Risen - Risen Review @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
While we work on the next Risen review flood, GameSpot is probably a significant enough site to post their critique separately. The score is 7/10 but the text is generally quite positive, they cite "troublesome" combat and "scattered bugs" for bringing the score down. Here's the intro:
If you judge Risen on its first act alone, you may be convinced that a better title for this complex role-playing game would be "Errand Boy." But while you spend many of the early hours as a shipwrecked message courier, you should stick with it, because things do get better. You explore dark caverns, clash with pirates over buried treasure, stab lizardmen in their faces, and earn the help of a furry friend with a talented nose. Some of Risen's issues stay with you up to the end; there's no escaping the problematic combat and a number of bugs and presentation glitches. But a large and memorable cast of characters and an array of multilayered quests will keep you pushing forward. While it's too technically inconsistent to rise to the top of the genre, Risen still provides plenty of enjoyable adventuring for RPG lovers yearning for a game they can get lost in.
More information.

The review is pretty decent. However, they gave Gothic 3 a 7.6 and Risen a 7.0 which is strange. Risen is an improvement over G3 in many ways.

Gamespot is one of the most mainstream gaming sites on the web. It's not a bad site overall, but I don't really take their reviews seriously.

I am usually in line with their review over all, less so with RPGs. I'm rather irked with this particular review. From my gamespot user review -

Gamespot says, "your sword harmlessly clips through a closer enemy because the one behind it was targeted. You're meant to play defensively, but enemies are unpredictable, and it's hard to get a feel for the right time to strike back."

That's not even true, first of all. Your strikes do NOT harmlessly pass through other enemies. Your strikes will ALWAYS harm enemies that are in striking distance unless they are blocking, SEVERAL at a time. This is just false information!

And yes enemies are unpredictable. Let's just suppose the enemy AI was predictable. Do you think Gamespot wouldn't complain about that?

The rest is here

I mostly agree with the text, but 7/10 is too low.

Especially considering, as someone already mentioned, that Gothic 3 got 7.6

The review is pretty decent. However, they gave Gothic 3 a 7.6 and Risen a 7.0 which is strange. Risen is an improvement over G3 in many ways.

And not in others. Just going from the demo, Gothic 3 is the better game in my opinion by some way *shrugs*

Having finished both (Gothic 3 and RISEN), the possible reason for RISEN getting low score can be the fact that you spend first 2 chapters pretty much running errands for this guy or the another..

Actually, this goes on till Chapter 4 where you FINALLY get a reason to fight to death on that island (mostly cause you were pushed into this mess anyway).

Other than that, RISEN fixes a lot of gameplay issues and improved the GUI and provides smoother intro compared to G3. But if you have played G3 you will not see anything new in most of the content.

I actually made it to Chapter 2 (in RISEN) after about 40 hrs of exploring (while other players on my Xfire list made it to chapter 4 in about 25 hrs). Compared to Gothic, the exploring part actually is pretty disappointing. In G3 you could wander around and find random people, miners, escapee slaves and whatnot all over the forest. It felt like in real world, people were trying to get away from the danger while trying to face another (downgrading from Orcs to wild animals was the only choice for them).

In RISEN on the other hand, you keep on exploring and you will only find animals to kill, some random loot and few secrets here and there but that's all. The island feels smaller than G3 world (for obvious reasons) but feels barren, has no soul and reminds you of the huge waste the "NEXT-GEN seamless world" of Oblivion were.

So yeah, I can see all the improvements in RISEN, but I can see all the flaws as well (esp. when I compare it with G3.. which actually ran crash-free without patching for me compared to other unlucky gamers).

EDIT: Not to mention the part that G3 had more variety in levels (from desert to frozen north).

Gamespot says, "your sword harmlessly clips through a closer enemy because the one behind it was targeted. You're meant to play defensively, but enemies are unpredictable, and it's hard to get a feel for the right time to strike back."

I find it hard to believe they actually played the game for more than a few hours if they said that. Lateral swings of the sword can often hit several enemies, and blood comes out of all of them.

Oh well, I'm loving Risen. One of the most enjoyable games I've played for a while.

Compared to Gothic, the exploring part actually is pretty disappointing. In G3 you could wander around and find random people, miners, escapee slaves and whatnot all over the forest. It felt like in real world, people were trying to get away from the danger while trying to face another (downgrading from Orcs to wild animals was the only choice for them).

I disagree. G3 was huge, but it had a lot of areas that served no purpose, and most of the caves/dungeons were empty and pointless. You would fight to clear out a cave of monsters, only to discover that there was nothing worthwhile in it. Risen is more fun to explore imo, because most everything has a purpose.

I disagree. G3 was huge, but it had a lot of areas that served no purpose, and most of the caves/dungeons were empty and pointless. You would fight to clear out a cave of monsters, only to discover that there was nothing worthwhile in it. Risen is more fun to explore imo, because most everything has a purpose.

I have to disagree.. actually did that in previous post already. Exploration in Risen is more pointless and boring compared to G3 where even the most obscure places had quests attached to them. Having explored every inch of both games I can say that G3 did it way better, probably cause of scale of the world.

If they tried adding more secrets or "exploratory" elements in Risen then they would just run out of room considering the small size of the whole map (and the part where it will feel like the whole island is nothing but a bunch of secret doors.

The monastery section was better though. I was a warrior so just dropping on to some ledge to hunt for rings on wall to pull was fun. :p

But more of that in whole game would've just seemed out of place for a island (just isn't realistic).

PS: It took me a long time to explore, but I was still disappointed in finding only random loot and mutated bugs to fight around them. The only challenging enemies, surprisingly, were the gnomes in most of the game. I only got hit by a enemy spell (splash damage) TWICE and that too when you enter the Titan area. Compare that to Gothic where I HATED facing the Orc mages who were always position BEHIND the archers who had melee warriors protecting them in front. So dieing 4 times in Risen (1 includes a long fall) vs dieing 50+ times in G3... hmm, yeah, Risen isn't challenging (compared to people who hated G3 combat, I loved it).

PS: It took me a long time to explore, but I was still disappointed in finding only random loot and mutated bugs to fight around them. The only challenging enemies, surprisingly, were the gnomes in most of the game. I only got hit by a enemy spell (splash damage) TWICE and that too when you enter the Titan area. Compare that to Gothic where I HATED facing the Orc mages who were always position BEHIND the archers who had melee warriors protecting them in front. So dieing 4 times in Risen (1 includes a long fall) vs dieing 50+ times in G3… hmm, yeah, Risen isn't challenging (compared to people who hated G3 combat, I loved it).

I can't imagine someone being disappointed in the loot in Risen, and yet being satisfied by the loot (or lack thereof) in Gothic 3. G3 was the ultimate disappointment when it came to any kind of significant reward for exploration.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Gothic 3, but it was a HUGE letdown compared to its predecessors. Once you get past how pretty the world is, it's only a matter of time before you realize how unimportant most of it is. The randomization of the loot in the chests, as well as the items for sale was also disappointing.

Also, anyone claiming they only died 4 times in Risen is either stretching the truth, or playing on "Easy" ;). I probably died at least 12-15 times in the first chapter alone, but I'm also playing on "Hard", which feels about right to me. I'd say it's close to being on par with Gothic 2+NotR in terms of difficulty.

The thing that really tainted Gothic 3 for me was that it was artificially difficult because of the broken combat mechanics. I probably died around 50 times as well, but 30+ of those instances was because I was stunlocked by a wolf or boar. That's not legitimately "challenging", that's being frustrated because of horribly implemented combat.

I can't imagine someone being disappointed in the loot in Risen, and yet being satisfied by the loot (or lack thereof) in Gothic 3. G3 was the ultimate disappointment when it came to any kind of significant reward for exploration.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Gothic 3, but it was a HUGE letdown compared to its predecessors. Once you get past how pretty the world is, it's only a matter of time before you realize how unimportant most of it is. The randomization of the loot in the chests, as well as the items for sale was also disappointing.

Also, anyone claiming they only died 4 times in Risen is either stretching the truth, or playing on "Easy" ;). I probably died at least 12-15 times in the first chapter alone, but I'm also playing on "Hard", which feels about right to me. I'd say it's close to being on par with Gothic 2+NotR in terms of difficulty.

The thing that really tainted Gothic 3 for me was that it was artificially difficult because of the broken combat mechanics. I probably died around 50 times as well, but 30+ of those instances was because I was stunlocked by a wolf or boar. That's not legitimately "challenging", that's being frustrated because of horribly implemented combat.

As far as lying about dieing 4 (it was 4-7 actually now that I think about it, still not enough) times in RISEN, here's my Xfire profile, if it looks like I am some random RPG only player that will have trouble getting around simple combat in Risen.. well then..

I actually finished Risen and restarted as a Mage (and both times NOT Easy) in under 49 hrs (last 12 hrs includes completing chapter 3 & 4.. the chapters with most combat).

I don't really see how you can complain about loot in these games. The size of Risen allowed developers to not randomize loot a bit but in the end, that was the problem, the world wasn't big enough to add more exploration for the player (which you ARE admitting if you can tell that loot wasn't THAT random).

Also, I am confused about your definition of "exploration" like "loot". Exploration to me is finding random caves where few crazy creatures reside, huge treasure at the end isn't what makes it fun for me. The part about the world having such locations for creatures to hide in is what makes exploration fun for players like me, it makes the world feel alive. Not every inch needs a special treasure chest to make exploration fun if you are really into enjoying the game.

I never played any other gothic before 3 so I can't be bothered about debating whether they were fun or not. All I know is that I played G3 after Oblivion, one of the most overhyped games like Halo. The quests were terrible, beggars speaking in royal bloodline voices all of a sudden was just amateurish, the "Radiant AI" was as radiant as a chicken in Gothic and Risen (which seems more active :p). I still played that game only to explore the wilderness on my Horse.. which was pretty useless. Two Worlds mixed a lot of features from Gothic 3 and Oblivion (esp. making horses useful and "upgradeable"), it was better in almost everything but the storyline and interesting characters (there weren't any).

Anyways, Risen, a great effort from G3 developers but it's just Gothic 4 in the end considering the content and the story (replacing Orcs and Humans with Inquisition and Don). Maybe in next game they can actually try putting in a more interesting story, G3 like bigger world with a lot of hidden areas to explore (loot where you were expecting in G3 was always good, even armors were to be found.. not just brooms and candles like in Risen, which doesn't make much sense in most of the areas). Also, giving players some more information on creatures they kill can be fun (instead of just saying "they came from the temples…".. what? giant moths? is that all those temples could come up with?).

I don't care about Gamespot reviews and haven't read this one but if I would be reviewing it after playing G3, I wouldn't give Risen anything higher than 7 myself (hell, I would be more brutal with pulling it apart considering most of the game is pretty much similar to G3).

BTW, I died 50+ times in G3 not cause of getting stunlocked (that was never a issue, at least it made sense if you are going to battle a wild animal FFS, which is probably what developers were going for), I died cause I simple LOVED running into huge camps with my sword flailing like a madman. Obviously, most of the time I died, I knew the outcome before charging in but cutting apart Orcs with my sword one after another until I was subdued by mages and archers was just priceless. No such fun in Risen.. instead I got killed a freakin moth because I wasn't really expecting a moth with pretty fragile wings to stand against the might of a sharp sword..

I don't really see how you can complain about loot in these games. The size of Risen allowed developers to not randomize loot a bit but in the end, that was the problem, the world wasn't big enough to add more exploration for the player (which you ARE admitting if you can tell that loot wasn't THAT random).

The size of Risen is not a problem, quite the opposite actually. Many Gothic fans will tell you that G3 was *too* big, and it grew tiresome after awhile. Most people would rather have a finely handcrafted world, rather than one where the devs went for quantity over quality, which is exactly what they did with Gothic 3.

Also, I am confused about your definition of "exploration" like "loot". Exploration to me is finding random caves where few crazy creatures reside, huge treasure at the end isn't what makes it fun for me. The part about the world having such locations for creatures to hide in is what makes exploration fun for players like me, it makes the world feel alive. Not every inch needs a special treasure chest to make exploration fun if you are really into enjoying the game…

Of course not every inch needs loot to make exploration fun, but it's also not much fun to clear out cave after empty cave with little or no purpose. I'm glad you felt the world was "alive" in G3, but the majority of fans around here agree that the environments of Gothic 1-2 had a better atmosphere. I would highy recommend playing them if you enjoyed G3 so much, you will probably be quite surprised how much better the first 2 games are.

Maybe in next game they can actually try putting in a more interesting story, G3 like bigger world with a lot of hidden areas to explore .

Sure, if they can actually pull it off, and not give us a game that was almost completely broken out of the box, and still has issues even after 2 years of patching. :)

Back
Top Bottom