Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

How is this still alive? Are we certain AI is a bot?

I read the article, but I don't think it says what you think it does. It's mostly about the power of Apple's marketing and how they are trying to use the whole "post PC" message to try to sell more products. If anything it hurts your point more then it helps it. It's also mostly about the competition between different brands of tablets, and it has nothing to do with tablets vs. PCs.

You still dont get that we live in a post pc world. Allow Engadget to explain this to you:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/editorial-its-apples-post-pc-world-were-all-just-living/

"In this new world, Apple no longer has to compete on specs and features, nor does it want to. There is no Mac vs. PC here — only "the future" versus "the past." It won't be a debate about displays, memory, wireless options — it will be a debate about the quality of the experience. "

The quality of the experience is exactly the problem ;)

Good one Dart.:handshake: Though I don't think the loyal Apple follower will understand it. I have no problem with tablets, but there is no way it will become the number one gaming device.

As I said in a previous topic it's just another option to game on. It's not going to replace anything.:)

Good one Dart.:handshake: Though I don't think the loyal Apple follower will understand it. I have no problem with tablets, but there is no way it will become the number one gaming device.

As I said in a previous topic it's just another option to game on. It's not going to replace anything.:)

It might replace books and newspapers :)

They haven't quite replaced them yet ;)
Now you sound like my 70 year old father he says the same thing.:biggrin: Progress man it's called progress to the future and everything digital.

I will miss printed books but have to admit having my whole collection in the palm of my hand is convenient.:'(

Now you sound like my 70 year old father he says the same thing.:biggrin: Progress man it's called progress to the future and everything digital.

Wow, he sounds like one charming and altogether godlike dude ;)

I will miss printed books but have to admit having my whole collection in the palm of my hand is convenient.:'(

Frankly, I don't give a shit about books. I say let's get digital, digital… I wanna get digital, DI GI TAAAAAL!

Wow, he sounds like one charming and altogether godlike dude ;)
Why thank you he is.;)
Frankly, I don't give a shit about books. I say let's get digital, digital… I wanna get digital, DI GI TAAAAAL!
Can't believe I forgot about that song. Though I could use video killed the radio star to counter.:p See it's called progress.

Exactly ... And as someone who has on,y managed to get 90% of my non-gaming stuff doable on the iPad, I would say that in general the experience is solid but imperfect. And note that I separated out my gaming ...

Post PC is a metaphor, not a statement of reality. Just a few years ago, everything mobile needed a PC base, not anymore. And in general people spend more time on mobile than on PC. So as a general statement mobile and tablets have replaced PC as the centerpiece of computing. Which is different than saying that they have replaced the PC

Exactly … And as someone who has on,y managed to get 90% of my non-gaming stuff doable on the iPad, I would say that in general the experience is solid but imperfect. And note that I separated out my gaming …

Post PC is a metaphor, not a statement of reality. Just a few years ago, everything mobile needed a PC base, not anymore. And in general people spend more time on mobile than on PC. So as a general statement mobile and tablets have replaced PC as the centerpiece of computing. Which is different than saying that they have replaced the PC

Centerpiece of computing? Not really.

In the workplace = PC. For actual work (including typing, coding, graphics, and so on) = PC/Mac.

Tablets and mobiles may dominate when it comes to surfing, reading and doing things on the move - but as the centerpiece of computing, they're not really doing all that much.

If you're going to include texting and talking - then we're moving away from computing - which was never about that.

So, I don't agree with you at all.

It will be quite sometime before mobile could replace pc for me.

Mobile is great for content delivery but for gaming or running my business it leaves a lot to be desired.

My accounting software still hasn't gone mobile unless I want to use a nerfed cloud based solution, which I don't. Also I am constantly looking at blueprints and very large documents so screen real estate and multiple monitors is essential. Printing is also hit or miss on mobile devices. Software options are still to limited in my field.

As for gaming input options are the biggest barrier for me, even with XCOM being essentially the same game on my ipad it still just isn't as enjoyable as a pc with an 84 inch screen and 7.2 surround sound.

How will mobile ever compete with that? Mobile will complement pc's not replace them assuming you really need a pc, if we are just talking about checking Facebook, playing candy crush and sending emails, well then mobiles fine.

Nothing needs to replace anything. I play games on both my pc and my iPad - whenever I have a choice I prefer the ipad - and I'm perfectly happy like that, but that's just me, it's just a preference based on convenience and comfort not on statistics and predictions about the future of whichever industry. Port every game to every platform that can handle it, I say - give people the option to choose to play in whatever way is most comfortable for them.

I'm confused as to why the ipad would replace computers? Wouldn't it be more of a compliment to your gaming?

I'm confused as to why the ipad would replace computers? Wouldn't it be more of a compliment to your gaming?

For some reason, some people really want the iPad to be so much more than it is :)

Personally, I don't understand why people get religious about these things.

It's a really cool gadget (or small extra computer if you prefer) - with a lot of cool uses. But that's it - so let's stay in the real world, whaddaya say? ;)

It's because people have the need to keep reassuring themselves that their choice was the right one by exaggerating its pros and understating or completely overlooking its cons while doing the exact opposite for any alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom