Elder Scrolls Online - Unboxing Imperial Edition

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
ZeniMax Online unboxes the the Imperial Edition of Elder Scrolls Online.

Lead Loremaster Lawrence Schick unpacks the Imperial Edition and describes its contents in detail. No Elder Scrolls fan should pass up the chance to get their hands on the full-color Improved Emperor’s Guide to Tamriel, the 12” Molag Bal Statue, and all the other great collectibles. Watch the video and get a closer look at this ultimate edition of ESO.
More information.

Last edited:
I stopped listening when he said, "Only with the Imperial Edition can you play Imperial characters." Only the most ravenous of TES fanboys would view that as anything other than an ill omen.

But, if people like the game, my hat's off to them. I won't be participating as I'm too tired of the generic game-for-everyone trend that's afflicted MMOs ever since WoW's launch.

Oops I opened a wrong thread... But since I'm here... Am I seeing a new type of pay2win?

Actually, yeah, this is about as P2W as you can get without being blatant about it.

No, it's not a good sign at all.

Unfortunately, things are only going to get worse.

This is what happens when people don't see anything wrong with DLC and pre-order schemes in general.

Essentially, suits are in control and we put them there :)

Exactly how is this a P2W in any way?

It's a "cosmetic" skin to be an Imperial...they have their own Racial Trait tree, just as the other 8 races do. None of their traits are over powered or game changing.

This is a perk, something special for people/fans that want the Collector's Edition and are willing to pay the extra $20 compared to the digital Imperial Edition, for the statue and art/lore book.

The Rings of Mara equate to a 3% exp bonus...certainly nothing to be ecstatic or furious about.

You also get a mount, nice looking, but it's stats are exactly the some as the other in game mounts.

So again, how is anything in the Imperial/Collector's Edition Pay 2 Win?

I think people need to read more and be more educated about what's being offered and how they effect the game before spouting what seems to be the party line of ignorant opinion presented by many as facts...which they are not.

There may come a time where players will be able to purchase the Imperial character through a DLC or in game questline in the future. But for now you're paying to have a different looking character than the majority and a slightly different set of traits, along with some extra physical stuff and a few perks that can be easily found or earned in the game itself.

Pay 2 Win?

I think not.

Exactly how is this a P2W in any way?

It's a "cosmetic" skin to be an Imperial…they have their own Racial Trait tree, just as the other 8 races do. None of their traits are over powered or game changing.

There are 9 other races.

They each have their own racial passives/powers, and these are more significant than is the norm with MMOs. You get percentage-based boosts, which are powerful because they scale - and you get resistances to elements, which will remain relevant throughout.

A person who pays for the Imperial race has access to MORE powers, which means he has a larger arsenal from which to choose. He has access to more optimal builds that match the Imperial passives. Like if you want to play an archer, the vast majority would go with Bosmer - because they have a 15% boost to leveling that skill line. You don't think that matters in a game where PvP can happen from level 10?

P2W isn't literally about paying to win a game, because no game would ever work like that. P2W is about buying in-game advantages for real money. P2W is when you go beyond cosmetics.

It's never used as a literal term, because only the most extreme of stupid F2P games would actually sell victory. No one would play them if that was true.

If you don't consider in-game racial skills or powers advantages, then that's fine - but you should be able to see it's arguably so.

It's not about having an advantage over other races - but over other players.

Is it a big deal by itself? Not really.

Is it pay gated content 100% counter to their promises? Indeed it is.

Is it a cause for concern regarding future developments? Very much so.

P2W isn't literally about paying to win a game, because no game would ever work like that.

Oh, there are..in manifold. Trust me.
Calling ESO p2w is a little bit exaggerated to be fair but it's obviously not a good thing they are doing. The racials in ESO aren't that prominent and are likely only to be used for some as a manner of maximizing a characters potential. A lot like wow, where just a small amount of skill will overcome a racial ability.

(and sheesh it's confusing having 4-5 threads about eso all talking about the same thing...)

Oh, there are..in manifold. Trust me.
Calling ESO p2w is a little bit exaggerated to be fair but it's obviously not a good thing they are doing. The racials in ESO aren't that prominent and are likely only to be used for some as a manner of maximizing a characters potential. A lot like wow, where just a small amount of skill will overcome a racial ability.

(and sheesh it's confusing having 4-5 threads about eso all talking about the same thing…)

Point out an MMO where you literally pay to win it. I'm curious :)

I'm not calling ESO a P2W game, I'm saying the Imperial Edition is as close to P2W content as you can get without being blatant about it. It's like one tiny step away from something that I consider unforgivable given it's a subscription game.

Not in the literal way, but a way that matters.

We don't have to agree, obviously :)

Any game where you can buy items for real money. Example: Diablo 3 until the RMAH shuts down. Also, there are dozens of smaller online games where you basically have to buy items to get anywhere.

Wartune..one that I've played myself. If you have a look at R2games you'll find they have plenty of games that is purely pay to win. You cannot compete with a free character in those games. It's more prominent in browser mmo's, but some client games as well does this (a little bird told me Lineage 2 was pretty bad in the way of p2w but I haven't actually tried it so I can't be too sure).

Any game where you can buy items for real money. Example: Diablo 3 until the RMAH shuts down. Also, there are dozens of smaller online games where you basically have to buy items to get anywhere.

You don't pay to win with the RMAH - you pay to gain in-game advantages that makes "winning" easier.

Just like ESO Imperial Edition - if you want to play a build that matches the Imperial passives.

Wartune..one that I've played myself. If you have a look at R2games you'll find they have plenty of games that is purely pay to win. You cannot compete with a free character in those games. It's more prominent in browser mmo's, but some client games as well does this (a little bird told me Lineage 2 was pretty bad in the way of p2w but I haven't actually tried it so I can't be too sure).

I don't think you're getting my point, sorry.

I'm talking about PAY…. TO…. WIN.

Meaning you pay and then you win - just because you paid.

The reason I'm asking is to make it clear that there is NO SUCH game out there, as that would be stupid.

You're talking about paying to be able to compete - or to get advantages.

That's what I'm saying is the case with ESO IE - even if it's just a tiny step in that direction.

I don't think you're getting my point, sorry.

I'm talking about PAY…. TO…. WIN.

Meaning you pay and then you win - just because you paid.

The reason I'm asking is to make it clear that there is NO SUCH game out there, as that would be stupid.

You're talking about paying to be able to compete - or to get advantages.

That's what I'm saying is the case with ESO IE - even if it's just a tiny step in that direction.

Uhmm..that's what the PAY…. TO…. WIN model is all about ;) It's all about paying to win in competitive modes. Being able to gain combat advantages you couldn't get with a free player. If you're talking about another model then sure we are at different points but we are also not talking about a pay to win model.

You don't pay to win with the RMAH - you pay to gain in-game advantages that makes "winning" easier.

Just like ESO Imperial Edition - if you want to play a build that matches the Imperial passives.

Nonsense. You can pay to gain advantages that equals thousands of hours of gaming with RMAH. That would be very unrealistic to even achieve unless you pay for it. The minor racial bonuses are useless in the end as they mostly affect how fast you level up certain weapon or armor types. In terms of min/max gaming, Breton is likely to beat all others by a fairly wide margin unless it gets adjusted (more mana + magic resistance, mana is used for all classes, not just magic based ones). I very much doubt Imperial will come close to Breton; they've always had rubbish bonuses in comparison.

Uhmm..that's what the PAY…. TO…. WIN model is all about ;) It's all about paying to win in competitive modes. Being able to gain combat advantages you couldn't get with a free player. If you're talking about another model then sure we are at different points but we are also not talking about a pay to win model.

Yes, P2W is about in-game advantages that people who don't pay won't have access to. We agree :)

That's my point.

For instance, all races in ESO get a 15% leveling bonus with a weapon line - and it's safe to assume Imperials get a similar passive.

So, if I wanted to compete with an Imperial in PvP using their weapon of choice - I'd have to gain access to the Imperial race - or I'd be 15% behind if we start around the same time.

Obviously, this isn't a big deal - and I could simply use another weapon.

But if I really wanted that weapon - and I really wanted to level up as fast as an Imperial - I'd have to pay for it.

Again, it's as close to P2W as you can get without being blatant about it.

I stand quite firm on that.

We don't know what other passives they get, but the other races have stuff like 5% more crit damage and 10% more whatever.

Those are percentage-based advantages which scale. Any min-max'er can tell you that's a big deal when you want to optimise your character.

Nonsense. You can pay to gain advantages that equals thousands of hours of gaming with RMAH. That would be very unrealistic to even achieve unless you pay for it. The minor racial bonuses are useless in the end as they mostly affect how fast you level up certain weapon or armor types. In terms of min/max gaming, Breton is likely to beat all others by a fairly wide margin unless it gets adjusted. I very much doubt Imperial will come close to Breton; they've always had rubbish bonuses in comparison.

Ehm, what?

So, if I pay for a single weapon upgrade in RMAH - that equals thousands of hours? You COULD pay for more - but that wouldn't mean "winning" - it would mean being competitive.

Besides, there's no winning you can't achieve in D3 without RMAH. Not anymore, anyway.

You say that percentage-based bonuses don't matter - and then you say Breton beats all the others in terms of min-maxing.

Then you claim you "think" Imperials won't get anything good?

Am I supposed to take any of that seriously?

I know you've played MMOs and I know you understand the concept of high-end gaming with min-maxers. 5% here and 10% there means a GREAT deal to powergamers. I'm not talking about the leveling bonus - but that's defintely not irrelevant to people wanting to level up their weapon lines and compete in PvP.

That's why there were several threads going on at EJ forums about what race for what build in WoW.

If you want to deny the potential impact of racials - that's on you, but it's just not so - sorry.

Last edited:
I found this:

http://skillcalc.massyx.de/

It seems they've toned down the racial skills a LOT - because last time I checked them out, it was more like 7% fire damage bonus and stuff like that.

They've also removed the "Ultimate" powers.

So, it's not as bad as I thought it would be - but we're still talking percentage based powers and if you're a min-max'er, it will matter.

I actually LIKED that racials mattered more - and I hope they haven't toned them down so much because of this Imperial travesty.

I was looking forward to more distinction……

Ehm, what?

So, if I pay for a single weapon upgrade in RMAH - that equals thousands of hours? You COULD pay for more - but that wouldn't mean "winning" - it would mean being competitive.

Beating D3 on Inferno used to require hundreds of hours of non-stop grinding, a lot of luck or 10 seconds on RMAH. I haven't played it in quite a while, but that's what it used to be like when I last played Inferno.

You say that percentage-based bonuses don't matter - and then you say Breton beats all the others in terms of min-maxing.

Then you claim you "think" Imperials won't get anything good?

Am I supposed to take any of that seriously?

I know you've played MMOs and I know you understand the concept of high-end gaming with min-maxers. 5% here and 10% there means a GREAT deal to powergamers. I'm not talking about the leveling bonus - but that's defintely not irrelevant to people wanting to level up their weapon lines and compete in PvP.

That's why there were several threads going on at EJ forums about what race for what build in WoW.

If you want to deny the potential impact of racials - that's on you, but it's just not so - sorry.

I found this:

http://skillcalc.massyx.de/

It seems they've toned down the racial skills a LOT - because last time I checked them out, it was more like 7% fire damage bonus and stuff like that.

They've also removed the "Ultimate" powers.

So, it's not as bad as I thought it would be - but we're still talking percentage based powers and if you're a min-max'er, it will matter.

I actually LIKED that racials mattered more - and I hope they haven't toned them down so much because of this Imperial travesty.

I was looking forward to more distinction……

You've pretty much figured it out already, but I'll point out the obvious anyway: The bonuses are rather small. Breton is the only one that still has enough bonuses to cause any kind of imbalance. If the current bonuses stay, they will no doubt be the power gamer race of choice for all roles except pure tanks who will most likely be Orcs.

Also, these bonuses are generally somewhat similar to previous ES games, which means Imperial will most likely be rubbish compared to Breton.

Back
Top Bottom