CD Projekt RED - Next Xbox Blocking Pre-owned Games Can be a Bad thing

And, soon, you might not be able to buy a lot of games in boxed form at all.

I didn't realize a marketing exec was with us. CD Projekt got where they are through quality, not the hype that has made gamers of this generation so (rightfully) cynical. There's room in the market for both quality and hyped-up, forgettable rubbish, and you'll likely be an overnight fad if you concentrate on the latter.

There is room to have games that are of a good quality and have a good amount of marketing. I thought most people here thought Skyrim was a good game and it also had a lot of marketing. If they would have done as much marketing for The Witcher 2 then it is likely they would have sold a good deal more copies.

Going a bit OOT here, but still on the subject of pro-customer companies. Paradox's CEO has an interesting take on why DRMs are still in use. He claims that the most important bit is not to prevent piracy, but to please investors.
If you’re a CEO, you need to cover your back. And the people who ask, the board, know nothing about games. They’re there because they’re some investment company or something, and they ask “So what are you doing to protect our game from pirates?” And then they can reply “We’re buying this solution from Sony.” So I think it’s been a way to cover your back, previously. Now, I see no reasonable explanation for why people keep on adding it. Especially the kind where you have to be online all the time, like Ubisoft. I think that’s, to me that’s 2003
source

I'd say future expansions and dlcs are better reasons to keep a game rather than replayability which is rarely enough to make a game worthwhile after a year has passed.
That's true - expansions/DLC could work as well. Especially big expansions like Shivering Island.

Lack of resale doesn't seem to be preventing CD-P from taking advantage of Steam (or Steam from being the #1 digital distribution method).

Back
Top Bottom