PS3 with LCD monitor

Hey guys,

First of all Happy New Year, or at least it will be in a couple of hours here.

I'm planning on getting a PS3 for my birthday and I plan to use my computer monitor to output the signal (I don't want to spend more money on an HDTV). The only issue is I've read is that my monitor (HP zr24w) is a 24" one with a native resolution of 1920x1200, and the PS3 can output 1920x1080.

And it seems my monitor can't fill to aspect ratio at those high resolutions, so from what I've read on the internet the image will get stretched vertically.

I've asked around for a possible fix to this, but it seems it might not be possible. Has anyone here run into this sort of issue? Should I get the PS3 and use it like this even if the image will get a bit stretched from 1080 to 1200? Does it look bad or is it acceptable?

I've got a smaller 20" monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200 which does have a fill to aspect ration so it will probably look ok on that one. But, it's a smaller screen, so it won't look that good.

What do you guys think? I'm planning on getting the PS3 mainly for the Uncharted series which I'm hearing all sort of good stuff about, and Red Dead Redemption.

Edit: Hmm, I should've opened this thread in the hardware section. Sorry. Can a moderator please move it there? Thank you.

I think you pretty much done all you can. Whether the stretching is a problem is probably very subjective. I do own a PS3 and a Dell 24" 1920x1200 LCD but I'm not sure if it suports 1:1 aspect ratio. I use another LCD for the PS3 and have neever tested the Dell. I might try it for you if I find the time.

I think you pretty much done all you can. Whether the stretching is a problem is probably very subjective. I do own a PS3 and a Dell 24" 1920x1200 LCD but I'm not sure if it suports 1:1 aspect ratio. I use another LCD for the PS3 and have neever tested the Dell. I might try it for you if I find the time.

And what size is the other monitor, the one you're using with the PS3? I've also got another 20" LCD with a native resolution at 1600x1200 which probably will handle the 1:1 aspect ratio, but I thought it might be too small for gaming. Or not too small, but it might be better to suffer a bit of stretching on a larger screen, than a correct aspect ratio on a smaller one.

Using a 24" lcd the image is perfect but mine is 1920x1080, i think you wont notice much stretching, it will adapt like if your pc was sending it that just test it like that and see if its acceptable.
Another issue is the sound , hope you have a sound jack on your monitor, the only usb headsets you can plug on the ps3 are for the online talk, not the game sound effects, both sadly doesnt mix, or if it does i havent found it.
The ps3 isnt delivered with an hdmi(you have hdmi on your monitor right ?) cable either, remember to order one as well.

Using a 24" lcd the image is perfect but mine is 1920x1080, i think you wont notice much stretching, it will adapt like if your pc was sending it that just test it like that and see if its acceptable.
Another issue is the sound , hope you have a sound jack on your monitor, the only usb headsets you can plug on the ps3 are for the online talk, not the game sound effects, both sadly doesnt mix, or if it does i havent found it.
The ps3 isnt delivered with an hdmi(you have hdmi on your monitor right ?) cable either, remember to order one as well.

So if the PS3 doesn't come with an hdmi cable how does it connect to a regular hdtv? I'm planning on using an hdmi to dvi adaptor. But I thought the PS3 would at least come with an hdmi cable.

For sound I'm not going to use the monitor. From what I've read you can use a regular 2.1 system to output sound, no?

You dont even get a yuv cable with the ps3 but a mediocre composite , i dont think the lcd has that interface , not commonly and anyway its mediocre , well check your interfaces.But yes you could also order a ps3 dvi cable, one with a switch to be more convenient with your pc.

For your sound setup here's what i found:

http://www.portfolioofpb.com/blog/connect-ps3-to-a-surround-sound-setup-amplifier-to-5.1-7.1
Connecting the basic sound setup - 2.1

This is a simple process. Your PS3 should have come with a component cable (Red, White and Yellow connectors). The other end of that cable will be a special connector that will go into the back of your PS3 (called AV Multi Out). You can ignore the Yellow cable (which is video). You can connect the Red and White cable into an amplifier or a component to headphone connector. From here, you can connect speakers and get 2.1 channels of sound.
Another way is to output that audio through your computer speakers.

I dont think you can setup easily something like that with an hdmi or dvi cable.

You dont even get a yuv cable with the ps3 but a mediocre composite , i dont think the lcd has that interface , not commonly and anyway its mediocre , well check your interfaces.But yes you could also order a ps3 dvi cable, one with a switch to be more convenient with your pc.

For your sound setup here's what i found:

http://www.portfolioofpb.com/blog/connect-ps3-to-a-surround-sound-setup-amplifier-to-5.1-7.1
Connecting the basic sound setup - 2.1

This is a simple process. Your PS3 should have come with a component cable (Red, White and Yellow connectors). The other end of that cable will be a special connector that will go into the back of your PS3 (called AV Multi Out). You can ignore the Yellow cable (which is video). You can connect the Red and White cable into an amplifier or a component to headphone connector. From here, you can connect speakers and get 2.1 channels of sound.
Another way is to output that audio through your computer speakers.

I dont think you can setup easily something like that with an hdmi or dvi cable.
Ok, so I'll get a hdmi to dvi cable then instead of an adaptor. Cool.

For audio, yeah, that's what I read. All I'll have to do is connect the 2 red/white cabled to my amplifier and then I should be set. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom