Beamdog Working on Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition?

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
After reading this tweet from Trent Oster, I gather that Beamdog has an updated version of Planescape: Torment in the works along the lines of what they are doing with Baldur's Gate.

Anyone know some additional details about this project?

Or is he just saying "we want to do it"?

Seems like he's saying they're going to do it after the BG games are completed.

I highly doubt they could both projects simultaneously.

Aren't the rights for PS:T held by a different publisher?

Good question. I wonder about that also. With so many studios gone or rights traded its hard to know. What sucks is that I know I'm going to buy it for a third time if its true.

Hopefully they do IWD as well. It would seem like a natural progression. I know it's blasphemous but I never got into planescape. I didn't care for the death mechanic or the annoying talking head and while I don't mind reading text it was just too much reading for me. I would still like them to do planescape however as the more exposure for these kinds of games the better.

Yeah.. if I had to choose, I'd take IWD 1+2 over PS:T, but I hope they eventually do all of them.

Me too. But that's just because I've personally wrung all the blood from the PS:T stone and have barely even touched either IWD 1 or 2.

We're making giant assumptions here aren't we that the work they're doing on BG is going to be generally good and "improved" over the originals? Otherwise, there's just no reason to touch PS:T. It's perfectly fine by itself.

I'm going to wait and see what their work is like first before pining for more remakes.

We're making giant assumptions here aren't we that the work they're doing on BG is going to be generally good and "improved" over the originals? Otherwise, there's just no reason to touch PS:T. It's perfectly fine by itself.

I'm going to wait and see what their work is like first before pining for more remakes.

At the very least, the BGEE means I don't have to go through the annoying process of installing big world project or bgtutu etc., and all of those essential mods needed to make Baldurs Gate run properly on the BG2 engine on a modern laptop display. I have started with that entire process a few times and given up each time after several hours of trying. As a result, I've never played Baldur's Gate before.

I have started with that entire process a few times and given up each time after several hours of trying. As a result, I've never played Baldur's Gate before.

Errrr....It takes about 3 clicks to get BGTutu up and running. There is 0 configuration except for selecting the install directory.

Errrr….It takes about 3 clicks to get BGTutu up and running. There is 0 configuration except for selecting the install directory.

You wont need mods that screw up the game. Install the mods in the wrong order or not checking if there compatible will mess up your game. Happened a few times and I had to reinstall all the games again to fix it.

There making the infinity engine games more compatible with modern tech with added content. That's a bonus in my book as the games show there age on new machines without the mods.

Errrr….It takes about 3 clicks to get BGTutu up and running. There is 0 configuration except for selecting the install directory.

LOL I wish it was that simple. I tried to follow these instructions many times, but it didn't work for me.

I kept getting an error message about WeiDu something or other.

I kept getting an error message about WeiDu something or other.

Try EasyTutu.

You wont need mods that screw up the game. Install the mods in the wrong order or not checking if there compatible will mess up your game. Happened a few times and I had to reinstall all the games again to fix it.

The recommended BGTutu install leaves both BG and BG2 directories untouched so you should never have to reinstall them. It sounds like you selected to override your existing BG install with tutu :)

The recommended BGTutu install leaves both BG and BG2 directories untouched so you should never have to reinstall them. It sounds like you selected to override your existing BG install with tutu :)

Yes the first time it was my fault the second time was due to other mods I used. Took me a couple of tries to work with the gog version. Still it will be nice and convenient to get a hd remake with no need for other programs.

Yes the first time it was my fault the second time was due to other mods I used. Took me a couple of tries to work with the gog version. Still it will be nice and convenient to get a hd remake with no need for other programs.

Yep, I also have the GOG version.

Haven't had any problems installing the GOG version of PS:T; however. At any rate I'm looking forward to the enhanced edition of both games.

Installing BG Trilogy, for instance - is a piece of cake.

I know that people are scrambling to spend money on yet another cash-in, as if it's some miraculous new and shiny BG - instead of a slightly modified iteration - but if you actually WANT to play BG in high-res and with several strong improvements - it's already possible and quite easy to do.

Installing BG Trilogy, for instance - is a piece of cake.

I know that people are scrambling to spend money on yet another cash-in, as if it's some miraculous new and shiny BG - instead of a slightly modified iteration - but if you actually WANT to play BG in high-res and with several strong improvements - it's already possible and quite easy to do.

I spent several weekend afternoons attempting to install the game with some sort of mod that lets you play BG1 using the BG2 engine and for 16:9, 1080p display, unsuccessfully.

I tried bgtutu, Big World Project and BGT. (I believe BGT is part of BWP). Kept having some sort of problem with either the WeiDu file, or it would hang during installation and wouldn't let me enter the correct file path. Finally, I gave up.

Haven't tried easytutu, however.

It's very easy to set up BGT. It's just about automatic at this point. That's not the issue- the issue is that at high resolutions the graphics become unbearably tiny. Yes, you can up the font size and show the entire game map at once in some cases but everything in game is so small it's pretty much unplayable. Obviously, that's the point of this.

Back
Top Bottom