Two Worlds - More Review Coverage @ Gamebanshee

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamebanshee has posted some clips from four reviews of Reality Pump's action rpg, Two Worlds, once again showing the variation in quality between the Pc and XBox360 versions:
Gamer 2.0 reviewing the XBox 360 version, gives it a 5/10 and uses the "poor man's Oblivion" comparison we've seen in other reviews.
Multiplayer is like a cruel joke by the developers, tricking players into wasting more time by thinking there is any sense of excitement found online with others. It’s quite astounding that playing online with others is more boring and broken than playing by yourself in the main game
Deeko also slams the XBox game with a score of 3.5/10, saying:

Have you ever played a game for fifteen minutes and were so disgusted by its quality that you literally were in pain after playing it? That made you feel like throwing the Xbox 360 against the wall in frustration? Where you wished they still had cords attached to the controllers, just so you could strangle something? Well, if you're a fan of those kinds of games - and who isn't - then you're going to absolutely love Two Worlds.
Gamezone gives a more in-depth and positive review of the PC version of the game, with a score of 7.1/10:
While all this may sound like a game that should be avoided, it is quite the contrary. Two Worlds is a robust role-playing game that has a lot of depth, from the crafting elements (alchemy) to the combat and way you can level up your character. With an open-ended quest system, and the choice to take and/or complete quests, players will find a lot to enjoy about this game as well as the opportunity to invest a lot of hours playing it.
There's also a review of the XBox version from MS XBox World, adding to the consensus with 3/10:
What really killed the longevity of the game for me ... was the fact that I committed one minor crime in a major city (where there were lots of active quests). This resulted in the guards chasing me down and then presenting me with several options to bribe or pay a hefty price. I opted to offer the guard 15% of the fine ... to turn a blind eye; however he refused and then all hell broke loose. It seems that once this happens the entire town for the rest of the game will attack you on sight and this includes important quest characters as well as guards. There is no way to reverse this... This is poor game design at best...it’s a terrible oversight and just one of a long line of flaws the game has.
More information.

What really killed the longevity of the game for me ... was the fact that I committed one minor crime in a major city (where there were lots of active quests). This resulted in the guards chasing me down and then presenting me with several options to bribe or pay a hefty price. I opted to offer the guard 15% of the fine ... to turn a blind eye; however he refused and then all hell broke loose. It seems that once this happens the entire town for the rest of the game will attack you on sight and this includes important quest characters as well as guards. There is no way to reverse this... This is poor game design at best...it’s a terrible oversight and just one of a long line of flaws the game has.
Nevermind that pretty much the exact same thing happens in Oblivion (and before that in Morrowind).

Nor in Oblivion.

You have never been attacked by your own guild buddies and fought to the death after comitting the heinous crime of picking a flower from the guilds flower pot (yes, including your quest givers)? Or had the guards called on you for touching an item in a shop, without even taking it (Oblivion)? Or had everyone in the entire world instantly aware that you were wanted, because you committed a crime in the middle of the forest, half a world away (both)?
Its admittedly "fixable" in the sense that you can always pay for your crimes (if you find a guard fast enough). But I still considered the crime system in both games as pretty terrible. I do not remember reviewers bringing the point up much, though.

The reviewer wasn't objecting to the crime system. He was frustrated by the designers' "oversight" of failing to give him a second chance to atone for the crime. Here's the rest of that passage:
It seems that once this happens the entire town for the rest of the game will attack you on sight and this includes important quest characters as well as guards. There is no way to reverse this although I’m told from other players that by killing the entire town and then using a resurrect spell can reverse it. This really irked me and made my will to play on diminish. This is poor game design at best and considering I ran away from the town hoping I would be able to return and bribe or pay the fine later on; my save file was over written as I adventured elsewhere in the game and so there was no turning back. With no options to do anything about this I can see many people who want to complete as many quests as possible (like myself) simply give up on the game. There will probably be a patch to fix this issue but it’s a terrible oversight and just one of a long line of flaws the game has.

And that doesn't happen in Oblivion.

And that doesn't happen in Oblivion.
Perhaps that is because the NPC's in Oblivion are idiot refugees from "Short Attention Span Theater"?

I mean, how would you react if someone tried to rob your house, then bribe you not to call the cops by giving you $1, then when you went to beat the crap out of them, they left and stood outside for a few minutes ... then came back in?

Two Worlds is far from perfect, but penalizing it for failing to adopt some effed up behaviors from Oblivion is ... well, effed up.

I disagree. In Oblivion, the change to your reputation when you commit a crime is probably too small, and the consequences of a negative reputation too benign, but I'd rather have the option of making amends for a crime than be forced to reload a savegame because I failed a bribery roll.

You are right, you are able to make amends for things that sohouldn't have happened in the first place in Oblivion.
The point is, neither system is any good.

Debating over the lame crime systems in TES and TW is like arguing over which is better, "Dude! Where's My Car" and "Men at Work". One may be slightly better than the other, but who cares? They both suck.

Whatever happened to that old cliche, Crime Doesn't Pay!! :)

Back
Top Bottom