Caribbean! - Character Customization Preview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPGWatch staff member Fluent published a new sixteen minute video that explores how you can customize your character in the recently released pirate game Caribbean!

Hello! In this video, I preview the character customization and character building aspects of the newly released RPG/Strategy/Open-world game, Caribbean!, for the PC.

You can find more information for the game here on its Steam page - http://store.steampowered.com/app/293…

This is NOT Early Access, it is an officially released version of the game, although there is still some polishing and balancing to be done, and the developers are very open to player feedback. So, make sure you get on the Steam forums and give your opinions after playing it for awhile!
More information.

Hey, look at that. This actually looks like a real RPG. Nice. This just moved to the top, or close to it, of my "hope to play soon" list. And the combat looks decent in the release trailer below: boarding, climb into the cow's nest to snipe, land battles, seiging forts, sea battles. A more in-depth RPG version of Pirates! Woud be most welcome.

Thanks for sharing, Couch!

Capt., it definitely looks and feels like a real RPG, not only in the character development/customization options, but the loot system, the quest system, etc. I'll make more videos showing off the RPG elements of the game soon. :)

Heh, didn't even read the intro. Didn't realize it was your video. Nice video, Fluent. :)

I look forward to the others.

Thanks, Huggy Face! :)

I think I'm going to wait for a few more patches to really dive into this one. Perhaps I'll make another video or two, but they are still balancing some things, so I want to wait a bit. :)

Hey, look at that. This actually looks like a real RPG. Nice. This just moved to the top, or close to it, of my "hope to play soon" list. And the combat looks decent in the release trailer below: boarding, climb into the cow's nest to snipe, land battles, seiging forts, sea battles. A more in-depth RPG version of Pirates! Woud be most welcome.

To be honest, it's a mod for M&B Warband. The chargen is the same as vanilla M&B, minus the gender option (here you can't play as a woman, big letdown for me).
From what I'm reading the game is lacking of polish everywhere, and they charging $20 for a semi-completed mod with some good features.
My recommendation: Buy M&B Warband instead. The game is awesome, and has plenty of different free mod campaigns, with different settings. Or wait until they have a better and more finished product.

It does look like Mount and Blade, which I really enjoyed at first, but then began to tire of, because the quests and npcs were very generic. (It reminded me of Daggerfall). I'm curious if its done better here. That would be a buying point for me.

@Forgottenlor: The unmodded game isn't wonderful. Try out one of the better mods like Prophesy of pendor or Gekojoku. With them it is a true gem of a game.

@Sumerisle: Thanks for summary. Ill hold my horses for a while and hope they improve the game. I'd love the combo of pirates! and warband.

It does look like Mount and Blade, which I really enjoyed at first, but then began to tire of, because the quests and npcs were very generic. (It reminded me of Daggerfall). I'm curious if its done better here. That would be a buying point for me.

Well, one of my 'issues' with the first Mount & Blade game was the lack of story and involved quests. In Caribbean!, they seem to at least have some lively NPCs and a decent quest system that resembles an RPG, although I have to play more to get a solid feel for it. But I was quite happy to see that there is at least some goals or goal in the quests that the game presents to you. :)

Always liked the Mount&Blade games. I'm a sucker for a good sandbox. I bought Carribbean! a long time ago to support its development. Adding some real story and quests likely isn't a bad thing, even though I was pretty cool with just roaming around with my army. The Viking DLC is supposed to do the same kind of thing. Decided to finally pick it up. Heard they recently put out a big patch, though I'm not sure how much it fixes up its original bugginess.

For anyone interested, there is a Steam sale for the next 17 hours or so:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/50292/

Before buying Viking DLC I'd recommend some of the free mods. They offer more and less buggy content. Have you tried them Capt. huggy?

I think I'm going to wait for a few more patches to really dive into this one. Perhaps I'll make another video or two, but they are still balancing some things, so I want to wait a bit.
I would say wait also as the developer announced more content will be added later.
The Viking DLC is supposed to do the same kind of thing. Decided to finally pick it up. Heard they recently put out a big patch, though I'm not sure how much it fixes up its original bugginess.
The Viking DLC is well worth it as it has been patched a few times. The big surprise is the DLC actually has a story. Basically you join with the Saxons, or Vikings to get revenge.

Before buying Viking DLC I'd recommend some of the free mods. They offer more and less buggy content. Have you tried them Capt. huggy?

Nope. I know there's some WWI multiplayer mod people like, but I'm not interested in MP. And then the Viking DLC people put out a free mod people seem to like. But I haven't tried any, no.

GOG is full of reviews saying it is outrageously incomplete and buggy, calling it an unplayable mess and an alpha.

This is the second time in a row that Snowbird Games releases a game in this state, and they still haven't patched the last one properly (Eator Masters of the Broken World) two whole years later. This is unacceptable and it's discouraging to see people still give their money to this company even though said company has learned nothing from its past mistakes.

Even if I was interested, I still wouldn't pay more than a handful of dollars for this.

It is surely dissapointing but the idea of the game is great. Don't you think so humanity has risen?

Sure, but the execution needs to deliver as well. Mount & Blade was tons of fun. There are some games for which it is better to wait six months to a year before they are in an actually complete state.

Back
Top Bottom