Diablo 3 - Petition for Offline Single-Player

no, i don't want this, I want it to burn

As much as I approve of this petition the truth is it's not going to happen now or ever. I haven't bought the game nor will I ever buy it and most of all I don't feel like I'm missing out. Just let it go people there are other games to play.

"$60 Price tag should warrant you play the game how you want."

This was good for a laugh.

no, i don't want this, I want it to burn

Diablo 3 could become the highest selling PC game of all time, so I find it very unlikely that it is going to "burn". That being said, it will be possible to play it offline at some point. It will probably be cracked at some point and even if it isn't, Blizzard will probably release a offline mode patch after a decade or so goes by and it is no longer profitable to maintain servers for the game.

D1 and D2 both had offline SP modes.

I have played D3 w/ a Guest Pass - with the new lore and informations stuff that can be read and are voice-acted; and AI companions actually now talking to you, it feels like it should ALSO have an additional OFFLINE single player mode.

SP components can live forever, while MP is up to the players to keep playing. Not many MP-based games live forever, unless the game has built-in LAN support...or modders decide to implement it themselves.

When Borderlands PC had connection issues w/ GameSpy when it first dropped, I played the game offline in SP. Once it got fixed, I was able to FINALLY play it online through GameSpy with people.

You know that Hellgate: London game made by the now defunct Flagship? Yeah, the MP's gone, since Flagship is gone. But, I still can always play the game in SP mode offline, since it's actually there.

Honestly, not a chance. It will never be "cracked" as such, because it's essentially an MMO. There will probably be server emulation some years down the track but, from what I read, those are usually crappy options with missing features. Besides, that doesn't do anything at all to address the always-oline situation.

Blizzard also won't patch it out years down the track, because they'd need to re-write the game, not to mention D2 is still going strong.

It is, as it is. Accept it - or don't spend the cash.

After hearing what a fiasco this game has been since launch from various family members and friends, I don't think even an offline version would entice me to purchase it. I'm just not that desperate for a game.

-Carn

After hearing what a fiasco this game has been since launch from various family members and friends, I don't think even an offline version would entice me to purchase it. I'm just not that desperate for a game.

-Carn

Well, guess you are missing a fun game....Had a couple of rough days with it myself but I have been havin fun. Keep telling yourselves that it is a failure on this board guys, makes you look funny.

This petition is a joke. Diablo 3 sold 5 million (or some stupid absurdly high number) in the first week with its always online model. Why the hell would they take it off when it looks like the vast majority of players don't care :S .

If people want an offline single player Diablo, they'll just play Torchlight 2.

As much as I approve of this petition the truth is it's not going to happen now or ever. I haven't bought the game nor will I ever buy it and most of all I don't feel like I'm missing out. Just let it go people there are other games to play.
+1
Yes there are other good games to play. I'm not complaining.
At most, I'm just missing another good game. It won't be the first nor the last.

+1
Yes there are other good games to play. I'm not complaining.
At most, I'm just missing another good game. It won't be the first nor the last.

I find your nickname and choice of words quite... arousing... it's unexplainable.
Sorry for the off topic.

I find your nickname and choice of words quite… arousing… it's unexplainable.
Sorry for the off topic.
Not bad for a second post. Do you intend with your next posts to be... so... amusing?

Honestly, not a chance. It will never be "cracked" as such, because it's essentially an MMO. There will probably be server emulation some years down the track but, from what I read, those are usually crappy options with missing features. Besides, that doesn't do anything at all to address the always-oline situation.

Blizzard also won't patch it out years down the track, because they'd need to re-write the game, not to mention D2 is still going strong.

It is, as it is. Accept it - or don't spend the cash.

Server emulation is what I was referring to. Why don't you think they would consider patching it out in 10-15 years or after it becomes financially infeasible to maintain? Other companies patch out DRM, allow fans to manage servers that they have abandoned -- it seems like it would be a nice gesture for Blizzard to do for its fans and it would be genuinely appreciated by the future "old school gamers".

How does server emulation make it offline? Anyway, patching out DRM is sometimes as simple as removing a procedure call that accesses the DRM. This essentially requires Blizzard to re-write the game or to release/package/re-create/whatever the Battle.net servers, designed for enormous server-farms, to put it on someone's spare computer. They won't do that. Have they done it for D2?

I could be wrong and it could be easier to do than I believe. Bet it isn't, though.

How does server emulation make it offline? Anyway, patching out DRM is sometimes as simple as removing a procedure call that accesses the DRM. This essentially requires Blizzard to re-write the game or to release/package/re-create/whatever the Battle.net servers, designed for enormous server-farms, to put it on someone's spare computer. They won't do that. Have they done it for D2?

I could be wrong and it could be easier to do than I believe. Bet it isn't, though.

I could certainly be mistaken, but I had assumed there were two ways it could possibly be "cracked" -- by some person or organization hosting a server like what you see with WoW or by having some sort of fake server on your own computer (both would be forms of server emulation, one just localized). If the "server" was located on your computer, I don't see why you would need to be online for it. Then again, I am no expert and don't know if that is even possible.

As for a future patch to remove the online only connection, I really have no idea what they will do, but it does seem to me that at some point they will no longer support all their games with online servers. It just doesn't seem reasonable from a business standpoint. It also seems like an industry practice to eventually give the gamer more control over their product over time (removing activation limits, DRM, etc), and that seems like a reasonable way to keep consumers happy. I am sure it would require a pretty large patch to accomplish it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Blizzard has planned ahead and may have some sort of exit strategy developed for when the time comes that maintaining servers is more expensive than it is worth. I certainly wouldn't expect something like that anytime soon though.

It's not just that the game is built like an MMO with a lot going on server-side, the game was built from the ground up with the ability to interact with other players in mind. Things like drop-rates for useful items are tuned with the existence of an easy trading platform like the AH in mind.

I also find it funny when the same person first complains about the AH being down and/or not working properly, and then complains about maintenance for their 'SINGLE PLAYER GAME'.

I've found that the game has worked about 95% of the time since a day or two after launch. Most of that 5% was scheduled maintenance anyway, so I have no real complaints. I've killed the Butcher in Inferno with my Wizard, and I'm greatly enjoying the game.

Considering that Blizzard still has Diablo 2 and SC1 servers running, I'm not worried about them pulling the plug anytime soon. This is very much 'software as a service' only unlike many other companies who try to do this, Blizzard actually provide you with an ongoing service.

I have no doubt someone will in time get unofficial servers running. There already is an emulator all they need is the data. Have patience it takes time. It's not foolproof.

Back
Top Bottom