Balrum - Thanks To Our Community

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Balrum has a new update on changes to the game thanks to community input. In case anyone forgot Balrum was announced last month, but the developers pushed back the kickstarter to improve the game.

Here are a few things that are in the game because of our community! A huge thanks for you guys!
icon_smile.gif
And thanks to you, we now know that we are on the right track!

Hope you like the list!
icon_smile.gif

Wound system: For example if a bear critical strikes you, there is a huge chance that you will receive a bleed debuff that might last for a 100 turns, to get rid of this debuff you need to properly tend to your wounds!

Durability: Simple items will degrade with use, but magic items won’t!

A little randomness to crafting: Now you know that nearly in every game if you find a

recipe, that recipe will give you an item exactly what it describes. What we mean by a „little randomness to crafting” is that there is a 20-30% random factor to every crafting.

Crafting outcome: You can fail, critically fail, succeed, and critically succeed in creating your items. For example if you critically succeed in creating your potion it will be more powerful than a simple successful create.

Truly Cruel AI: We wanted to make bosses in the game really hard to defeat, and our community voted yes on our idea, so you can expect bosses that are going to be a real challenge.

Rumors: NPCs will talk about rumors and you will be able to see what they are talking about in small and hopefully not ugly
icon_smile.gif
chat bubbles.

Random events:
-Forest fire
-Boss spawn
-Epidemics
-Rare mobs that only spawn at a specific time and place, for a specific amount of time. NPCs can give you hints where these mobs have been seen ..etc. (or they might spawn if the proper ritual is completed)
Don’t forget replay value: Each big guild in the game will give the player a different approach to the game, also if you choose different skills to level this will also give you a different feel to your character. (this means that we will give true meaning to skills and they will make the game different)

Naturally replay value was in our original plans, but the guys on the forums directed us in the right way with it.
More information.

These concepts are (for the most part) nice and dandy but they do nothing to address my chief concern: how will a turn-based game work with one playable character? I think it will be difficult to implement tactical combat with a party of one. Cruel enemy AI is great if it's actually intelligent and not simply artificial, i.e., giving the bosses absurdly high HP / damage output.

Is this the one that got so much flak for looking like Eschalon? Because man does it look like Eschalon.

Is this the one that got so much flak for looking like Eschalon? Because man does it look like Eschalon.
This was addressed by the developer. It's their own engine. Keep thinking that though its a compliment to the developers. :)
Hi everyone! :)

Thanks for the nice comments!
We have a professional graphics team behind us, so don't worry :)
But it's good to hear that we at least look like eschalon book 3! :)
(for 2 uni students that is a real honor)

Last edited:
This was addressed multiple times to be proven wrong. It's their own engine. Keep thinking that though its a compliment to the developers. :)

Um, the only thing they said was they had their own engine and own artist....that is proven wrong? I'm still not convinced.

Um, the only thing they said was they had their own engine and own artist….that is proven wrong? I'm still not convinced.
Poor words of choice by me as usual. Fixed my old post. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom