactic against freedoms since the birth of civilization.

True enough. Yet in war, management of the will of the people is paramount.

Of course, many believe that we fell victim to that very thing, and after lying to start a war, it becomes much easier to lie to keep fighting.

It's a delicate balance. In an open society, one would wish to keep the information flowing, and to maintain a powerful fourth estate to keep watch on it all, yet that must be balanced with the needs of war.

Assange wasn't in the US when that material was released and the US is not at war with any of the countries he lives in!! Also US laws/policies are of no concern or weight to people who live outside the US; we have our own laws/policies to worry and complain about!! :)

Of course they're of concern. It's why there's extradition processes.

Rith, they may be of concern to gov'ts, but certainly not to ordinary people.

A quick google search does not show how many pepole would have purchased it if it wasn't for "thefts".

You are correct. A google search only tells you how many websites have stolen your article. The thefts are typically much more than that. If she sells an article to an online magazine, and only to that magazine, it should not appear on any other website. if it does, it's stolen.

He didn't say they should be removed, he said they should be reduced.

Übereil

Reduced results in damage to her ability to pay herself or her work. How much reduced? For some of her work, it could be reduced. One could argue that a made to order article or a contemporary blog probably doesn't have much of a shelf life. On the other hand, a short story which took months to write should last as long as she does.

The only reason to reduce copyright is to allow people to use the work without paying for it, and the most egregious way of using the work is to make money from it yourself, without paying for it. Copyright ensures that if any money is to be made from any piece of work, the owner of the copyright receives the money, or contracts that right away.

Rith, they may be of concern to gov'ts, but certainly not to ordinary people.

Maybe not to you, but it is to me. The more people know about how intelligence is gathered, or decisions made, the more danger I may be subjected to by those who may use it against my country. I'd be even more annoyed if i were still in the military, where the risk would be much greater.

I think the US will pursue him using the international legal system, with minimal success. I do think he should be pursued, however, if only for the sake of deterrence.

You are correct. A google search only tells you how many websites have stolen your article. The thefts are typically much more than that. If she sells an article to an online magazine, and only to that magazine, it should not appear on any other website. if it does, it's stolen.

"Eating meat is murder".

Before tossing around your own definitions you first have to ponder the meaning of those definitions. The way you use it have more to do with rhetoric than law.

The only reason to reduce copyright is to allow people to use the work without paying for it, and the most egregious way of using the work is to make money from it yourself, without paying for it. Copyright ensures that if any money is to be made from any piece of work, the owner of the copyright receives the money, or contracts that right away.

Yeah. But that is not true is it? Step one is to listen to the arguments, then meet those arguments with more accurate arguments. Can't just skip the objections and call it a day.

Your plan for financially supporting the people whose work you're so happy to pillage for yourself? Yeah, I know you don't have one. Can't just throw out your objections and call it a day.

Your plan for financially supporting the people whose work you're so happy to pillage for yourself? Yeah, I know you don't have one. Can't just throw out your objections and call it a day.

When strawmen fills the void where counterarguments should be, I have a pen to lend for those who wish to sign the papers of resignation.

You are correct.

So you agree with me that you can't use a google search to show how piracy have affected your wife's income?

Reduced results in damage to her ability to pay herself or her work.

It also results in someone else having an easier time paying him/herself or his/her work since pirates tends not to take the money they don't spend on copyrighted material out to their back yard and burn it.

(Note that I'm not talking about someone directly profiteering from copyright infringement. I'm merely talking about the things pirates will spend money on since they don't spend it on films/books/games/etc.)

Übereil

What wikileaks did wasn't illegal. I don't really agree with the publishing of all the information. I just think all the documents showing illegal or corrupt acts in the government should have been published. It was kind of sad that people were more upset about the people who were responsible for the leak than the actual information in the leak. There was some pretty damning things leaked.

When strawmen fills the void where counterarguments should be, I have a pen to lend for those who wish to sign the papers of resignation.
Your proposal has no remedy for the lost income. That's not a strawman, that's a gaping hole in your argument. Nice attempt to hide behind impressive words, though.

What wikileaks did wasn't illegal. I don't really agree with the publishing of all the information. I just think all the documents showing illegal or corrupt acts in the government should have been published. It was kind of sad that people were more upset about the people who were responsible for the leak than the actual information in the leak. There was some pretty damning things leaked.

The problem is this idiot put US operatives and those that work with them at risk. Additionally, he brought to light a lot of negotiations, comments, and other material that put a great number of people at risk by unbalancing international relations. If some mid-level analyst writes an email to a diplomat saying the King of Saudi Arabia is an idiot, the world doesn't need to know that. Especially since comments like that can be blown out of proportion, used as propaganda, etc. and people can end up hurt and killed in the resulting affects. Same with our security assessments of places like Yemen or Pakistan or whatever.

He is responsible for his organization, and his organization was irresponsible in the the information that they published. He put what he's decided is the greater good above the safety of other people. He's lucky we didn't just have him and the rest of his cronies assassinated.

Pretty much agree with BlatantNinja here.

Your proposal has no remedy for the lost income.
That's not a strawman, that's a gaping hole in your argument. Nice attempt to hide behind impressive words, though.

The things I mentioned haven't actually been adressed. All I got was a generic "I didn't listen to what you had to say, but I would like to curse you from what I believe you meant to say". Even with this latest comment it's clear you either didn't read, nor understood what's on the table.

This behavior is a huge problem. People are very eager to vote for legislations for wrong reasons and again, and refuse to listen to objections to the issues with further legislators, for the wrong reasons.

One video that explains the basic problems with the current system and what it does to creativity is this one; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

Now all you and Jhari did was to jump to the wrong conclusions to my comment "these laws currently needs a reduction, not an increase". These laws no longer protect creativity, it inhibits creativity.

You might wish to take one step back, wonder about the subject above, and wonder whether or not Jharis wife is actually helped by this proposed legislation. Is she helped by the ability to "protect" audio samples? Who is protected and why? What is the price for that "protection"?

Last edited:
The problem is that you put "reveneue as they can get for it" (read = money) before the reason why a human being is ready to produce what they do in the first place. In doing so, you miss the point, and you place an artificial construct before humanity itself.

Once you grasp the inherit value in the act, and how to use that inherit value beyond the old systems, rather than believe that without the old system the act have no value, you can go very far.
Thought I'd remind you of what you actually said, since you seem to have lost track in your efforts to distract our readers with impressive terminology.

You are promoting "art for art's sake", right? Inherent value and such? That's beautiful and brings a tear to my eye, but strangely enough doesn't put any food on the table of the artist. It's pretty tough to eat inherent value. Thus, just like I've said twice now, your entire argument lacks any remedy for the inevitable loss of income when you reduce the scope of copyright.

Also, neuropsychology have shown that there is a direct relationship between efficiency and getting payed, opposite from conventional knowledge. People who usually did something for it's own value who suddenly get payed for it, show worse result. The reason may be, that the drive behind the original creativity is removed when it gets to be "just another job".
Indeed, those greedy artists should do it for free! They can eat their artistic integrity, right? Gaping hole, and no way around it. So rather than amazing us with your grasp of the polysyllabic, how about you offer up your plan to replace the lost income of artists once you reduce copyright laws. Otherwise, to borrow a phrase, I'll have to break out those papers of resignation for you.

You are promoting "art for art's sake", right? Inherent value and such? That's beautiful and brings a tear to my eye, but strangely enough doesn't put any food on the table of the artist.

That is false.

It's a conventional wisdom in some areas yes, but simply false.

An artist is a brand that pays through being real. The art promote the artist. This have always been the case, long before "copyright" came in and still today it pays. Much of what an artist make in money is not from making the art, indeed an artist who are payed for their art directly is a poor artist. What pays the artist is the money that comes from using the brand. The more widespread and recognizable a brand is, the more valuable it is.

The idea that art as a "product", quantifiable in a sum of money is fairly new. It was created thanks to the introduction of certain inventions. What many have failed to grasp is that this relied on the invention and those who controlled it. Media works differently now thanks to newer inventions. Those who understood the new technology makes money, including some who wouldn't if we were back in the old world.

The problem since the new medium was invented was who owns the culture that comes from the art and who owns the brand. This is where many of the problems with the current ideas out there come in.

A great advantage that the new technology have over the old is that it's easier to promote yourself, distribute your art and build a brand, which is what online services like youtube and steam is about. When doing so, you can still own what you built. You do not need to take the old path through the publisher who copied the discs and delivered them to the store. You no longer have to go via a studio who will decide whether or not they are ready to "invest in you".

Indeed, those greedy artists should do it for free! They can eat their artistic integrity, right? Gaping hole, and no way around it. So rather than amazing us with your grasp of the polysyllabic, how about you offer up your plan to replace the lost income of artists once you reduce copyright laws. Otherwise, to borrow a phrase, I'll have to break out those papers of resignation for you.

Or you can learn the word "reduce" and figure out that there might be more to it than "free art, yay" in what I said so far. Try. For one thing, you might wish to begin with telling me how what you are now saying is linked to producing walkthroughs, achievement-assistance, longplays etc from games on youtube. You may also have a look at that video I posted and tell me how the ability to copyright a sample helps anyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom