Drakensang Blood Mountains

The only failed quests I have are stealth ones. Life's too short to keep reloading!! :)

For sneaking you get additional xp and when you leave you can kill everything to get more.

In this castle I did the sneak quest without to lure the patrols. Disarming traps is enough and then you can kill the few patrols and don't need to do much sneaking.

It's in the other castle that there's luring patrols to do sneak quests and this can be done only without sneaking.

Where do you get that newspaper?

It's in German language only, and is is widely sold in Germany ... You could try ebay Germany for that. Or the F-Shop. Which would be almost directly at the source.
www.f-shop.de

Please note that it is running bi-monthly since the middle of the 80s (no joke) and has just reached number 134 these days (I'm waiting for it to arrive at the few local shops which have it).

For sneaking you get additional xp and when you leave you can kill everything to get more.

But this behaviour would be imho fairly unusual within Aventuria.

This is no game where you act like some random hero, but your are rather acting within a breathing world.

In-game, if people noticed that you have killed everyone, you would get a hefty price on your head.

Within the rule set, this can be a negative attribute or feat (don't know which term fits better): "Being sought after". This means that you've got to be especially careful within towns and/or regions, because people would look out for you.

Sadly the computer game doesn't offer similar in-depth consequences at all.

What are you talking about? We are talking about evil cultists, obviously out of law and unprotected by it. If you start whining about fights with life lost during a CRPG you'll quickly stop play any. :biggrin:

It's in German language only, and is is widely sold in Germany ... You could try ebay Germany for that. Or the F-Shop. Which would be almost directly at the source.
www.f-shop.de

Please note that it is running bi-monthly since the middle of the 80s (no joke) and has just reached number 134 these days (I'm waiting for it to arrive at the few local shops which have it).

Wait... you mean this is an actual newspaper?

Looks like it: Click!

Yes, that's the one just before the newly arriving issue !

The front page has something to do with the daughter named Walbirg of a well-known noble lady named Walpurga going out on an uncertain, yet god-inspired quest, almost alone into uncertain territory. Walbirg is god-inspired (by I think it was Ifirn, the daughter of the god Firun), which is why she goes on that quest.

The rest of this issue is about news from the ice-realm of Glorania (which is part of the so-called "Heptarchy" of the Black Lands) slowly withdrawing. Which is very, very good news, and very, very unexpected.

The quest I wrote above has something to do with this unexpected withdrawal.

You can - by the way - officially download the Aventurischen Boten 109 from here:
http://www.dasschwarzeauge.de/fileadmin/downloads/offiziell/Aventurischer_Bote_109.pdf
It is from 2004, and a lot has changed since then ...
And the "punk" in it is one of Aventuria's most infamous Orcs: Sadrak Wassoi, an old and very dangerous military leader, who was executioned a few years later (I think).

I cannot read german and see the result but the idea seems quite excellent for any who want develop a Rpg license. I wonder why it isn't now regularely translated, are non german speaking people stink??? And I wonder why no other license borrow the idea.

I wonder why it isn't now regularely translated, are non german speaking people stink??? And I wonder why no other license borrow the idea.
The attempt to market TDE in English was a complete failure. We had the main book, an adventure, plus the Aventuria Guide. They did not sell.

But I can understand why. The main book didn't look good and had a crappy small map, plus the magic system was missing. Thus the attempt failed, and there won't be any more material in English.

The attempt to market TDE in English was a complete failure. We had the main book, an adventure, plus the Aventuria Guide. They did not sell.

But I can understand why. The main book didn't look good and had a crappy small map, plus the magic system was missing. Thus the attempt failed, and there won't be any more material in English.

:( How long ago did this take place? Things might be different if the latest game becomes popular in the English-speaking world?

In fact in my country the game was popular, I think I even read a book or book where you are the hero, during the 80's.

:( How long ago did this take place? Things might be different if the latest game becomes popular in the English-speaking world?
The basic rules and the adventure were published in 2003, the Aventuria paperback in 2006 (much too late to have an impact). It did not stand a chance against D&D 3.5, which was also released in 2003. I don't expect any new attempt in this regard.

And as to the computer game, I don't see much interest outside from dedicated CRPG enthusiasts. But I hope I'm wrong with this impression.

In fact in my country the game was popular, I think I even read a book or book where you are the hero, during the 80's.
I don't doubt that, but in recent times, the market for slightly more complicated D&D variants (I use this term loosely, because the game looks somewhat close) is dried out. For people who heard the first time of it, it looks like the typical fantasy heartbreaker.

Well the relative fame seems to have end in the end of the 80's. That said even if I feel interesting a global approach that is quite close to a license management, for CRPG I feel license become too static. There's many points I feel good in the system used by Drakensang but quite many not that good too. So I'd feel ok they try new thing but they won't because of the license.

Now I know a bit better the system used in Drakensang I won't say it is more complicate. At first it seems and some in game information could be improved but it's more clear than what use NWN2.

Overall I feel there's five classes, human mage, elf mage, non mage, half elf mage, half human mage, ha well and the special case of elf ranger. On top of that it's talent system available for everybody including what's more original, the special attacks.

Overall I feel there's five classes, human mage, elf mage, non mage, half elf mage, half human mage, ha well and the special case of elf ranger. On top of that it's talent system available for everybody including what's more original, the special attacks.
I heard Drakensang is somewhat simplified compared to TDE4. Only the magic ability is predefined from start, so that's probably why this looks like 5 classes. There's non-mages, half-mages, and full mages, and there are general, elf-only, and human-only spells. In this respect, an elf ranger is a full mage (could learn all general and elf spells), and the elf fighter is a half-mage (could learn all general and elf spells, excluding those that require mage training).

The basic rules and the adventure were published in 2003, the Aventuria paperback in 2006 (much too late to have an impact). It did not stand a chance against D&D 3.5, which was also released in 2003. I don't expect any new attempt in this regard.

Yes, this was the translation of the TDE 4th edition.

If you look very hard, you can still find the rule book.

(A)D&D dominates everything.

I heard Drakensang is somewhat simplified compared to TDE4.

Yes it is, but I can't say in detail to which extend since I'm not that deep enough into the rule set.

Yes, this was the translation of the TDE 4th edition.

If you look very hard, you can still find the rule book.
I actually have the book. It suffered from its incompleteness.
(A)D&D dominates everything.
Indeed. You would have to replace D&D, because both games are grazing on the same pasture, and there is no compelling reason for people to switch.

I heard Drakensang is somewhat simplified compared to TDE4. Only the magic ability is predefined from start, so that's probably why this looks like 5 classes. There's non-mages, half-mages, and full mages, and there are general, elf-only, and human-only spells. In this respect, an elf ranger is a full mage (could learn all general and elf spells), and the elf fighter is a half-mage (could learn all general and elf spells, excluding those that require mage training).

EDIT: Ha right I didn't remember well about the elf ranger, he is full elf mage.

I actually have the book. It suffered from its incompleteness.

Indeed. You would have to replace D&D, because both games are grazing on the same pasture, and there is no compelling reason for people to switch.

I'm not a license fan even if I see the positive point it can bring. So I'm not well placed to comment it, but from CRPG point of view, D&D bore me. Too often seen and don't like its approach. I fell Drakensang approach more interesting, for the quote I would like a system like in Dungeon Lords, the idea of classes and later choose subclass or specializations but still have a general skill system and some special powers.

Back
Top Bottom