Gothic 4 - Jowood Forum Tidbits

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamebanshee posts a link to the Jowood forums, where community manager Dietrich "EDL" Limper attempts to sort out some of the rumors on Spellbound's upcoming sequel in the Gothic series, Arcania:A Gothic Tale:
There are lots of rumors out there right now and I will try to clarify a few things.

Combat System
What the guys in the US saw has nothing to do with the final system. They were running the test level and there you can hit one human without any AI with your sword. That's about it. That has nothing to do with the stuff we are working on right now. So, just forget about it.

The "witches"
Well, we will not use old ladies, put them on broomsticks and send them through the air to save the world. The traditional term "witches" has nothing to do with the ladies you might encounter during the game. They run a different show and have other goals ... forget about the "witches".

The interface
You can customize your interface to your liking and leave out all the windows and bars that you don't like to see. You could even use the old Gothic Interface and don't use any of the new stuff we'll offer. Purists can use the life bar from Gothic 1 only if they are happy with it. Other players might want to use the mini map for example. It is up to you.

Two versions
There will not be two versions of the game. Period. The only choice you can make is about a different set of colors. That is a decision you can make once in the game and then forget about it. It is just a feature. It will in no way influence the story or anything else.

The nameless hero
Well, when the US-Publisher gives away the news as they did, who am I to say "veto".
Let's clarify what was written there:
10 years have passed since the Nameless Hero (NH) declared himself king and now he wages war throughout the country. He even wants to conquer the Southern Isles. His friends and close advisors are wondering about his strange behaviour and get the feeling that the king might not act by his free will. Strange things are going on.
During these dark and doomed days a new hero emerges in the south. A guy who will not take it anymore and he will do ... well whatever you want him to do. During his travels he might find new allies, even the old buddies of the king, who do not understand the rulings of their former friend. And he will meet new NPC and enemies, each with his/her own agenda. Whom can you trust now? The adventure goes on ...

That is all speculation, OK? That's a summary of the information that was out there.

The Gothic feeling is not gone. Right now you know about 5 % of the whole story and we will stick to the world, language, monsters, gods and so on. We will not turn the world upside down, but some new stuff has to happen, don't you think so? The story needs to go on and people might change over the course of 10 years.
More information.

The story seems good enough. let's hope it will keep looking good although it will not be PB that made it
The explanation of the witches reminds a bit at the Blood omen/ soul reaver series with mobieus and the big elder monster. Can't say why, but it does

And one big point for the interface. I just can't comprehend why a completely customizable interface isn't standard in todays RPGs (at least in high budget games like Oblivion, NWN, Gothic...you know what I mean).

Ladies and gentlemen,

The building is not on fire.

Regards,
EDL.

Does anybody else think it's kind of dumb that after becoming king, the nameless hero doesn't have a name? I mean won't it be weird that ever place you go if someone ask you the king's names your response is going to be "I don't know" followed by an awkward silence?

Does anybody else think it's kind of dumb that after becoming king, the nameless hero doesn't have a name? I mean won't it be weird that ever place you go if someone ask you the king's names your response is going to be "I don't know" followed by an awkward silence?

How do you know he doesn't? He might be given a name in this one just for those reasons.

claiming the title is so not the nameless heros style.
its also not the continuation of the 'true' ending of gothic 3,
the neutral ending, following the path of adanos, and the main
character of the series (besides the nameless hero) , xardas, into the forbiden/lost area.
why on earth would i want to follow, a singular ending of the game, and in my view not the intendend arc that the pirahnas intended.

for a similar example, look at deus ex and its sequel. the sequel did it a cool way and actually combined some of the endings of the first.

The Nameless King ?

Soon To Be Forgotten ?

;)

claiming the title is so not the nameless heros style.
its also not the continuation of the 'true' ending of gothic 3,
the neutral ending, following the path of adanos, and the main
character of the series (besides the nameless hero) , xardas, into the forbiden/lost area.
why on earth would i want to follow, a singular ending of the game, and in my view not the intendend arc that the pirahnas intended.

for a similar example, look at deus ex and its sequel. the sequel did it a cool way and actually combined some of the endings of the first.

Yeah this truly makes me sad, but I am certain that they will put some changes to the end in the Add-on. We'll see.

I don't see the name as a problem. The "nameless hero" could have adopted a historical name as king in order to build his kingdom on some continuity. A king's name is as much name as it is title or program. This would not worry me. On the other hand, giving the king no name would be weird.

Where is the official statement by EDL? All I see is a post by somebody I don´t know, quoting something attributed to EDL. Maybe EDL wrote this, maybe this guy translated it from a similar German post by EDL yesterday (at WoG). In that case I want to know it.

Where is the original source?

Edit:
I found it:
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=6272758&#post6272758
The quote is original.

It´s quite normal that a king choses a name when he climbs the throne. That´s no problem at all.

EDL also said that the old PC_Hero doesn´t seem to be his usual self. He could be under an unknown power´s influence.
Sounds like LotR to me. That´s a standard device and nothing to get angry about.

Changing the PC is a great idea because it offloads ballast. SB would have to remember everything he did in the last 3.5 games. Now they can create something new and still have the option to let PC_Hero unite with the forces of Good near the end.

A customizable interface is certainly a plus. Of course they will switch everything on per default, to lower Gothic´s traditionally high entry barrier. But everything is fine if we can turn it off.

I agree this sounds LotR but you never know... It may turn out well

Well on the other hand... I am not really comfortable with playing a whole new character... dunno but it will really be strange if I have to talk to NH... It would feel like I talk to a person and... I can't really describe the feeling

Sounds good to me. Of course I will join the NH as his right hand to conquer the world and make it a big evil Empire, MUHAHAHA. >:D

Sounds good to me. Of course I will join the NH as his right hand to conquer the world and make it a big evil Empire, MUHAHAHA. >:D

It could very much be an option faction(good old paladins) except that they will be evil this time

Part of the problem with the name is that we did directly controlled the character for 3 games and now he names himself based on what exactly? I'm assuming fans played the game differently and maybe would want a name that suited their play-style (good,bad,evil,etc.) then have names that mean "honorable ruler" or "cruel tyrant" or whatever. I guess what I'm saying is there are so many variables that it seems weird to be happy with any name I don't have any input on.

I'm sure he'll be referred to as "King", or something. Or maybe he decreed that noone should address him by his first name (in He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named fashion).

Part of the problem with the name is that we did directly controlled the character for 3 games and now he names himself based on what exactly?
Take the name of the original founder of the kingdom, name the new king in honor of that, put a number at the end, done.

The interface
You can customize your interface to your liking and leave out all the windows and bars that you don't like to see. You could even use the old Gothic Interface and don't use any of the new stuff we'll offer. Purists can use the life bar from Gothic 1 only if they are happy with it. Other players might want to use the mini map for example. It is up to you.

Very very good news indeed.

Also happy to hear that you will be able to choose the color palette, rather than there being a different one for the Europe and NA versions.

Back
Top Bottom